The Phantom Legacy

JackFetch

An Australian production company on Monday announced it had secured the rights to The Phantom Legacy, a follow-up to the 1996 film, The Phantom, which starred Billy Zane as the masked hero who fights evil from his jungle headquarters.

According to The Associated Press, the adaptation is expected to cost $87 million and will focus on "the Father/Son relationship, and what it means to be The Phantom," scriptwriter Tim Boyle said in a statement. "The film will be set in the present day and will deal with the concept of destiny."

Producer Bruce Sherlock, who also served as executive producer of the first "Phantom" movie, said the new film will be a marked improvement over its predecessor.

"It has the makings of a blockbuster," Sherlock said. "There's some surprises that will thrill the 'Phantom' fans worldwide." Sherlock's Sydney-based Sherlock Symington Productions won the rights to the film.

The movie will likely be shot entirely in Australia, with production set to begin within six to nine months, Sherlock said. Producers are in talks with several "top talent" Australian and American actors, Sherlock said. He declined to provide names.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=51313

While not technically from a comic book, comic strips were the precursor to them so I think it counts. I always felt I would have enjoyed The Phantom more if it were set in modern times.

I actually enjoy reading The Phantom comics. My dad used to buy them in comic book form (so I guess a complete story set from the original strips in each book). It's always been quite big here in Australia, so a complete Aussie production could be worth the look. I hope they stay traditional to the comic and have it so no-one can look at his eyes, that bit always bugged me about the movie. Maybe that is why they are doing a father/son story, as family can look at his uncovered face.

But the movie did give me one of my favourite lines.

Hot Chick: Well, he's obviously in love with her.

Bad Guy: What makes you say that.

Hot Chick: Because he could have had me.

Fantastic line. And the hot chick was CZ Jones. Yumm