X-men 90's Animated Series

elnino14

So I bought this series off a site that sells dvds for many cartoon series that can not be found on store shelves (if you want it pm me and I'll give it to you). I was weary considering how unreliable many of these sites are but I did my research and found that many people have had no problem from this site. I decided to give it a go.

Anyways, I've had this 4-disc set of X-men the Animated Series for about a half a year now and I wanted to rewatch the series. I figure with the holiday and the break from school, now is as good a time as any. I loved this show when I was younger, I loved this show about 6 years ago when I rewatched some episodes in my freshman year in college, and hopefully I'll love this show now.

So in here I'll be posting my thoughts on the series as I move along. Whee.

Episodes 1-2: Night of the Sentinels

I have these first two episodes practically memorized because I've seen them so many times (remember that promotion with Pizza Hut selling two VHS tapes from a long time ago, yeah, the only reason I've ever been to Pizza Hut).

Although the first half is used to introduce the characters of the X-men team through the eyes of the ultra-annoying Jubilee, it was a good idea, that I think was later utilized in the first X-men film with Wolverine/Rogue being introduced to the X-men. There's a long build-up to Wolverine as you don't even see him until the danger room fight with Gambit halfway through the episode, but it immediately sets him up as an awesome bad ass, which is why it's so funny that Jubilee knocks him off Gambit, with Beast and Morph laughing at him.

The first episode does a great job introducing the characters but there's way too much annoying Jubilee. The second episode kicks it up a notch as not only is there an awesome fight sequence with team's mission turning into an absolute disaster, it's also a pretty dark no-nonsense episode with the arrest of Beast and the killing of morph. The second fight at the sentinel factory is just so the episode doesn't end on an absolute morbid note and allows the team to get a little bit of retribution but doesn't compare to the battle at the mutant registration facility.

Overall, the quieter moments are more awesome than the action with Jubilee talking about the first time she kissed a boy, about what happened when her dad found out, the short fight between Professor X and Cyclops about the morality of the mission, and the short glares and scuffles between Cyclops and Wolvie, and of course, the various methods of mourning (or in Wolvie's case, AVENGING) morph.

The animation itself isn't that great, it's a bit choppy at times, but it's certainly not unwatchable. You won't marvel at it like Batman's animation, but it won't want to make you check your internet connection like Scooby Doo or Speed Racer.

These episodes are used to establish the tone, themes, and setting of the X-men world...but at the same time establishes the characters of the X-men and it does it ALL pretty well I might add. It's unfortunate that one of those characters is Jubilee and much of the episodes hinges on her involvement, from her being chased by sentinels in the mall, to her roaming the X-men halls, to her capture and rescue at the sentinel factory, which resulted in an underwhelming battle.

Next up the double feature involving Magneto (Enter Magneto and Deadly Ruins).

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DCAUFan1051

Yeah what Jack said lol

I'm actually going to import the X-Men DVD's tomorrow morning I hope...... I don't trust the non offical DVD releases and the websites that sell them.... but that's just me..............Ooooh the TNBA Theme is on woohooo :ot::D

I got the 8 disc bootleg at a horror convention two years ago and tried to watch the whole thing in one sitting. I got to about disc two before I'd had enough. Despite having some legit great moments, the show just doesn't hold up as well as my memory of it.

Guest DCAUFan1051

As I stated before I love the 1992 X-Men show regardless of it's flaws I noticed something tonight while watching the episode Beyond Good & Evil Part 4 thought Magneto's voice actor wasn't the same. The voice just didn't sound like what I remember it to be in the majority of the other episodes within the series.

And after reading through the voice actors list at imdb I have no idea whom any of these people are. :shocked::doh:

As I stated before I love the 1992 X-Men show regardless of it's flaws I noticed something tonight while watching the episode Beyond Good & Evil Part 4 thought Magneto's voice actor wasn't the same. The voice just didn't sound like what I remember it to be in the majority of the other episodes within the series.

