Your Doctor Who Collection

Mylandro

I have Quite a few dvds, sold a few though in anticipation of the revisitations stories coming out.

William Hartnell

• Lost in Time
  • The Beginning Collection
  • The Keys of Marinus
  • The Aztecs
  • The Dalek Invasion of Earth
  • The Rescue/The Romans
  • The Web Planet
  • The Time Meddler
  • The War Machines

Patrick Troughton

• The Tomb of the Cybermen
  • The Mind Robber
  • The Invasion
  • The Seeds of Death
  • The War Games

Jon Pertwee

• Spearhead from Space
  • The Silurians
  • Inferno
  • The Claws of Axos
  • The Sea Devils
  • The Three Doctors
  • Carnival of Monsters
  • Frontier in Space
  • Planet of the Daleks
  • The Green Death
  • The Time Warrior

Tom Baker

• Robot
  • The Ark in Space
  • The Sontaran Experiment
  • Genesis of the Daleks
  • Planet of Evil
  • Pryamids of Mars
  • The Brain of Moribus
  • The Hand of Fear
  • The Deadly Assassian
  • The Robots of Death
  • The Horror of Fang Rock
  • Image of the Fendahl
  • The Invasion of Time
  • The Pirate Planet
  • The Androids of Tara
  • The Power of Kroll
  • Destiny of the Daleks
  • City of Death
  • The Leisure Hive
  • Full Circle
  • State of Decay
  • Warrior's Gate
  • The Keeper of Traken
  • Logopolis

Peter Davison

• Castrovalva
  • The Visitation
  • Black Orchad
  • Earthshock
  • Time-Flight
  • Arc of Infinity
  • The Five Doctors
  • Warrior's of the Deep
  • Resurrection of the Daleks

Colin Baker

• The Twin Dilemma
  • Vengence on Varos
  • The Mark of the Rani
  • The Two Doctors
  • Timelash
  • Revelation of the Daleks
  • The Mysterious Planet
  • Mindwarp
  • Terror of the Vervoids
  • The Ultimate Foe

Sylvester McCoy

• Rememberance of the Daleks
  • GhostLight
  • The Curse of Fenric
  • Survival

New Series: Seasons 1-4 + Infinite Quest

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My collection has recently been updated and I'm the proud owner of the Dalek War Box Set, Keys of Marinus & the Black Guardian Trilogy. Now if only my fairy godmother would grant me The War Games...

Check out the two "stripped for action" documentaries on the Dalek War set, there's one concerning the Third Doctor comics from the time and one about Terry Nation's own Dalek comics and both are really fascinating viewing.

Check out the two "stripped for action" documentaries on the Dalek War set, there's one concerning the Third Doctor comics from the time and one about Terry Nation's own Dalek comics and both are really fascinating viewing.

I love the DW DVDs for the extras & these particular Stripped for Actions are AWESOME, however I'm not sure I really get the Matrix type extras on both disks. Oh well, can't win them all I s'pose.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

VHS

The William Hartnell Years

The Patrick Troughton Years

The Jon Pertwee Years

The Tom Baker Years

The Ark in Space

Pyramids of Mars

DVD

Lost in Time

William Hartnell:

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks

The Edge of Destruction

The Keys of Marinus

The Aztecs

The Dalek Invasion of Earth

The Rescue

The Romans

The Web Planet

The Space Museum

The Chase

The Time Meddler

The War Machines

Patrick Troughton:

The Tomb of the Cybermen

The Mind Robber

The Invasion

The Seeds of Death

The War Games

Jon Pertwee:

Spearhead from Space

The Silurians

Inferno

The Claws of Axos

The Curse of Peladon

The Sea Devils

The Time Monster

The Three Doctors

Carnival of Monsters

Frontier in Space

Planet of the Daleks

The Green Death

The Time Warrior

The Monster of Peladon

Tom Baker:

Robot

The Ark in Space

The Sontaran Experiment

Genesis of the Daleks

Planet of Evil

Pyramids of Mars

The Brain of Morbius

The Masque of Mandragora

The Hand of Fear

The Deadly Assassin

The Robots of Death

The Talons of Weng-Chiang

Horror of Fang Rock

The Invisible Enemy

Image of the Fendahl

Underworld

The Invasion of Time

The Key to Time

Destiny of the Daleks

City of Death

The Creature from the Pit (new today)

