What's made you cry?

Kscriv

Well after nearly being brought to tears yesterday watching an old episode of the Raccoons I decided to create this list. What episodes of TV shows, or movies for that matter have brought you to tears, and to add to that, what's put you on the brink?

Brought me to tears (post-puberty):

-The O.C. - "The End's Not Near, It's Here" - What can I say, it was the last episode, I was sad to see it go not to mention that the last 10 minutes kind of leaves everything up in the air before hitting you with the end, one of the few where I cried with a smile on my face.

-Kimi ga Nozomu Eien/Rumbling Hearts - "Mayauru's Gift" - I came close many times to crying during this series, holding back mainly due to not wanting to cry in public (watched the episodes on my PSP on the hour ride home from school, I don't want to cry then) but the last episode did it, all alone, finishing the episode which didn't end the way I wanted, but still being great. Then listening to some sad music just got the works flowing.

-WWE RAW - Nov. 14th, 2005 - Not really the same as the others but Eddie's death just hit me so damn hard.

What's Come Close:

The Raccoons - "The One That Got Away!" - For a show which I had written off as only had loved because of nostalgia this totally shocked me. The pigs unknowingly dump toxic waste in the lake which ruins it. There is no happy ending, no quick fix. Someone should show this to Ted Turner because this is the show he wanted. The three things that made it really sad were the montage of the characters camping/swimming/canoeing/fishing/hanging out around the lake, Bert saying there will always be the memories, only for Bently to say he didn't have any, and most of all Cyril just breaking down when he heard the news.

Gundam SEED - "Phase 50" - If it weren't for my friend sitting next to me I'd have bawled my eyes out when the bodies started piling up.

Will add more later.

It doesn't take much for me, really. If' I'm invested enough in whatever I'm watching/playing, I'm pretty much at the mercy of the creators.

TV

Doctor Who - Father's Day

LOST - At least once a season, most notably the phone call between Desmond and Penny from last season

Movies

After I broke up with my girlfriend, it was pretty much every single movie I saw. Even in comedies I was able to find depressing shit. Usually though, movies don't get to me cause I mostly watch horror.

Games

Ending of Metal Gear Solid 3

Endings of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross

Space scene in Final Fantasy 8 (yeah, fuck off)

Both Ico and Shadow at one point

Silent Hill 2

More on the almost list (I was lazy earlier)

Superman: The Animated Series - "Apokolips...Now!" - Dude, Turpin's death and Superman's reaction are heartbreaking.

Gotham Knights - "Growing Pains" - Once again, dude...Annie gets killed, she didn't deserve it, she didn't ask for it, it just hurts to watch.

Kaleido Star - "An Amazing Comeback" - Everything builds up to the legendary maneuver and it is an amazing high, which only makes the low following it even worse.

Cowboy Bebop - "The Real Folk Blues" - If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, I wont spoil it.

The ending of Rocky always hits me hard.

I still don't know why, but the "it's not your fault" scene in Good Will Hunting killed me.

When Batman says "Gentlemen, it's been an honor" during Starcrossed, I have to bite my lip to stop the oncoming tears.

Sorry, Dubs, but Rose's "I love you" scene breaks my heart every single time.

I know this is a TV / movies thread, but I have to mention a few scenes in Preacher. The first kiss between Jesse and Tulip got me the first time I read it. And Jesse winning Tulip back at the end of the series, oh my god! When I realized what he was doing, I literally whispered,

"He's crying."

That was such a huge thing for the character; it felt like I was watching a close friend have an honest emotional breakthrough.

I know this is a TV / movies thread, but I have to mention a few scenes in Preacher. The first kiss between Jesse and Tulip got me the first time I read it. And Jesse winning Tulip back at the end of the series, oh my god! When I realized what he was doing, I literally whispered,

"He's crying."

That was such a huge thing for the character; it felt like I was watching a close friend have an honest emotional breakthrough.

This too.

Guest DCAUFan1051
The O.C. - "The End's Not Near, It's Here" - What can I say, it was the last episode, I was sad to see it go not to mention that the last 10 minutes kind of leaves everything up in the air before hitting you with the end, one of the few where I cried with a smile on my face.

I feel the same way as kellen about this.