And after reading through the voice actors list at imdb I have no idea whom any of these people are. :shocked::doh:

They seemed to be a group that worked together - a lot of them did work on the Silver Surfer and Avengers cartoons a few years later (and it is reaaaaaally obvious that they are the same actors). I'm pretty sure that the same actor voice Magneto in every episode, but I couldn't swear to it. George Buza, who voiced Beast, was actually the truck driver who gave Rogue a lift in the beginning of the first X-Men movie. (and actually, the actors who voiced Xavier and Jubilee from Evolution both had cameos in X2 - David Kaye was the host of the televised debate between Hank McCoy and Steven Trask and the woman who voiced Jubilee was the tour guide in the White House when Nightcrawler attacked). That actually sounds like a Marvelverse FOX TV show - "Tonight! They live among you, plotting! Tonight you see the deadly results...WHEN MUTANTS ATTACK!" Then Sean Hannity will point out that it's all due to liberals.

(Like I said, Mike, I thought Evolution was a better show. That certainly doesn't mean I don't enjoy or watch or memorize meaningless details about the second X-Men series...because we all know that "Pryde Of The X-Men" was the first.)

Chris

So I bought this series off a site that sells dvds for many cartoon series that can not be found on store shelves (if you want it pm me and I'll give it to you). I was weary considering how unreliable many of these sites are but I did my research and found that many people have had no problem from this site. I decided to give it a go.

Anyways, I've had this 4-disc set of X-men the Animated Series for about a half a year now and I wanted to rewatch the series. I figure with the holiday and the break from school, now is as good a time as any. I loved this show when I was younger, I loved this show about 6 years ago when I rewatched some episodes in my freshman year in college, and hopefully I'll love this show now.

So in here I'll be posting my thoughts on the series as I move along. Whee.

Episodes 1-2: Night of the Sentinels

I have these first two episodes practically memorized because I've seen them so many times (remember that promotion with Pizza Hut selling two VHS tapes from a long time ago, yeah, the only reason I've ever been to Pizza Hut).

Although the first half is used to introduce the characters of the X-men team through the eyes of the ultra-annoying Jubilee, it was a good idea, that I think was later utilized in the first X-men film with Wolverine/Rogue being introduced to the X-men. There's a long build-up to Wolverine as you don't even see him until the danger room fight with Gambit halfway through the episode, but it immediately sets him up as an awesome bad ass, which is why it's so funny that Jubilee knocks him off Gambit, with Beast and Morph laughing at him.

The first episode does a great job introducing the characters but there's way too much annoying Jubilee. The second episode kicks it up a notch as not only is there an awesome fight sequence with team's mission turning into an absolute disaster, it's also a pretty dark no-nonsense episode with the arrest of Beast and the killing of morph. The second fight at the sentinel factory is just so the episode doesn't end on an absolute morbid note and allows the team to get a little bit of retribution but doesn't compare to the battle at the mutant registration facility.

Overall, the quieter moments are more awesome than the action with Jubilee talking about the first time she kissed a boy, about what happened when her dad found out, the short fight between Professor X and Cyclops about the morality of the mission, and the short glares and scuffles between Cyclops and Wolvie, and of course, the various methods of mourning (or in Wolvie's case, AVENGING) morph.

The animation itself isn't that great, it's a bit choppy at times, but it's certainly not unwatchable. You won't marvel at it like Batman's animation, but it won't want to make you check your internet connection like Scooby Doo or Speed Racer.

These episodes are used to establish the tone, themes, and setting of the X-men world...but at the same time establishes the characters of the X-men and it does it ALL pretty well I might add. It's unfortunate that one of those characters is Jubilee and much of the episodes hinges on her involvement, from her being chased by sentinels in the mall, to her roaming the X-men halls, to her capture and rescue at the sentinel factory, which resulted in an underwhelming battle.

Next up the double feature involving Magneto (Enter Magneto and Deadly Ruins).

Um, hate to be a rain on anyone's parade but can I offer a caveat about sites offering series that can't be found in stores? Odds are they are illegal bootlegs and of poor quality. I hear thing like this all the time on the Johnny cash.com radio show about bootlegs of the Johnny Cash TV show on DVD. All I'm saying to all of you is be careful.

Um, hate to be a rain on anyone's parade but can I offer a caveat about sites offering series that can't be found in stores? Odds are they are illegal bootlegs and of poor quality.

Well... um... yeah. We're aware.

