Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

Denny O'Neill's late 80's The Question series. The more O'Neill I read, the more I appreciate his well-honed, atmospheric stories and ranged dialogue styles that give even the smaller characters further personality. There're also plenty of apperances from Richard Dragon, Green Arrow and Lady Shiva (plus some Dark Knight), linking the series in style and theme to Mike Grell's post-Crisis Green Arrow run. On top of that, there's an issue of this series where Vic Sage reads a copy of Watchmen and starts dreaming that he is Rorschach, which I thought was weirdly fantastic

Thumbs fully up.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DMZ Volume 2: Body of a Journalist - The first really involved story arc of the series, I loved it to pieces. By the end of the trade, Matty has been in NYC for over a year and he's grown tremendously as an character. Things never went in a direction I could've predicted, but in retrospect everything made perfect sense. My only qualms were with Zee's origin issue and the handbook that closed the issue, neither had the appeal or matched the intensity of the primary story... they just felt kind of tacked on.

9/10

Comics: 12, TPB: 3

Denny O'Neill's late 80's The Question series. The more O'Neill I read, the more I appreciate his well-honed, atmospheric stories and ranged dialogue styles that give even the smaller characters further personality. There're also plenty of apperances from Richard Dragon, Green Arrow and Lady Shiva (plus some Dark Knight), linking the series in style and theme to Mike Grell's post-Crisis Green Arrow run. On top of that, there's an issue of this series where Vic Sage reads a copy of Watchmen and starts dreaming that he is Rorschach, which I thought was weirdly fantastic

Thumbs fully up.

I've been searching high and low for these trades.

Final Crisis #6 (W: Grant Morrison, A: J.G. Jones, Doug Mahnke, Carlos Pacheco, and Marco Rudy) - Damn. Just...damn.

Total

Comic Books: 15

TPBs: 1

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 1

Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Vimanarama TPB

Gravel #7 - While not the most consistent series, this issue definitely picked things back up, and I'm psyched for the next arc.

Total

Comic Books: 18

TPBs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-5, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Gravel #7

EDIT: HA. And then Mike gives it to me for IIWY.

Final Crisis #6

It will be hard not to copy Koete but...wow.

The third comic book I read in 2009 gave me goosebumps. Morrison nails Superman; and Batman? Whoa. Tawny the Tiger has been nothing but a fucking waste of paper for me in the past but I loved him here and even the rest of the Fawcett kids.

The art does NOT look like four people did it. You can see the Mahnke when it's there though. Loved it overall. A couple of wonky panels.

I have no idea what's coming next and I love it.

Out of 10: 10

Total

Comic books: 3

Trade paperbacks: 0

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6

Green Lantern Corps #32

One of my favorite DC books right now is taking on the Star Sapphire end of the color spectrum and they are a little odd to say the least. Add the nastiest villain I've seen in a while in the Yellow Lantern Kryb, some great, subdued writing and amazing artwork from Patrick Gleason and you have a winner. This book deserves more readers.

Tomasi does what I totally appreciate nowadays: he's writing a straight ahead hero book without his tongue in his cheek and without doing the whole "look at me I'm a Joss Whedon wannabe I'm so clever" bullshit that is too prevalent now. This kicks butt.

Out of 10: 8

Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot

I bought this book because I was sick of seeing how many Marvel books already had the 3.99 cover price and this was a oneshot that had a 2.99 cover price. It was rad.

Sterling Gates is a guy whose career began in a misguided Sinestro Corps War tie-in oneshot but here he nails my favorite villain fromthe Morrison run of JLA and sets him up as a major badass for the coming year. Glad I picked this up.

The artist Federico Dallocchio is amazing. Kind of like CAFU with a harder edge and a more sinister turn.

Both of the above books lettered by Dread media listener extraordinaire Steve Wands!

Out of 10: 8

Total

Comic books: 5

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot

Question: Poisoned Ground: Written: Dennis O'Neil Art: Denys Cowan and Rick Magyar

Tremendously well written, but good lord, the art is eighties. Everyone has a mullet. Everyone. Vic has a blonde, freakin', mullet. It's an anthology piece, no one huge storyline, highlighted by the 'Mikado' issue, putting Question up against a righteous serial killer. Very character driven, which I love. O'Niel is on top of his game, but Cowan and Magyar leave me cold.

JLA: Tower of Babel: Written: Mark Waid Art: Howard Porter

The art is great, and shockingly: I *adored* Aquaman here. Kyle Rayner is a terrific highlight, too. But, Waid writes Batman as almost *too* gruff for my liking. It's great to see that Bruce has all these very effective methods to... counter people he calls his friends, but... I can't see him just pretending nothing happened, like here. It's too much, Batman is, above all, a hero. And he acts in a way that just leaves now sympathy with him, at all, and I *want* to sympathize with him. I understand why he did what he did, but I can't understand why Kyle, Wally and J'onn would side with him, especially when he acts like such a massive prick.