The Horns of Nimon

The Leisure Hive

The E-Space Trilogy

The Keeper of Traken

Logopolis

Peter Davison:

Castrovalva

Four to Doomsday

The Visitation

Black Orchid

Earthshock

The Five Doctors

Warriors of the Deep

Resurrection of the Daleks

The Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker:

The Two Doctors

Revelation of the Daleks

The Trial of a Time Lord

Sylvester McCoy:

Remembrance of the Daleks

The Curse of Fenric

Survival

Paul McGann:

The Movie

Christopher Eccleston:

Series 1

David Tennant:

Series 2

Series 3

Series 4

The Specials

iTUNES

Planet of the Spiders

Ghost Light

MY LIBRARY HAS

The Twin Dilemma

Attack of the Cybermen

Vengeance on Varos

Mark of the Rani

Timelash

Delta and the Bannermen

Battlefield

Paul McGann:

The Movie

I really wish Fox / BBC would release that on DVD in America. :(

It'll never happen, unfortunately. The rights issues are all screwedup, and I thin kit's Universal who's blocking it basically because there's nothing in it for them.

The movie was the first story I got on DVD, and it's pretty good, but I have stretches of time where I don't dig it as much as I should. I plan to get everything on DVD soon, but those Colin Baker DVDs just make me cringe...I mean, I like his portrayal of the Doctor for the most part, but I don't feel comfortable spending £35+ on the remaining 6th Doctor episodes when I know they're all in my lower echelon of ratings.

Thanks.

His Doctor is incredibly different to every other incarnation, and it was at a time when the BBC was trying desperately to have the show taken off the air. In amongst the numerous budget cuts and various other factors, the show just produced some really awful episodes that are shown by the fact that Baker was only present for 2 seasons (one of which was a gigantic one-off story split into 4 smaller stories).

As well as this, the BBC requested that, if the show was to return the Doctor would have to regenerate to give the public a reason to watch, as the majority of viewers had dropped off during the Baker years.

It's sad; his portrayal of an angry alien Doctor is unique amongst the collective thus far, and the actual worst set of stories is actually his successor, Sylvester McCoy's first series. But, were it to come down to buying Peter Davison, Sylvester McCoy or Colin Baker and I had to make a choice, Baker would always be the first to disappear off the list.

Admittedly, I've only seen one Colin Baker story in its entirety ("Vengeance on Varos," which I quite like). So I can't really comment on how he plays the part on TV. However, I think he plays a great Doctor in the Big Finish dramas I've heard.

Admittedly, I've only seen one Colin Baker story in its entirety ("Vengeance on Varos," which I quite like). So I can't really comment on how he plays the part on TV. However, I think he plays a great Doctor in the Big Finish dramas I've heard.

Basically, Colin went into the role with a five year plan, to start out abrasive and unlikable and become mellower over time. However, he obviously didn't get the time to see this through, so what we're left with is a first season where he's EXTREMELY offputting for a lot of people. He mellowed considerably for the Trial season, but by then it was basically too late.

In happier Doctor Who DVD news, The Curse of Peladon, The Masque of Mandragora, and The Monster of Peladon are all available on DVD in America as of today.

And one trip to Best Buy later, I have two of those on my pile.

The only Who I have on DVD (at this time) are a sampling of the Tom Baker episodes:

The Ark in Space

Pyramids of Mars

Robots of Death

and Horror of Fang Rock.

That's a hell of a sampling.

Updated List:

Lost in Time Box

The Beginning Box

The Daleks' Invasion of Earth

The Rescue/The Romans Box

The Time Meddler

The War Machines

The Mind Robber

The Invasion

The Seeds of Death

The Silurians

Inferno

The Sea Devils

The Three Doctors

Dalek War Box

Carnival of Monsters

The Green Death

The Time Warrior

Robot

The Ark in Space

The Sontaran Experiment

Genesis of the Daleks

Planet of Evil

Pyramids of Mars

The Brain of Morbius

The Hand of Fear

The Deadly Assassin

The Invasion of Time

The Key to Time Box

Destiny of the Daleks

The Leisure Hive

The E-Space Trilogy

New Beginnings

Four to Doomsday

The Black Guardian Trilogy

Earthshock

Time-Flight/Arc of Infinity

Warriors of the Deep

The Caves of Androzani

Attack of the Cybermen

Vengeance on Varos

The Two Doctors

The Trail of a Time Lord

The Curse of Fenric

Survival

Series 1-4

The Complete Specials - Blu-Ray (awesome)

The Dalek Collection (Peter Cushing Movies)

If anyone wants info about any of those disks; quality, features etc. just let me know and I'll fill you in.

My collection,

An Unearthly Child

The Daleks

The Edge of Destruction

The Aztecs

The Web Planet

Tomb of the Cybermen

The Mind Robber

Spearhead from Space

The Claws of Axos

The Three Doctors

Carnival of Monsters

The Ark in Space

The Sontaran Experiment

Pyramids of Mars

The Hand of Fear

The Robots of Death

Horror of Fang Rock

The Ribos Operation (Key to Time PT 1)

The Pirate Planet (Key to Time PT 2)

Stones of Blood (Key to Time PT 3)

The Androids of Tara (Key to Time PT 4)

The Power of Kroll (Key to Time PT 5)

The Armageddon Factor (Key to Time PT 6)

The Leisure Hive

The Keeper of Traken

Castrovala

Black Orchid

The Five Doctors

The Caves of Androzani

Vengeance on Varos

Mark of the Rani

Revelation of the Daleks

Ghost Light

Rare Episodes, the Patrick Troughton YearsDoctor Who

Just added

The Two Doctors

The Visitation

Earthshock

Time-Flight

Torchwood Season 1.

Just added, Sept 10...

Arc of Infinity

Robot

The Deadly Assassin

Logopolis

Planet of Evil

The Time Warrior

Four to Doomsday

Brain of Morbius

Planet of Fire

The King's Demons

New Series

Season 2

Season 3

The Infinite Quest

Season 4

• 4 weeks later...

While I've managed to amass quite a horde of old VHS copies of classic episodes, my DVD collection has had to be decidedly more selective (mostly due to the fact that my pocketbook, unlike the TARDIS, is sadly NOT bigger on the inside ;) Still, I grab some of my favorites, as well stories which, while relatively new to me, have nonetheless proven to stand the test of time and repeated viewings. Without further ado, my modest but carefully considered collection:

- The Dalek Invasion of Earth [my first Hartnell and B&W purchase on DVD (I had Unearthly Child before that on VHS) and the story which really helped me get past the dodgier aspects of `60s Who and appreciate the quality and impact of one of the better Dalek, as well as companion departure, stories]

- The Seeds of Death [while not being a story I've watched much since I got it (I try to watch these DVDs with other potential fans, and figure that more recent color stories might have more potential for interest) this one is treasured due to my undeniable affinity for the Second Doctor and a fascination with the little-seen Ice Warriors]

- Spearhead from Space [this was actually my first Who DVD purchase, back when the range first started, but I sold it off only to find a used copy years later; I wanted it again mainly for the historical interest (first 3rd Doctor story, first color story, shot on film, etc.) but also as a handy way of comparing it with the newer DVD releases to show just how far they've come]

- Inferno [undoubtedly a classic, and probably the least egregious example of an extended length (read: padded) story from this era of the show, there's also a some nice extras (particularly the one about the UNIT family) to be found]

- Destiny of the Daleks [something of a guilty pleasure for me, this one will always hold a place in my heart for the introduction of Romana II, some quirky Douglas Adams-esque humor, and the wonderfully dated Rastafari aliens which were probably meant to be taken only half-seriously; the DVD also has some great extras such as the adverts starring Tom Baker and Lalla Ward in character, and the tribute to Terry Nation]

- Logopolis [this story was one of my earlier and more persistent Doctor Who memories, and as such, I knew I had to seek it out on disc after having lived with a poorly taped broadcast for years; while it's at times a bit too self-aware of the changing nature of the show during this period, there's still much to admire about a story that can make such an abstract concept as entropy so fascinating and also mesh so well with the general theme of decay and regeneration; there's plenty of nice archival footage in the extra features as well]