Watched episodes 3 and 4 (Enter Magneto and Deadly Reunions),

I'm a bit disappointed how Magneto is handled, especially in episode 3, I understand the need for dumbing down certain things for the children audience but the glossing over of Magneto's origins kind of bugs me. What does come off particularly strong though is the differences in philosophy and this is all helped by the grand speeches made by Magneto. I particularly hate how Magneto's helmet doesn't protect him either. The first episode is missing a lot of emotional punch and the action sequence is kind of lame (although I think this was all done to reference the encounter in the comics) but the second episode has better action sequence and more emotional punch in spades. Both episodes really build to two big confrontations, the first between Magneto and Xavier and the second between Sabretooth and Wolverine. Both confrontations really live up to the build, although the wolverine vs. sabretooth fight is slightly marred by Jubilee's involvement. The comparison between the two confrontations is interesting but isn't really taken to it's full potential.

Also the second episode has a lot of other fun moments such as Rogue kissing Cyclops and Storm's fear of doom. But the first episode is fairly dull.

One of the most interesting things about this show is the continued use of subplots, with Beast's trial ongoing, the political actions all happening in the background as Senator Kelly announces his candidacy for President, and the social climate of the whole mutant idea.

7.5/10

Guest DCAUFan1051

I'm watching the episode No Mutant is an island on tv right now the theme is slightly altered and the imagery is definitely different this is the first time I've ever seen the opening title sequence altered

Episode 5: Captive Hearts

Morlocks, great. I really really abhor this episode. It's rather boring because frankly the Cyclops/Jean Grey romance is boring and tame. The romance triangle with Cyclops/Jean/Wolvie was portrayed much better in the films.

As interesting it might be to see mutants square off against mutants, the series is at it's best when it's dealing with the hatred of mutants by society. Nobody cares about the underground, unacceptable mutants, nobody cares about Callisto wanting a mate, and nobody cares about Storm proving her leadership skills. It's all so dull.

The only interesting aspect of this episode, and I find myself saying this a lot lately, is Wolverine. His desire to be loved, to be Jean's, his assault on the fake Cyclops, all these make up the best parts of this episode.

5/10

Episode 6: Cold Vengeance

Wolvie vs. Sabretooth Round 2. This a Wolverine-centric episode dealing with his search for peace, and how his demons tend to follow him (in this case Sabretooth) so he can never really achieve true peace. It's rather interesting that Wolvie finds peace in a society that does not know what a mutant is (maybe a play off of a color-blind society) but that the true adherence towards mutant/human peace is pride of man (shown by the jealous villager).

Sabretooth makes a lot of hokey speeches in this one, but it's all there to set up the fight at the end of the episode. It's FOX and it's a cartoon, so certainly the fight sequences aren't all that great. But it's a fun little episode with a decent amount of action to liven it up a bit.

The annoying sequences comes from the X-mansion with Cyclops being a complete dick one second, and then a complete brown-noser the next. His character takes a few steps back this episode because he totally brown-noses Xavier while earlier he had a completely different opinion, while in the first episode he was questioning the morality of Xavier's orders, posing some tough questions about their mission making them look like terrorists.

7.5/10

Episode 7: Slave Island

Storm, Jubilee, and Gambit take the forefront here. They tease Gambit as a traitor and it works because it is very early in the series, and Gambit has always been the most mysterious of the X-men. It's a half-way decent episode because of this Gambit tease and because of the social climate of the Human vs. Mutant serial storyline that proceeds throughout the series and especially during the first season.

Storm gets some stuff to do, but the dullness of her character shines through. There's not much to her outside of the fact that she's motherly and she's claustrophobic. Jubilee also gets some stuff to do, she takes a lot of initiative in this episode in her escape plans, which should make the kiddies happy, her innocence and annoyingness shines through here.

The episode falls flat. Ultimately you don't care. The guest-star is Cable and it's an utterly random guest appearance which makes it hilarious. His whole sub-plot makes no sense so most of his appearances are hilarious. His character and the theme for his character is really bad-ass though. They also tease a whole bunch of things for the rest of the season, such as the Master Mold, Cable's appearance, Stryker and Trask Sentinel duo, etc...

6/10

Episode 8: The Unstoppable Juggernaut

I'm the Juggernaut bitch! Juggs makes his first appearance and they get him down pretty well. His anger towards Xavier isn't even expressed through him but through Rogue, which was neat as well.

It's a pretty simple X-men vs. Super-villain episode but it's got an intriguing mystery plot to pad it out and a theme about teamwork to stuff down our throats. This episode also guest-stars Colossus, who makes a fun little appearance with the mistaken identity plot pointing towards him as the culprit.

There's some interesting moments that back to the comics with Wolvie and Jubilee working together but it builds to a terrible line where Jubilee says, that wolverine and her can do anything. So yeah, still annoying. The final scene builds on the Jubilee and Wolvie relationship from earlier.

The final battle is actually a pretty good one and it really does show each individual using their powers and their strength in a fight.

Also a short appearance by Beast, that's pretty damn cool.

I really like this episode it's got an interesting plot, some nice building of relationships, and some cool guest appearances.

Also Wolvie has a line about Collusus after getting thrown that was like, "What an arm," that made me chuckle.

8/10

Finished episodes 9-13 which concludes the first season of the X-men the Animated Series,

Episodes 9-10: The Cure and Come the Apocalypse

These episodes could be watched separately, but work better together. The first episode obviously deals with a "faux" cure, and is Rogue-centric in terms of how she deals with her powers and her inability to touch people (a barrier to get close to anybody). It's a pretty sappy episode, but it makes sense, it's an essential part of the Rogue character and if anybody would consider taking the Cure it'd be Rogue. This episode has several guest appearances including Mystique, Apocalypse, Angel, Pyro, Avalanche, and Cable. Mystique and Apocalypse are the main baddies, it's a good intro to both characters. Apocalypse is very different than the other mutants we've seen, he lacks the human qualities, is much more megalomaniacal than any of the other villains int this show. Mystique is a pawn, a lost pawn, and Pyro and Apocalypse are cannon fodder and rather void of any entertainment value and don't serve as good means of moving the plot forward or comedic value. I'm not a huge fan of these episodes, they seem rather out of place in the whole mutant vs. humans theme, that runs through most of the first season. It makes sense only in that it shows how another point of view in that Apocalypse doesn't care about mutants or humans, just wants to rule the world. Anyways, Archangel makes an appearance as one of Apocalypse's baddies and serves as an interesting foil and opposite to Rogue's plight. 7/10

Episodes 11-12: Days of Future Past parts 1 and 2

I really really like these episodes, the future sequences are really cool to watch. The interactions between Wolverine, Bishop, and Gambit are great and oftentimes hilarious. And Wolverine throwing lines left and right, "At least I don't lose my hair." The whole episode really showcases the theme and brings it back after the derailment during the Apocalypse episodes. The won points are Storm is as dull as ever, the fight against Nimrod was a bit lame, and Pyro and Avalanche make their return (along with Blob) as more cannon fodder, although Blobs interactions with the X-men are fun because of dumb-witted he is. But there are plenty of high-points with this episode having a mystery angle running through them, Mystique also makes another appearance and has a great moment with Rogue building off the previous two episodes. The whole love-hate relationship between Gambit and Wolvie makes another appearance, which will be a plot-line that is tied up in the next episode. Senator Kelly comes back to the forefront, with his importance and the attacks spurning the actions in the next episode, the whole season is really all coming together at this point. And plus a Punisher appearance. 8/10

Episode 13: The Final Decision

What a fun episode, the plot sucks and rehashed with the Sentinels (AI) trying to take over the world, but everything is built to this episode. It wraps up a lot of plot-lines involving every single member of the X-men (except for Storm, maybe) and it an action packed smash it up episode. The Gambit/Wolverine love/hate relationship comes to a head, the Gambit Rogue flirtations come to a head, the relationship between Magneto and Xavier comes full circle, Beast's sub-plot all season comes to a head, Wolverine comes to term with Morph's death, Cyclops and Jean's relationship comes to a head, Cyclops leadership skills fully bloom, the mutant-human politics is on the upswing, and even Jubilee becomes a full-fledged member of the X-men by getting in on the action. A really worthwhile ending to the season. And just so you know it's not over yet, there's even a teaser for Season two. 9.5/10

FINALLY!!!

Disney will start releasing X-Men: The Animated Series on DVD. Now this of course is going to coincide with the Wolverine film. But maybe if sales are good, they'll release the equally good Spiderman; The Animated Series.

Here's the link:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/X-Men-Vol...Announced/11203

Guest DCAUFan1051
It's great that they're releasing DVDs, but season sets would be preferred.

agreed

why not just release the cartoon as a complete series set it'd be much easier thwn volumes!!!