Others would be:

Good Will Hunting- The Scene where they're talking about the 1975 World Series and the end where they hug.... but I laugh when he asks Sean if this violates the Dr. Patient Relationship and Sean replies not unless you grab my ass.

Bicentenial Man- at several points throughout but the ending gets me every time.

Transformers The Movie 1986: When Prime Dies

Back To The Future Part III: When the car gets destroyed by the train at the end

I know there are more but that's what I can think of at this moment.

I'm gonna go all emo on you all now.

Mark's death in ER. That gorgeous version of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" playing, the images of the beach and how peacefully he slipped away, I totally got me.

A couple of Buffy and Angel episodes too, but I'll spoiler tag these because they are so major and some people havn't watched the whole thing yet-

Oz leaving. It was an out of nowhere self-destruct for the perfect couple.

Buffy leaving at the end of season 2. She killed her true love to save the world just as he's finally been saved himself, and was completly messed up by it. She took her mothers earlier heat of the moment outrage as read and left Sunnydale and her friends behind with Sarah McLachlan's "Full of Grace" playing in the background.

Sleep Tight. As an episode this was Angel at its absolute best, Wesley betrays Angel and steals his son (for what he believes are honourable reasons). He promptly gets his throat cut and is left to die, and Connor is stolen by Holtz. Angel is forced to let Holtz take him and they are promptly sucked into a hell dimension. The show ends with Angel utterly destroyed by the loss of his son, so pitiful that even his assembled foes leave him because this is the very worst torment he could be in.

Fred's death. Infected by an ancient god Fred is burning from the inside out. Angel and Spike rush halfway around the world but can't save her without killing millions. Wesley stays by her side, comforting her as she slips away, completly terrified by whats happening to her. They'ed only just finally hooked up the episode before after 3 whole seasons of tension between them, at least on Wesley's side.

The very worst- Tara's death. Out of nowhere after her reconciliation with Willow a gunshot sounds, Willow is splattered with blood and Tara murmers "Your shirt" before collapsing to the ground. Tara was the best character in any show I've ever seen, and I don't mean she was the most complex or most iconic, but she was the best person in any show I've watched. Her sudden brutal death in the midst of a long-awaited reunion was utterly heartbreaking.

Futurama- Everyone always mentions Fry's dog waiting its entire natural life for him to return, and thats a damn strong moment, but equal to that is Fry's sudden revelation that his brother didn't betray him, he loved him enough to pass on everything that was best of him to his own son. He passed on Fry's name, his ambitions and his lucky 7 leaved clover. When you see the legend on the monument "Named for his uncle, to carry on his spirit" I'm pretty close to blubbing like a kid whose christmas presents have been sold for drugs.

The finish of Matchstick Men.

She isn't really his daughter, his ex actually had a miscarriage and its just his best friends way of conning him out of his nest egg? Thats just fucking BRUTAL, its utterly heartbreaking.

Transformers The Movie 1986: When Prime Dies

Oh god yeah, thats ridiculously sad.

The first movie I cried at was Harry and the Hendersons, at the end. I know.

Big Fish because the father in that movie is so much like my grandfather it's ridiculous. And it came out a month or two after he died. I was a total mess after that one.

Platoon and Born on the Fourth of July both destroy me.

After that it was The Basketball Diaries. There's parts of that movie that echoed my life so closely it was eerie enough to change my life and make better decisions.

I am not a Jeph Loeb fan but I cried at least twice during the Fallen Son miniseries.

I cried at The Vanishing and a few others too but those were more about experiential relief releases than actual emotional connection.

Two Pink Floyd songs: "When the Tigers Broke Free" and "High Hopes"

I find I cry a lot more lately as I get older. It's weird.

Off the top of my head, four things that have made me cry:

-Most of the later half of Saikano,

when Chise's slowly degenerating and there's nothing Shuuji can do about it

. Lord, that's a depressing series. Also, the second episode of the OVA.

-

When Seita is burying Setsuko

in Grave of the Fireflies. That was the breaking point for me.

-When I hear most songs by Death Cab for Cutie, off their Plans album. Bad associations with an ex.

-At the end of Wall-E, when

it looked like Wall-E had been completely wiped in EVE's attempt to rebuild him.

I mean, come on! That was a sucker punch, right there.

