Every comic you've read in 2009

Missy

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mighty Avengers #21 - Really dislike the new direction. Dan Slott is trying to be Bendis Jr. and it doesn't suit him, and I didn't think much of Khoi Pham's artwork either. I found that for all its huff and puff, the storyline spent the better part of this issue going nowhere, and when it finally got off its ass and did something, I wished it would go back to doing nothing. I have no interest in seeing any more of what was revealed on the last page of this issue, and the villainous mastermind is spectacularly boring. Will be removing this from my pull folder post-haste.

2/10

Punisher: Frank Castle #66 - I thought the last storyline / writer started off hot and quickly cooled as things played out. The new writer / storyline hasn't caught my interest at all. Well, scratch that - I have some mild curiosity about the cliffhanger at the end of the issue, but it's so hard to convince readers that the lead character of three separate ongoing titles is in real trouble, a lot of the edge is lost before the arc even gets off the ground. Also, why does every single story involving Frank have to start with the same setup? We get that he kills a lot of mobsters. It's kind of redundant by this point. I'm thinking about removing this series from my pull folder, too..

3/10

100 Bullets #99 - Can't believe this series is almost over. I'm still hopelessly lost as to where the story's going, but the artwork is as strong as ever and people are dying left and right so I can't want for consequence. I really need to go back and re-read the entire series so I'm somewhat aware of what's going on in time for the finale.

7/10

Also, three books for IIWY? this week: Action Comics #873, Faces of Evil: Prometheus and Manhunter #38

Comics: 21, TPB: 3

Read Robin 182 and birds of prey.

Robin was the end of the search for a hero storyline and was under the faces of evil banner, and yet, Robin was doing the narration.

Anyway, it was alright, but nothing special, if Robin wasn't ending next month, I would drop this.

Birds of prey: I know I'm really late to the table with BOP but when i read the issues with the joker and loved them.

This issue was genuine faces of evil to me as it was from calculators perspective and was a fun set up issue to the last one.

I'll be sad when this ends, and may go back and look at the collecteds later in the year.

Dark Delicacies #1 from IDW-Dread Media 74

Total

Comic books: 11

Trade paperbacks: 0

Graphic novels: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1

Dark Avengers 1- Pretty cool intro to the series, I think I'll be sticking with it as long as it doesn't go into excessive crossovers.

Robin 182- I heard that this version of Anarky was supposed to be Robin's Joker. What a joke. Robin's becoming tougher and more capable, he's really getting a good run into the battle for the cape. Not a great issue, but it did what I came to do.

Thunderbolts 128- Interesting premise going in, plus the mystery new team looks quite cool. I wish they'ed kept Ant-man in his original gear though, the new one is crap compared. Its not hard to see why they chose not to advertise this series as the one featuring Barack Obama. He's a major player but the tone of the book is all wrong for a new audience.

Comic Books: 20

TPBs: 0

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 1

Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot

This one started off a little clunky but it turned into a great follow-up to last Will and Testament and reall intrigues me as to Slade's new direction. If he doesn't square off against Batman soon I'll be surprised. Oh yeah, Geo-Force is a dead man.

The ending of this really saved it and had some great Rose/Slade moments. One of the gorier non-Avatar comics I have ever read. I was surprised there was no advisory on this one.

8/10

Green Lantern #37

Mother. Fucking. Wow.

10/10

Total

Comic books: 13

Trade paperbacks: 0

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37

All Star Superman: Volume 1

My dad lent me the copy i got him for christmas, it was an alright comic, I never read superman as i'm not a fan of the character, but this comic was really good and really entertaining.

I would recommend flipping through it if you don't like superman like me.

Got a few more things to read, so I will update my 2009 total later.

Batman Confidential #25, Battlestar Galactica: Cylon War #1, and Simon Dark #16: Thoughts in IIWY?

Justice: Volume 3 -- The art is Alex Ross. the designs on the JLA's armors are slick and there's a couple of great twists

Captain Marvel and Superman switching places, and Marvel punching Parasite's face in when P tried to use Kryptonite on him

and

Hal Jordan using blue kryptonite to filter the light of a yellow Qwardian ring to screw with Sinestro.

Jordan, Elongated Man, and Wonder Woman all get some great, shining moments. The book isn't deep, but it's hella fun and very pretty.

TPBs: 3 (Question: Poisoned Ground, JLA: Tower of Babel, Justice: Volume 3)

Comics: 3 (Batman Confidential #25, Battlestar Galactica: Cylon War #1, Simon Dark #16)

Captain Britain and MI 13 #9 - IIWY?

