Episode 02

RSS

Enjoyable stuff fellas - I intend on clipping part of this show for a future CR segment, in fact!

With regards to the announcement at the end, does this mark the change so that each subsequent BOTI episode features two Dr Who episodes, or is this simply a fluid approach depending on how big each story is?

Each episode will be different. Next time we're covering two stories, because The Edge of Destruction is only two episodes long. If we limited our conversation to just that story, the show would be 15-20 minutes long. So we're tossing in the seven-part Marco Polo as well, thus guaranteeing a normal-length show.

For the fourth episode we'll be back to one story (The Keys of Marinus), but for the fifth we'll most likely do two again (The Aztecs, The Sensorites).

Exactly. We want the episodes themselves to have sufficient meat to them, but we also don't want to be drawing pensions before we get to the new series.

This isn't a hard and fast rule, but if we're covering a story that has four or fewer episodes to it, there's a chance we'll do another story in the same podcast.

Another great show, (not so) old chaps! I actually got to watch The Daleks from Netflix immediately before the show and it fell perfectly. One question: when you come to a show with missing episodes that you plan to cover, for example Marco Polo, can you tell use what media form you will be reviewing it in? That is, the old audiotape recordings that still exist or the special feature that comes with the Edge of Destruction disc (in the current Dr. Who DVD collection on amazon)--where audio is compressed with surviving stills (kind of like those old records Mike plays where you turn the page after a beep)? If you mention it on the show before or in the threads, that helps me keep up watching (I can pick up the recording or whatever form before the next podcast) so I don't lose track and can follow along nicely. I am trying to get an e-mail out before the next fortnightly show that has some intriguing follow-ups to show two.

In that regard, when either of you have time (if possible [not a mean request, since you are providing all this wonderful content on your own time while we listen for free]) to do a quick episode list and for those missing episodes, say at the most the Hartnell and Troughton years, what alternative media form you will probably use, so we can follow along. Until then, pip pip...(I feel I must talk the Kings (or Queens) english after watching so many Doctor Who episodes keeping up with the podcast, even though I have a perfected yuppie accent with a twist of Minnesotan). Also, going to an American school originally chartered, named appropriately after British royalty, and created by the British before the American Revolution, I feel I must return to my fake British colonial roots. After all, Margaret Thatcher spoke at our commencement almost 11 1/2 years ago now :laugh: Of course, her totalitarian opinions nearly made me perform reverse paristalsis. For those who can name this school you will receive a no-prize but the utmost respect of someone who graduated from and owes a very large manure load of money to that college. :doh: You may also win that student loan if you are not careful!

Thanks!

Derek

We'll be watching the reconstructions, which have the audio laid over still shots. When the images and audio aren't describing the action well enough, then text runs at the bottom of the screen, such as "One looks at Barbara, and draws a finger across his throat."

If you look at the Doctor Who episode page on Wiki, it lists all of the missing / reconstructed episodes.

Uh-oh! What did we say...?

OH! I figured it out. Duh!

:happy:

Just be far less complimentary next time around. In fact, as long as you vehmently discuss your hatred of certain things for as long as they are around I'll willingly mix together all the samples to put that segment monkey back in his place.

Just be far less complimentary next time around. In fact, as long as you vehmently discuss your hatred of certain things for as long as they are around I'll willingly mix together all the samples to put that segment monkey back in his place.

I'd do the same for you Stavros, naturally, although John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman saved me the trouble! ;)

I'd do the same for you Stavros, naturally, although John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman saved me the trouble! ;)

Curse you Ian! How dare you point out the verbal tongue lashing I recieved from an internationally known comedic personality...and John Oliver.

Thats it, Mike you get that tattoo and make sure the human being shot is Ian.

One question: when you come to a show with missing episodes that you plan to cover, for example Marco Polo, can you tell use what media form you will be reviewing it in? That is, the old audiotape recordings that still exist or the special feature that comes with the Edge of Destruction disc (in the current Dr. Who DVD collection on amazon)--where audio is compressed with surviving stills (kind of like those old records Mike plays where you turn the page after a beep)?

The reconstructions are actually very, very similar to that special feature on the Edge of Destruction DVD, except that where the Marco Polo on that disc was edited down, what Mike and I see is the full seven-episode story. It's definitely an interesting way to watch it.

Curse you Ian! How dare you point out the verbal tongue lashing I recieved from an internationally known comedic personality...and John Oliver.

Thats it, Mike you get that tattoo and make sure the human being shot is Ian.

There are SO many reasons why Mike shouldn't get body art that involves images of me.

No one hates Rose - in fact I named her my second favorite female companion of the new series - but I think she suffers a bit of Lana Lang Syndrome. I'm not nearly as infatuated with her as her own producers are.

And the way she treats Mickey is entirely realistic, but that doesn't make it admirable behavior.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, is it just me, or are the archive podcast links not working?

Secondly, good job fellas. I'll be back here shortly with more thoughts for you, but I've only just picked up the boxset and am rewatching followed by listening, so I'm a bit behind. I have 'Edge of Destruction' packed for my family abode at Xmas.

Thirdly, I'm getting a tattoo almost as geeky in the near future. As soon as I have the spare cash, I'm getting the Seal of Rassilon on my shoulder.

Will return at my leisure, for further thoughts.

• 9 months later...

Dan & Mike

There's a really good give and take between you guys that I really enjoy. Makes the podcast worth listening to not only for the informative and entertaining discussion about the stories but the way in which they're discussed.

Kinda sorry that you guys won't be covering the Peter Cushing DOCTOR WHO movies as I have fond memories of watching them on Saturday afternoons here in Brooklyn back during the late 70's, just before Channel 9 started showing the Tom Baker episodes. But it's just as well as the Peter Cushing Doctor Who isn't a Time Lord. He's a human scientist/inventor whose name actually is 'Doctor Who' Both movies are a lot of fun but my understanding is that a lot of purists don't like the severe divergence from established canon.

Liked the discussion about Rose Tyler and I agree that she seemed more suited as a Companion to Eccelston's Doctor rather than Tennant's. And yeah, Rose is selfish and self-centered but when people start hating on her I just say; "Well, that's the character. Not every Companion can be Sarah Jane Smith or Donna Noble, y'know."

One of the things I really like about this podcast is that you guys watch the show and critique it based on its historical perspective. It really grinds my grits when I hear so called fans say they can't watch movies/TV shows from the 60's/70's because "the acting is so corny" or "the special effects are so cheesy" Sorry to tell you this folks but they didn't have CGI and Dolby Sound back then. They did the best they could with the technology they had. And they did very well. And an excellent point was made that never in their wildest dreams did the producers/writers/actors back then think that 40/50 some years later, people would still be watching these shows and talking about them. Television was very much disposal entertainment back then.