-The latter episodes of the first season of Victorian Romance Emma's first season,

when Mrs. Stonwar dies and Emma decides to part from William

, and the middle episodes of Victorian Romance Emma's second season,

when Eleanor gets her feeling dragged through the mud by William

Futurama is a damn touching series really isn't it! I've got 3 episodes that always make me tear up

- Fry's Dog

- Wake Up Leila - This episode makes me cry every single time I watch it. And the nice little touch right at the end when they tell each other to have a shower

- The Fry's Brother/Nephew one

There are other Buffy and Angel moments, but this one always stands out for me.

- I Will Remember You - God this episode makes me literally sob every time I watch it, very touching stuff.

There are tons of movies as well, but I just can't remember them at the moment.

- It's a Wonderful Life. Swear to God. George gets crapped on throughout the movie and just when things are at their bleakest, all his friends ome through for him without thinking twice about it... and I just about hold it together. Then Marty says, "To my big brother George... the richest man in town." Fucking lose it.

- Schindler's List. The very end, when Neeson breaks down.

-Whale Rider

-I Never Saw Another Butterfly (It's a play based on a book that is a compilation of pictures, poems, and stories written by children in a concentration camp called Terezin. I know that this thread for movies/TV shows that brought me to tears, but this play is a real tear-jerker)

-Animal Cops on Animal Planet. (It breaks my heart to see how cruelly people can treat animals)

-How in the hell did I not mention Saikano...."I'm Sorry"

-The aforementioned Futurama episodes.

-Not TV/Movie, but the entire final volume of Genshiken got to me.

-The ending of BECK when the band started to fall apart was really sad

-NANA had several times where I was close to tears (no spoilers now)

And now for some stuff I cried over before I hit puberty (copy/pasted from a post on the Otakon boards)

-Sailor Moon "A Crystal Clear Destiny" the up/down/up/down feeling of this episode had the 7 year old me as a wreck by the end, Darrien (yes Darrien) finds out Serena is Sailor Moon, he reveals himself as Tuxedo Mask. OMG ALl the Rainbow Crystals. OMG SILVER CRYSTAL! OMG SERENA IS THE PRINCESS!!!!!!! OMG THEY GOT DARRIEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not to mention having My Only Love playing the whole way through was just great.

-Pokemon "Bye Bye Butterfree" episode. I loved Butterfree, I mean it was the first pokemon Ash caught, I loved that guy...in my head I had an awesome idea for him to return to way back when.

-Digimon "The Fate of Two Worlds" So sad to see it all end (not knowing there would be a season 2) though the scene with TK and Patamon was quite therapeutic.

-Digimon "A Milklon Points of Light" Once again sad to see it all end (while there was a season 3, it was not in the same universe) such a great way to end it all, I couldn't help but have a tear come to my eye.

Bwhahaha! Despite my sizable submissions to this thread I feel compelled to mock you for getting emotional over Digimon. I draw the line of respectability conveniantly just under my own tastes.

Whats that you say? Oh course I've never watched Digimon. Never. Leave me alone! :ph<_<r:

In the episode of Fresh Prince of Bell-Air when Will's real father comes back to only desert him once again, Will flips out and cries "Why don't he want me man?" and Uncle Phil hugs him, I get the Demi Moore Ghost tear running down my cheek. Always.

I will add the episode where Will gets shot and Carlton gets a gun.

Others:

Homeward Bound - Shadow falling down the hole and not able to make it up always does it.

The Buffy Episode Fool For Love. When Buffy repeats the words "You're Beneath Me", I just feel so bad for Spike.

MASH - When Henry's helicopter gets shot down.

Can't think of others at the moment but I know I am forgetting some.

In the episode of Fresh Prince of Bell-Air when Will's real father comes back to only desert him once again, Will flips out and cries "Why don't he want me man?" and Uncle Phil hugs him, I get the Demi Moore Ghost tear running down my cheek. Always.

I will add the episode where Will gets shot and Carlton gets a gun.

There is also a pretty strong episode where Carlton gets pulled over driving because he is black, and he just can't accept that they were being racist. He clashes with Will throughout and only realizes the truth when he talks to his dad at the end.

Fresh Prince gets bonus points for making the most of what little drama it had.