There's three other stories collected here, one with Lantern, Atom, Flash, Wonder Woman and Supes trying to negotiate with sentient bacteria in some kid's brain. One with a Gotham murder that all the evidence points to Superman, and an Aquaman/Wonderwoman story. The first story is really the only one worth reading.

TPBs: 2 (Question: Poisoned Ground, JLA: Tower of Babel)

I can't understand why Kyle, Wally and J'onn would side with him, especially when he acts like such a massive prick.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think J'onn sides with Batman because he himself made plans against / spied on his friends in JLA: Year One. So who is he to judge Batman for doing the same thing?

I can't understand why Kyle, Wally and J'onn would side with him, especially when he acts like such a massive prick.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think J'onn sides with Batman because he himself made plans against / spied on his friends in JLA: Year One. So who is he to judge Batman for doing the same thing?

Well, yeah, I guess, Wally and Kyle made less sense to me. I kinda lumped J'onn in there with them.

EDIT: And at least J'onn seemed remorseful. :P

Invincible 58- Sort of a lull period for the book but it looks like things are really going to start kicking off soon. Not for the newbies since I counted ten separate

Total ongoing plot threads running through the book, but there is a lot to like for the devoted fan.

Final Crisis 6 of 7- A good book that needed two issues rather than just the one. 7 issues isn't enough for this to unfold as it should.

Manhunter 38- The book was on a decline and I might not have got this if it wasn't the final issue. I was pretty disappointed in the end, Gaydos was never the right guy to draw this sort of very hero orientated book, but his work was fantastic compared to Dennis Calero's 7 pages in the back of this issue. This might be the sharpest decline that any book has suffered whilst I've been reading it. Only Captain Marvel's last run under Peter David ended worse than this, where they stripped the character of all hope and dignity. It a huge shame, this book was great for a long long time.

Green Lantern Corps- More wierdness from Sinestro Corps villain Kryb. This is seriously one of the most messed up villains that I've seen in a comic. An OK story finale but I'm much more excited to see what happens with Mongul next issue.

Deadpool- OK, I won't drop this book yet. Way took freakin' Tiger Shark and made him great, and the sudden return of a certain agent of a certain organization is enough to keep me hooked. Good art, mucho funny, what's not to like?

Comic Books: 17

Bomb Queen V #5 - IIWY?

Mirror's Edge #3 - IIWY?

Total

Comic Books: 20

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-5, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Gravel #7, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3

This week

final crisis 6 of 7. : The final crisis thread and Koete have said this so much better than I ever could. Wow.

Nightwing: faces of evil: Ra's Al Ghul. I thought Faces Of Evil was from the villians perspective? This issue was alright, but I was hoping for more than just a "Lets have a chat about the detetcive" issue. The perspective was Nightwings and not Ra's which was disappointing.

Next months issue is the last issue of Nightwing and I really hoping for something big and not just another "Hey, bruce is dead, I wonder what time lunch is..." issue.

5 Books added to the list at the bottom for IIWY? I'm heading to the mainland this week so I hope to pick up some back issues at a great 1/2 price store in Vancouver while I'm there.

Total

Comic books: 10

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself

Animal Man Volume 1 TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Chas Truog and Tom Grummet)

Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Chas Truog and Tom Grummet)

Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Chas Truog and Paris Cullins)

Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Various)

Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Various)

Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Various)

Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Various)

My thoughts:

EGConsidermymindblown.jpg

Total

TPBs: 8

Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Vimanarama TPB

Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Chas Truog and Tom Grummet)

Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB (W: Grant Morrison, A: Chas Truog and Paris Cullins)

My thoughts:

Total

Animal Man Volume 1 TPB, Animal Man Volume 2: Origin of the Species TPB, Animal Man Volume 3: Deus Ex Machina TPB, Astounding Wolf-Man #10, Astounding Wolf-Man #11, Atomic Robo Dogs of War #5 of 5, Batman #684, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis #6, The Goon #31, Green Lantern #36, Guardians of The Galaxy #8, Incognito #1, Invincible #57, Justice Society of America #22, Kick-Ass #5, Nova #20, Secret Invasion: War of Kings, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 1 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 2 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 3 TPB, Seven Soldiers of Victory Volume 4 TPB, Superman and Batman: World's Funnest, Vimanarama TPB

Does that mean they were good or that they were terrible?

:smilewinkgrin:

My thoughts:

Total

Does that mean they were good or that they were terrible?

:smilewinkgrin:

Animal Man was mind blowingly groundbreaking and Seven Soldiers was mind blowingly awesome. :yes: