Target sells my childhood

JackFetch

I was in Target last night and couldn't believe what I saw in the toy section.

1. A two 1/2 foot long Millenium Falcon.

2. A G.I. Joe playset including Destro, a Hiss Tank, and a Trouble Bubble.

The Falcon I can almost see since Star Wars is still big, but kids today have no idea what G.I. Joe is, much less the 80s version I grew up watching and reading.

It's probably the same reason that my 4 year old is teaching her classmates at preschool to play Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl, despite the fact that Wonder Girl hasn't been on TV for 30 years. We grow up, find that we have some money and can actually buy stuff that we couldn't have afforded when we were this age, and get our kids hooked on it. My daughter's watched everything from the original Teen Titans cartoons from the Aquaman show in the 60s, to the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, Superfriends, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends - and most all of this was cancelled 20 years before she was born (Probably the same way I grew up listening to the Beatles and the Beach Boys).

Chris

2. A G.I. Joe playset including Destro, a Hiss Tank, and a Trouble Bubble.

but kids today have no idea what G.I. Joe is, much less the 80s version I grew up watching and reading.

Actually, I'm in the middle of a business book at the moment and they mention Hasbro having 1 simple business idea, "acquiring and renewing tried-and-true toys, reintroducing and recycling them at just the right time to increase profit per classic brand". I only read it 80 pages ago :)

Kids don't need to know who it is, just like you didn't know who it was when it first came out. If the company waits long enough, as the saying goes, what was old is new again.

Kids don't need to know who it is, just like you didn't know who it was when it first came out. If the company waits long enough, as the saying goes, what was old is new again.

After all, the original G.I. Joe action figures go back to what? the 40s? (Of course, the concept changed a bit since then...) A lot of the toys that we think about as from our childhoods probably go back a lot further than we think - they just keep getting reintroduced. How long has the Etch-A-Sketch been around? The Slinky?