X-men 90's Animated Series

elnino14

I'm looking forward to Spidey myself.As for the rest of the series, there are some good ones in there. There's a time-travel one before "Beyond Good & Evil" that, among other things, has Storm with the mohawk and we get a world without Xavier. There's also an episode with Wolverine and Captain America as well as an episode with the Brood that is kinda creepy.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't their an episode where you find out Storm and Logan get together?

Also I know I keep brining it up, but is Jubilee as annoying now as she was when the show was first on the air.

Yes, there was. It was a future episode I believe.

I don't know if the Spidey and Cap episodes will be on there because of licensing issues.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Wasn't their an episode where you find out Storm and Logan get together?

Also I know I keep brining it up, but is Jubilee as annoying now as she was when the show was first on the air.

Jubilee gets better over time I think and logan and storm with mohawk get together within Beyond Good & Evil that is the big time travel ep with Apocalypse. Bishop keeps having to time travel back and forth because the outcome never gets correct even if they save Xavier. I dunno if that made since, but when I was looking at X-Men's imdb season listing and there isn't a time travel saga before Beyond Good & Evil. I'm not sure if The Dark Phoenix Saga episodes are time travel ones... I think those are space episodes.

Guest DCAUFan1051
One Man's Worth is the two-part episode with Logan and Storm together and it leads directly into Beyond Good and Evil along with the two-parter Sanctuary which has Apocalypse at the end with Warbird.

ahh ok as I said I remember Beyond Good & Evil after that I don't think I can clearly remember anymore past it. I just knew that it showed the wolvie & storm being together ahh well. Here's hoping they release more. And here's hoping they fix the issue with the episodes delaying at the beginning.

When I first saw them in the store I got confused what it was. It says "Marvel Comic Book Collection" on the front so I thought it might be digital comics. It wasn't until I read the back that I found out it was the 90s cartoon. I kind of wish they were digital comics.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I still love these cartoons, but wow, the animation was atrocious in some places. I had forgotten.

[/quote/]

Can you point out some examples? While I think that the animation was great for the time I must admit the DVD's are flawed. You should not be kicked back to the main menu after 1 episode is watched and you hit "PlayAll"

Guest DCAUFan1051
I'll be happy to name off the several animation flaws later.

Right now, I'm watching "Beauty and the Beast", which has one of the greatest reveals ever when Wolverine deduces that Creed is Sabretooth's son.

I remember that episode it was awesome.

Started Season 2 of the show,

Episode 14-15: Til Death Do Us Part – 7.5

These first two episodes were pretty cool.

The opening sequence with Wolverine is awesome as he fights in the Danger Room while Cyclops and Jean are getting married.

I loved the whole evil Morph deal. It kind of flips the whole revenge story, as Morph has a legitimate gripe with Cyclops and the X-men team, yet he's still portrayed as a villain. It was an awesome story with Morph playing all the X-men against each other, but he himself is being played by Mr. Sinister.

Also another piece of the season 2 arc appears with the Friend of Humanity making their first appearances here. They are a great foil to the X-men, and a good representation of the basic theme of the X-men. Their attempts at trying to turn the US general public back against the X-men were great in this episode.

Although there was a lot of good stuff here, I thought Mr. Sinister was really out of place, his whole plan is unclear and his lackeys kind of suck. After reading Peter David's X-factor visionaries I understand that his lackeys and at times, Sinister himself were foils for the X-factor team and since that book was pretty much a comedy book, those characters didn't translate over well here. The conclusion also was inconclusive, and felt too wide open. I understand this is serialized storytelling but nothing is really solved at all here.

Episode 16: Whatever it takes – 5

This episode is dull. It's mainly about Storm and the Shadow King. Shadow King's character makes no sense here, and they reference Storm's past with the Shadow King and it also makes no sense. There's also a ton of references to Professor Xavier's battles with the Shadow King. But nothing really gets explanation. Storm is all about leadership, self-sacrifice, and being motherly and all three of those characteristics get shown here in spades, but overall the episode isn't all that interesting.

The subplot is much more interesting with Wolverine tracking down Morph, trying to convince him to come back, and it's a bit more conclusive. Morph isn't coming back. These are the best scenes of the episode and no, it's not because Morph turns into Deadpool at one point. It's mainly because it shows more of Wolverine's character, how he's haunted by his past, and how Morph manipulates Wolverine with his abilities.

But overall, it's a dull episode as it mostly focuses on the Storm story with her son.

One of the flaws I noticed was in the Morlocks episode. After Analee loses control of Jean, she runs off screen. Her running consists of her making a running motion and then suddenly disappearing. Embaressingly enough, it's repeated in the previously segment in the following episode.

I forgot how in a lot of the early episodes, you can almost start a "Storm gets affected by her claustrophobia" count. It seems like if Storm was in an episode, something was falling on her and making her go mad.

The next two episodes were some of the best episodes of the Season, and one possibly the best episode of the series. Go figure that they're both Wolvie-centric.

Episode 17: Red Dawn

This marks the return of Colossus and the first and only appearance of Omega Red, it's not quite as good as I remember it. But still an excellent episode overall. The episode is kind of dated as it has a lot to do with the Cold War, the fall of the Soviet Union, and Omega Red's desire to put the Union back together, to create an empire. It's really pretty cool with some showing of the differences between extreme patriotism of Omega Red, and the less-patriotic but more caring for his people, Colossus. Wolverine and Omega Red have some history and thus it adds to mythology of Wolverine a bit more. Even though there is some great team work, the rest of the X-men fall to the wayside a bit, letting Colossus, Wolverine, and Jubilee take center stage. Jubilee is pretty ecstatic in this episode, she kind of takes in everything with naive eyes, but when she gets to Colossus country she realizes the gravity of the situation. It's pretty interesting seeing her reactions here. Omega Red is a really cool one-off villain, he's got a really interesting look, a really good voice, and some pretty cool powers. Overall a really good episode that while is still divergent from the main themes, provides some other interesting themes as well. 9

Episode 18: Repo Man

Another Wolvie-centric episode, this time looking more into the history of Wolverine. This is probably one of the best episodes of the series. It's classic Wolverine. This time his history with Alpha Flight and the Weapon X program come back to haunt him. There's a ton of flashbacks here showing him how he got his adamantium claws, how he lived as an animal, how he was domesticated, and then welcomed into a family. It builds a lot of suspense because Wolvie has history with these people, and there's a lot of built-in emotion in that. Ultimately you find out, Wolverine left because he didn't want to be a weapon anymore, he didn't want to be an experiment anymore, and Department H had been using him for that purpose, not because they cared about him. Vindicator and the General play the villains, the General having evil intentions in the whole situation, Vindicator feeling more slighted and betrayed. It's interesting because that's exactly how Wolverine feels, that's exactly how Alpha Flight feels, it's just a room full of feelings of betrayl. Anyways great episode that deals with the thin line between government weapon and team community.

Also there are a couple of glimpses to the ongoing journey of Professor X and Magneto through the Savage Land. Some interesting things pop up in this episode, with them finding the island is inhabit by Mutates, and Mutates were created by Magneto and it builds a bit more intrigue as we now know Magneto may know more than he has let on, builds a little bit more distrust between Xavier and Magneto.

Five episodes today:

Episode 20: X-ternally Yours – 5.5

This is a Gambit centered episode, and honestly, I'm under the impression the less I know about him the better. It's not that Gambit is a crappy character, but his character thrives off his mysteriousness, his coolness, and this kind of pulls the shade back showing us how dull and uninteresting his past really is. This time around the theme is gang warfare, and the absolute pointlessness of gang violence. Overall, while I like Gambit as a supporting character, I didn't care for this highlighted appearance.

Episode 21-22: Time Fugitives Parts 1 and 2 – 7

The return of Bishop and Cable may cause some automatic groans with others, but to me this was a somewhat confusing but sufficient episode. It pits the two time-travelers against each other in a race to save two futures. It was a great idea of seeing the episode once with just Bishop there messing with the past, and then seeing it again with Cable but it didn't work out quite well in execution. While the second episode increased the tension a ton, it was also a bit harder to watch just because you're re watching scenes, with little changes, that you only just watched recently. Still, I think this is the end of the time-travelling episodes.

Episode 23: Rogues Tale – 7

While Gambit's past is better left uncovered, they really beefed up Rogues angsty past and it worked. It shows the constant conflict of Rogue and why Rogue has been so defensive all these years. This is also one of the first episodes to include people outside of the X-universe, with the inclusion of Ms. Marvel. The episode plays off of the inner conflict of Rogue and while sometimes the episode has a tendency to be over-melodramatic, it still interesting to see Rogue's struggle within herself, and in terms of her parental figures. We also get another glimpse of Mr. Sinister and his large machinations all season long.

Episode 24: Beauty and The Best – 9.5

The final episode highlighting a single X-team member in a season full of them, this time around it's Beast who gets the spotlight. This is a really good episode, it shows how the most intelligent X-man deals with his life, deals with love, and how it's all foiled by bigotry and exclusion. I really like Beast here, it shows the strength of his character, and at times the beast inside of him when his girl is threatened. The Friends of Humanity arc comes to a close here with the reveal that Creed is actually the son of a mutant, driving him mad with terror and anger, and as a result driving out any charismatic power he once had. At times the music is too over the top trying to make the scene way too melodramatic, and the relationship between Beast and the blind girl isn't executed to it's fulled, but it's still an excellent episode overall if not one of the best in terms of pacing, story, characters, thematic relevance, and action.