Titans #9 - IIWY?

X-Men/Spider-man #3 - IIWY?

Total

Comic Books: 23

TPBs: 0

HCs: 0

Graphic Novels: 0

Greatest Hits #4, Gravel #6, Crossed #2, Epilogue #3, City of Dust #3, Moon Knight #25, Incognito #1, Street Fighter II Turbo #3, Grimm Fairy Tales Annual 08, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic #36, Doctor Who Classics #1, Doctor Who: The Forgotten #3-5, Scalped #24, The Goon #31, Ultimate Hulk Annual #1, Gravel #7, Bomb Queen V #5, Mirror's Edge #3, Captain Britain and MI 13 #9, Titans #9, X-Men/Spider-man #3

Animal Man: volume 1.

The first few issues were great, it grew stagnant in the middle, but the last three issues were great and the mirror master was awesome.

I also loved the red helmet.

The thanagarian issue was easily the weakest.

Yeah, that was an attempt to make a crossover tie-in but to keep it crazy. I'll admit it was pretty bad but it was a valiant effort to make something interesting at a piece of shit. What was that, Millennium?

The next two volumes keep getting better.

Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1

This collection includes the first year (I think) of stories from the Myspace Dark Horse Presents webcomic. It has its ups and downs like any anthology but I really quite enjoyed this one. Only about a third of it is great for me and another third is trash but that's what you get right? This has original stories by Whedon and Ba (I still think Whedon's as over-rated as they come), Mignola and Davis (in maybe my favorite Christmas story in comic form ever), Rick Geary, Tony Millionaire and Peter Bagge in separate spurts of funny as well as a bunch of unknowns.

I have a huge history with DHP and I was glad to see it resurrected almost ten years after its cancellation.

It also includes what HAS to be Cary Nords best piece of art to date and maybe the funnest thing Steve Niles has ever written (separate stories again). A great Fear Agent story and 30 pages of The Goon (none of which done by Powell and rather lame for one big massive veiny dick joke).

Definitely worth grabbing for the ingenuity alone.

8/10

Total

Comic books: 13

Trade paperbacks: 1

Green Lantern #36, Final Crisis Secret Files, Final Crisis#6, Green Lantern Corps #32, Faces of Evil: Prometheus Oneshot, Black Lightning: Year One #1, Haunted Tank #2, No Hero #3, Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising #1, Spider-Man Fear Itself, Dark Delicacies #1, Faces of Evil: Deathstroke Oneshot, Green Lantern #37, Myspace Dark Horse Presents Vol. 1

Batman- Death of Innocents by Denny O'Neil and Joe Staton.

Batman verses the danger of landmines. The story itself is exactly what I was expecting; a by-the-numbers moralistic tale with a couple o' shock moments designed to alert the reader to the message. It's all for a great cause, but not a great read, but I loved the beautiful retro-esque artwork.

I reread some of Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volume 1 and read Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 2. I like Volume 2 a little bit more. I can totally see how Miller influenced Bendis' run because this series is not just superhero book, but it's a crime noir book with lots of emphasis and focus on the supporting characters. I've never read anything before these two TPBs but it seems that Miller really fleshed out the world of Daredevil exposing pieces of his past, and broadening the scope to the city's inhabitants and the hero's antagonists. I've really enjoyed his run thus far and the third volume should arrive by the beginning of February. In terms of the second volume, the issue made up of Bullseye's narrative was absolutely fabulous and the serialized storytelling really pulls up to the forefront by the Gangwar in Volume 1. Also there are a few issues guest-starring the Punisher, but it's Castle fits so seamlessly in this world that it works way too well. Can't wait to read Volume 3.

Total

Comic books: 0

Trade paperbacks: 2

Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Volumes 1 and 2

You bought Wanted? Have I taught you nothing?

The implication being that there is something worth learning. :rolleyes:

Wanted is a very uneven book, its an interesting satirical take on comic book mythology but at the same time its full of crass amoral behavior that pushes the limits because they are there, not because its the best way to tell the story.

You bought Wanted? Have I taught you nothing?

Sir, it was 50% off!

And I was getting the film and for some reason I wanted to get the book, I really wished I didn't now.

It just felt like a big "Hey, I'm going to throw shit at the wall. What? I missed the wall, ok how about stuff at the reader!"

The film was a hell of a lot better, theirs some irony if the film is a lot better than the comic is adapted from.