Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Incognito-I LOVED this book. My favorite Marvel thing of the year by far. Especially since it is so close to something I'm working on right now and yet it doesn't compromise it to the point where it looks like a rip off. God, I loved it! 10

Total

Comic books: 500!

Trade paperbacks: 34

Graphic novels: 4

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Astonishing X-Men, volume one: Gifted

Very solid, powerful storytelling that perfectly sets up Joss Whedon's run on the book. All around, he knows and loves these characters, but I especially love how he handles Kitty and Peter.

Planetary, volume one: All Over the World

The best modern science fiction comic book? Yes.

Having read two trades illustrated by John Cassaday in one day, it's amazing to see how much his work grew between 1999 and 2004. Don't get me wrong, his artwork in Planetary is excellent, better than most of the books on the market today -- 10 years later. But his stuff in Astonishing X-Men #1, drawn only five years later, is that much better. In my opinion, I'd place him in the top five comic book artists working today.

Total

Comic books: 97

Trade paperbacks: 86

Graphic novels: 1

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 370

Blackest Night: JSA #1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow

Captain America Reborn: Who Will Wield the Shield?

Hellboy: The Bride of Hell

What If? Astonishing X-Men

Total

Comic books: 102

Trade paperbacks: 86

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 370

Blackest Night: JSA #1

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow

Captain America Reborn: Who Will Wield the Shield?

Hellboy: The Bride of Hell

What If? Astonishing X-Men

Justice League International vol 3-Here we go! Finally, it's growing to what it is widely known as: the funniest and best damn superteam book ever. I'm not sure what's funnier, Batman punching Guy, or that it took like 18 issues for Guy's head to get back to the attitude-laden asshole-ish perv he is. Funnily enough, it was a knock on the head from Lobo that did it. This is the best Lobo; he's still funny and a send-up of the bounty hunting vigilante character but isn't so ultra violent that he craps dead people. If he isn't paid to care, he doesn't even notice you exist, that's what he should be. And Darkseid reading Mein Kampf might have juts taken the place of my favorite page of all-time. But the art is really back and forth. Maguire is a master but there's a few issues by Templeton (who does all right) and Steve Leialoa (who's completely wrong for this book). 8/10

Jonah hex: Face Full of Violence-excellent gritty western with some uneven art but Luke Ross certainly proves why he's awesome. 8/10

Total

Comic books: 505

Trade paperbacks: 6

Gargoyle #1-4-Thought I'd dredge this out for a Dying in the Gutters but yikes this does not hold up. It's plodding. It needed to be three issues and even then it probably would have felt exhaustingly wordy. Badger's art is nice but not as nice as Wrightson's covers. 5/10

Total

Comic books: 509

Trade paperbacks: 36

Astonishing X-Men, volume two: Dangerous

I haven't read this volume in four years, since Jen and I covered it during episode three of Earth-2.net: The Show. And looking back, it's better than I recall it being. Danger is still a silly foe and Xavier suppressing a species seems out of character, but knowing the overall story Joss was telling, so much is being set up here. In the grand scheme of thing, it's great. Having Kitty save the day twice is major foreshadowing, Agent Brand says a few choice words that point towards the weapon Breakworld plans to use on Earth, once more the Kitty / Peter relationship stands out, and Colossus' need to be free and break stuff is powerful.

I'd like to read the final two volumes in this run before the day is through, but I doubt it will happen. As it stand, this is my final count for 2009:

Comic books: 102

Trade paperbacks: 87

That's less than I thought it would be, but when you think about each trade as six issue, it comes to 624-ish comics. Which means I read 12 comics each week.

I didn't get a chance to do this in the other thread before it was locked. But man, I read a lot of stuff last year, a lot of high quality stuff too. Planetary 1-26 (mostly in trade), Miller's Bednis' and Brubaker's Daredevil, Ellis' Thunderbolts, JOKER, and Walking Dead. Mind you not all of it was the for the first time. But my absolute favorite has to be Y: The Last Man. But I found out that Daredevil is probably my favorite of the mainstream characters.

What do I see in 2010, well probably a little less comic reading, we'll see. I've missed reading novels, to be honest, but comics are so much fun especially when I need something quick in between reading research articles all day for school, 1 issue here and there works very well. I'm hoping to read 100 Bullets in 2010 and generally more Vertigo overall, I really enjoyed the two series I read from that line (Preacher and Y: the Last Man). I'm also looking at reading more Brubaker stuff (I've got Criminal, Sleeper, Incognito, waiting for me, and am interested in a read of Iron Fist Omnibus, along with a re-read of his Captain America as I only got up to the death and never read past it, also I think I didn't really take my time with that Omnibus) along with Bendis' Alias' series waiting for me. As for rereads, I'm probably going to give Millar's Ultimates a re-read this year. We'll see. But first things first is finishing up David's X-factor.

Total 2009 Tally.

Total:

Comic books: 32

Trade paperbacks: 115

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1, 2, and 3; The Authority by Ellis/Hitch/Millar/Quietly Volumes 1 (Relentless) and 2 (Under New Management) and 3 (Transfer of Power); Batman: Year One; Batman: The Long Halloween; Planetary vol 1 (All Over the World and Other Stories), vol. 2 (The Fourth Man), and vol. 3 (Leaving the 20th Century), Planetary Crossing Worlds (The Crossover specials); Planetary 19-26; Batman: The Man Who Laughs; Frank Miller's Daredevil: The Man Without Fear; RONIN; JOKER; Deadpool #1; Punisher Max vol. 1-4; Penance: Relentless; Thunderbolts by Warren Ellis vol 1-2; Thunderbolts: Secret Invasion, Astonishing X-men Hardcovers volume 1 and 2, Daredevil: Born Again, Y: The Last Man vol. 1-10, The incredible Hulk: Tempest Fugit, Marvels, Daredevil: Redemption, Daredevil: Yellow, Hard-boiled, Hulk: Dogs of War, Spider-man: India, R.I.P.D., Daredevil: Love Labors Lost, District X vol. 1, Walking Dead vol. 1-8, Deadpool vol. 1: Secret Invasion, Superman: Red Son, Batman and Son, Justice League International vol. 1, Bullseye's Greatest Hits, Marvel 1985, X-men Children of the Atom, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Batman: Hush vol 1-2, Batman: Nine Lives, Walking Dead vol. 9, 52 vol. 1-4, Batman: Gothic, X-men: God Loves Man Kills, Daredevil by Bendis vol 4-7 and vol 9-13, X-men: Mutant Genesis, Transmetropolitan vol. 1 (Back on the Street), Starman vol. 1-3, JLA vol. 1, Hunter Killer vol. 1, Starman vol. 4: Times Past, Daredevil by Brubaker Devil Inside and Out vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker Hell To Pay vol. 1-2, Daredevil by Brubaker: Cruel and Unusual and Lady Bullseye, Hulk by Bruce Jones HC vol. 1 and 2, District X vol. 2, X-factor Visionaries by Peter David vol. 1-4, Ultimate Iron Man vol. 1, Ultimate Human, Daredevil by Brubaker: Return of the King, Noir: A collection of crime comics, Last Hero Standing #1-5, Ultimate Nightmare #1-4, She-Hulk #1-12, Ultimate Comics Avengers #1-2, Sam and Twitch: Brian Michael Bendis Collection vol. 1, Thunderbolts: Bringing Down the House, Deapool/Thunderbolts: Dark Reign, Dark Avengers: Assemble, Ultimate Iron Man vol. II, Freakangels vol. 1-2, Madrox, X-factor vol. 1-3