Episode 25: MojoVision – 2

You know how I thought whatever it takes might be the worst episode of the series, I was wrong this takes up that mantlepiece. I hate this episode, I hate MOJO, and it just sucked all around. It's boring, and it spends wayy too much time with Mojo, there's literally no depth here. Outside of the inspired pairing of Wolverine and Jean, showing how much Wolverine still cares for her, the quick catch-up with Xavier and Magneto's treks through the Savage Land, and the Punisher cameo, it sucks. It's just boring, unexciting, the fight sequences suck, it takes way too long to get going, Mojo has so much dialogue that doesn't really mean anything. If you come across this episode just fast forward through most of it to catch up on Xavier and Magneto's journey, or outright skip it and you won't miss too much.

Next up the two part finale.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Anyone else having problems with their discs? Sometimes mine will randomly start stuttering.

I dunno about stuttering DVD's... but I did mention earlier that for some strange reason after an episode ends it takes the next one a few minutes to begin. Sometimes I have to hit next chapter then go back to even get the previously on x-men thing. Plus I do remember saying that on a few play all sessions it kicked me back to the main menu on all four discs from both sets which is stupid. I dunno what to do about it I don't think it's just my sets obviously Jack's having a few issues with them. I guess not everything Disney touches is Gold :D

Guest DCAUFan1051
Does anyone know what happened to the voice of Magneto? One guy is playing it for all the eps, then randomly when the Apocalypse 4 parter starts the voice sounds different and then the very next ep with Magneto in it is the alien invasion and its back the normal dude.

I think those eps are after the Phoenix Saga, and your right near the fourth season of the show I thought it changed too... but it's the same throughout the DVD's.

Episode 26-27: Reunion Parts 1 and 2 –

Finished season 2, and it didn't end off on the bang that I hoped for. After all this build for the Savage Land, the 2 part finale was kind of flat to be honest. It was missing a sense of spark, and actually the stakes weren't nearly as high as they were in Season 1's finale. The first part plays out like an ultra-long set-up for the better episode 2. Episode 2 is all over the place, with the X-men landing in a trap, Wolvie splitting up, meeting Kazar, and returning on a rescue mission. It's all kind of meh. These episodes do some things right, it's does supply a satisfying end to many of the season long arcs, the Gambit and Rogue romance finally comes to a head, Morph's struggles reach a conclusion, and Magneto and Xavier have a great send-off from their season long team. While the good stuff is there, it just didn't come together as well as it should havein this two part finale. 7/10

Episode 28-29: Out of the Past Parts 1 and 2

Season 3 begins with a hell of a two parter with some much updated animation. The animation looks beautiful in this two parter and the best the series has looked, replacing the more rough choppy animation of season 1 and 2. I don't know if this stays, but it certainly looks good.

The first episode in this two parter, focuses mostly on Wolverine and Deathstrike rivalry, it exposes just a little bit more about Wolverine's past that we got a ton of glimpses of in Season 2 one-shots. It's a good episode, it drags a bit, as some of the stuff, like the Weapon X experiment, is repeated from before, but it still presents an interesting villain and rivalry. The second episode is a very strange change of tone, as it focuses on this green alien monster sucking the life out of people. The two episodes don't flow together as well as they should, with the Deathstrike/Wolverine interaction really linking up the two episodes. Also there's a lot of time spent setting up, it can be a drag especially if you're like me and you don't care for the Morlocks too much. There's a lot of good stuff here too, with some little quiet scenes of some of the X-men outside of their super-hero duties, I actually liked those the best. The action between the Marauders and the Wolverine led team is quite fun and overall this episode adds some depth to Wolverine as someone who really wants to do penance, as he takes care of friend, Jubilee, enemy, Deathstrike, and strangers protecting them all from danger. 8/10

Next up is the 90's animated take on the Phoenix Saga.

Episode 30-34: The Phoenix Saga (5-parter)...

Since I'm not usually a fan of the x-men in space stories, I didn't like this all that much. Certainly there's a lot of good, but it's also got some huge pacing and balance problems. They throw in way too many characters in such a short time with none of them getting any real depth. The first episode sees the title characters trying to get into space to prevent something that they're completely unsure of, during this episode there's some real nice call-backs to the first episodes of the series and the attack on the mutant registration agency, but overall the episode is kind of dull and uninteresting as you're not sure what the purpose of any of it is. Eric the Red who is the villain of the piece for episodes 1 and 3 is just a terrible villain. Banshee makes an extended guest appearance, but doesn't come off any more than a boring older mutant married to Moira. Episode 2 is the highlight of the saga, as it plays up Jean's sacrifice, there's consequences to their actions, evil Xavier, and the whole team is imploding emotionally. It's easily the best episode of the saga, and it has very little to do with Phoenix. Episode 3 is a mess of a diversion, and Xavier's actions are the best part of this, as he really thinks he's going crazy at points. Gladiator's introduction also screams epic. Juggs is hilarious and makes a good guest here. Episode 4 and 5 for all it's craziness and adding in tons and tons of characters and for all its faults, it gets the epic space saga mood right. It feels like an epic space saga with universe wide consequences. Tons of guest appearances help add weight to the situation. Again the villain is rather unintersting and stereotypical and Phoenix honestly doesn't strike me as any more interesting than Jean was. But it's got some fun stuff in it but it's all very flawed.

7/10