- Earthshock [not only a classic for the show in general and the Fifth Doctor's era in particular, but also a good introductory story for new potential fans, this one won me over for daring to take a few chances, both in story and character terms, and if some elements fall flat (the typical running around in quarry and tunnel locations, the sometimes dodgy acting performances), there is nonetheless plenty more to enjoy here than to complain about; the extras are also quite good, especially a certain easter egg from the JBC ;)

- Time-Flight [much like Logopolis, the ideas and themes here are often better than the execution, and they are ultimately what keep me coming back to this one, and though it may just be my wishful thinking, I tend to find that the more ridiculously dodgy aspects of the production almost enhance the rather surreal nature of the story [plus, you just knew something as cutting edge as the Concord was at the time had to feature on Doctor Who in some way); the commentary on this disc, as with the similar one on the Earthshock disc, is wonderfully listenable with a clearly friendly cast poking good-humored fun at the strange on-screen happenings]

- Timelash [now that I've finally had the chance to see for myself, I not entirely sure I understand the vitriol that is often targeted at this story; sure, there are plenty of flaws in the production design, and a fairly laughable performance by Paul Darrow, but both at least take a few chances in order to bring across an alien society, and again the concepts here are definitely worth exploring, with the idea of Wells himself being confronted by rather nightmarish realizations of some of his own literary creations being a highlight]

- Delta and the Bannermen [another story held in contempt by many fans, this one is another recent discovery for me, and one which, while I can appreciate the antipathy towards the comical and decidedly carnival-like atmosphere to the action, still manages to evoke many of the best aspects of the under-appreciated McCoy era; there is with this story, for the first time, a sense that Doctor Who had finally grown up a bit, and while still saddled with the more dodgy production techniques of `80s Who, was really striving to bring a sense of dramatic irony and even a bit of the social commentary inherent in any good science fiction; underneath all the holiday `camp` (in both senses of the word) and the bad early CGI, the underlying theme of coming-of-age in a newly complex universe was one that the show itself had come to realize (too late, as it turned out); some nice archival footage is again included on the disc, a type of extra that I always look forward to on these releases]

- Remembrance of the Daleks [arguably the last true classic story of the original run (though I would personally award that honor to a forthcoming selection), this one has so many wonderful moments, but this time they are finally in service of a story that definitely adds up to more than the sum of its parts; this was my first Seventh Doctor story, and it both bewildered and intrigued me with a depiction of a much more enigmatic Doctor than I had been used to (and before the critics point out both the overly obvious nature of McCoy's question-mark costume elements and his sometimes over-the-top performance, I would like to point out that both serve admirably to demonstrate that special aptitude of the Doctor for playing the fool, while plotting his plans behind the scenes all the while); the extras on both discs of the new Special Edition here are excellent, and do a nice job of filling out the background to a story which had so many intriguing on- and off-screen highlights]

- Battlefield [while being another case of the ideas overreaching the execution, this one is definitely a guilty pleasure and an undeniably fun story, if you can take the campier aspects in good humor (which, I think, is how they're largely meant to be taken); one of the better ideas presented here is that a more modern UNIT story and a story set in the near future both have some interesting potential, something that would be expanded upon in the subsequent Seventh Doctor novels; the bonus `movie cut` of the story included on disc 2 presents the story in more more smoothly paced format (something that, unlike the `omnibus` movie format of earlier story releases on VHS, suits this era and its storytelling style well) with a better look to both the filmed footage and the tweaked effects]

- Ghost Light [a diamond in the rough, this one presents a narrative puzzle to be solved and resolutely refuses to hold forth any easy resolutions; while I partly agree that another episode or two would've made plot points clearer, I still believe that the most of the mystery here is quite intentional and carried out in stylishly subtle way; the extras here are a real treat as well, giving us some truly worthwhile deleted scenes, a fun commentary, and some idiosyncratic insights from the author]

