More Blade films from writer David Goyer

annericelover

Blade was an awesome film, it set the characters, the attitude of Blade and Whistler and had great action/fight sequences. Just awesome. Not to mention the acting ability of Stephen Dorff was amazing.

Blade II, the special effects were great and of course Ron Perlman was in the film, how can it not be good. Great follow-up. Oh and Scuds ass kicking was great too.

Blade: Trinity had an interesting premise, as well as an old idea, but what went wrong here was there was too many things going on. What needed to be done was to have a third film without the Nightstalkers and than create a TV series introducing them. The film was just incoherent.

The series I haven't seen yet, but as far as I know the pilot was good.

The only gripe I have with Blade II, from memory, is that Blade looked TOO good at times. I'm thinking mainly of how CGI his meeting with the vampire ninjas were, and how he knew from the start that everyone was in on the plan to get him. That might well be why Snipes actually sued Goyer for, amongst other things, giving too much screen time over to Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds. Still, the Blade series does go 2-1-3 in terms of quality, much like the X-Men and Spider-Man franchises it helped inspire onto celluloid.

More Blade films? I agree with Goyer that franchises getting rebooted within 5 years of each other can be woefully confusing (I'm looking at you, Norton-Hulk) and despite the fact that he's a bit of an arse, Snipes was damn well-cast in that role. Obviously he can't do anything right now, but I'd be more in favour of a long-awaited 4-quel than a reboot/requel. I think Blade is one film series that could pull it off, despite the fact that bigger franchises have failed in doing that.

That might well be why Snipes actually sued Goyer for, amongst other things, giving too much screen time over to Jessica Biel and Ryan Reynolds.

To be fair to Goyer, Snipe's was extremley hard to work with on set. Most of the time he stayed in his trailer smoking weed while his stunt double did all the screen work, and when he was on set he was unpleasant to say the least. I remember a quote from snipe's stunt double at the time saying something to the effect of "I finally get some actual screentime in a movie and they have to CG my face out in every scene". While that certainly isn't an excuse for why the film was bad, I tend to give Goyer a bit more of a pass on that one.