- The Curse of Fenric [a revelation to me upon my original VHS viewing, this story truly takes hold of the more mature story and character philosophies advocated by the writing team at the time and runs with them; again, this DVD's `movie cut` improves the pacing and effects, and allows one to immerse oneself that much more easily in the narrative (although the cliffhangers of the episodes endings, as with Battlefield, are still presented on the disc and are well worth experiencing on a first viewing); this story would have my vote for the last true classic of the original run, and still manages to engross me both intellectually and emotionally more than even the most affecting stories in any era of the show, new and old]

- The Complete Third Series [for me, the new show really took flight in its third series; while both of the previous two had more than enough memorable moments and interesting ideas, it wasn't until the third year that I found the cast gelled together really well and worked really effectively in their story roles; Martha was always a surprising and pleasant change of pace for me, showing the kind of character maturity that Rose and (later) Donna never did, while Tennant's performance as the Doctor had now settled into a more consistent, more believable portrayal than had been (and in some ways, would later be) the case; in addition, the stories were showing a maturity of their own, with many of them applying lessons learned from the both the successes and the failures of the previous series; standout stories include Smith and Jones (one of the better companion introductions, filled with nicely surreal and appropriately tongue-in-cheek moments), Gridlock (a less abstruse variation on cyberpunk themes, with several good character moments), Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks (an unfairly criticized story IMHO, one which presented some fascinating ideas about the Daleks and a serious character dilemma for the Doctor), 42 (an exhilarating, intense action yarn with a few cool science fiction ideas), Human Nature/Family of Blood (a lovely tribute to the New Adventure novels which worked surprisingly well with the new cast), Blink (a fascinating side-step set in the Who-niverse which shows the consequences of living in that universe much more effectively than Love and Monsters did), Utopia (the title notwithstanding, a tantalizing glimpse of a complex dystopian society, and about as good a way to re-introduce Captain Jack as any), and Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords (a rollicking and appropriately melodramatic battle of wits and wills between two opposing and yet equally stormy forces of nature); the extras are somewhat basic (and disappointingly skimpy in the case of the cut-down Confidentials), but I loved the studio tour with Freema Agyeman (can't get enough of that girl!) and the neat David Tennant Video Diaries (for some strange reason, these make me like David more than his Doctor!)]

- The Infinite Quest [while this admittedly doesn't feature the best animation modern technology has to offer, it still surpasses the later Dreamland story in both that department and in its story quality; there's a nice sense of anything being possible here, with an appropriately anime-like feel to both action and the plot devices; it may be all be a bit childish and fairy-tale, but it manages it makes no bones about this and does it stylishly and with gusto; there are a surprising number of extras included, with David Tennant's recording outtakes being a memorably amusing example]

• 9 months later...

William Hartnell

The Keys of Marinus

The Web Planet

Patrick Troughton

The Dominators

Jon Pertwee

The Curse of Peladon

Frontier in Space

Planet of the Daleks

Tom Baker

The Brain of Morbius

The Ribos Operation

The Androids of Tara

The Power of Kroll

The Armagedon Factor

Destiny of the Daleks

Peter Davison

Black Orchid

The Five Doctors: 25th Anniversary Edition

The Caves of Androzani

Colin Baker

The Mysterious Planet

Mindwarp

Terror of the Vervoids

The Ultimate Foe

Sylvester McCoy

Paul McGann

Doctor Who: The Movie

Christopher Eccleston

Doctor Who: The Complete First Series

David Tennant

Doctor Who: The Complete Second Series

Doctor Who: The Complete Third Series

The Infinite Quest

Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series

Doctor Who: The Complete Specials

Matt Smith

Doctor Who: The Complete Fifth Series

Okay. I have a very small DVD collection, but audio books and e-books are a different story. ;)

DVDs:

William Hartnell

The Keys of Marinus

The Space Museum

The Chase

Patrick Troughton

The Mind Robber

Jon Pertwee

The Three Doctors

Tom Baker

The Horror of Fang Rock

The Masque of Mandragora

Peter Davidson

The Five Doctors

Colin Baker

The Two Doctors

Slyvester McCoy

N/A- Looking for some good recommendations.

Paul McGann

The Movie

Christopher Eccleston

Series One

David Tennant

Series Two

Series Three

Series Four

The Next Doctor

Planet of The Dead

The Waters of Mars

Infinite Quest