Episode 46

RSS

Delusional teenagers are tricked into helping an insane video game producer ("Sentries of the Last Cosmos"). Terry tries to give a wayward buddy a second chance ("Big Time"). Someone is using a high-tech bio-containment suit to wreak havoc ("Untouchable"). Bruce searches for Terry deep in the Gotham subways ("Where's Terry?"). And then Ace gets a bit of revenge on his former tormentor ("Ace in the Hole"). [ 1:28:40 || 4037 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_046.mp3

Guest DCAUFan1051

Dang for a minute there I thought James revived the mic from WFP episode 1 :D although this isn't as bad as that was. Just kidding guys.... I'm just starting to listen considering I've felt like a fucking zombie since 6am. I've got the ep on my iPhone with the regular artwork and it's downloading on iTunes on the PC now mike do we get special artwork starting with this episode? Or are u just gonna tell me to wait and see :laugh:

As soon as we started chatting, we could tell the audio would be a tad off, but there was nothing we could do about it. What's funny is that James noted it might sound like the first episode.

Creating and finding suitable images takes a little time, so, for now, Earth-2.net: The Show is the only podcast that will feature rotating artwork on a regular basis. Occasionally the other shows might have a different image, but chances are they'll use the banners you see in their iTunes stores.

Ah, cold weather. I remember that. Those lovely 30 below mornings growing up in Minnesota, waiting to get into school - of course, now "cold" is defined as "any temperature below 60 degrees". I love Hawai'i.

James, I salute you. Your "screen crawl" synopsis was truly brilliant.

Of course, now we're going to want the same for epic episodes. Like all of Justice League.

In regards to the line about not discussing the Joker in ROTJ, Mike, I always took that the same way as you did. Terry know plenty about the Joker - he just has noticed that Bruce never gives him the inside scoop as with the other members of the Arkham Country Club (Stay as long as you like! Leave whenever you like!)

Couple points about "Untouchable" - As far as the subplot with Irene, she did tell Terry that the only thing that got through the field was sound, which ended up being a key plot point. So really, at least 2 to 3 seconds of that subplot was absolutely vital.

Mike, I have to disagree about the point you made regarding Dr. Blades' reaction to Bruce Wayne. First, I wasn't suprised he didn't immediately recognize Wayne - do you think everyone at Enron recognized Kenneth Lay (I mean before the scandal)? As to the weapons, you're right, Wayne has never liked making weapons. He told Luthor that outright in World's Finest. But he hasn't been running the company much in the last 20 years. Derek Powers certainly had no moral qualms with making weapons, and he was running the company for most of Dr. Blades' time there. Sure, Wayne is reasserting his influence, but it's easy to see how Dr. Blades would view the Wayne-Powers management as looking for a way to make weapons - the fact that things have changed in the past year may not yet have filtered down to his department enough to alter his preconceptions based on the last 20 years.

Chris

Chris, you're right when you say Powers did move the company away from Bruce's original vision, which would have led Dr. Blades to think Bruce wanted to use the device as a weapon. However, I insist people would know what Bruce Wayne looks like. He's Bill Gates meets Richard Branson: the thrill-seeking, charitable billionaire known worldwide. Even if you bring up the fact that Bruce is now an old man and has been out of the spotlight for a while, if you recall, he recently made it very public that he was going to be taking part in his company once more. One has to assume, as an employee of Wayne-Powers, Dr. Blades couldn't have missed that news.

Guest DCAUFan1051
As soon as we started chatting, we could tell the audio would be a tad off, but there was nothing we could do about it. What's funny is that James noted it might sound like the first episode.

Creating and finding suitable images takes a little time, so, for now, Earth-2.net: The Show is the only podcast that will feature rotating artwork on a regular basis. Occasionally the other shows might have a different image, but chances are they'll use the banners you see in their iTunes stores.

mike did u update the WFP artwork in iTunes?? it now says Worlds Finest Podcast in white text... wayyy cool. I just figured you'd use the mainpage banner each week as you do with E-2 TS but hey I am happy with the new artwork.

However, I insist people would know what Bruce Wayne looks like. He's Bill Gates meets Richard Branson: the thrill-seeking, charitable billionaire known worldwide.

I agree, and I've certainly seen pictures of both men. I'll be honest, though - if I was at work and saw Bill Gates walking around, I'm not sure that I'd immediately twig to the fact that this was Bill Gates and not some other average looking middle-aged guy. Granted, I did bump into Dog the Bounty Hunter at Ala Moana while finishing my Christmas shopping, and, I'm embarrassed to say, recognized him instantly (I've never watched the show! I swear!), but how many CEO's do you think you'd recognize immediately if they were walking around in your workplace? I'm not sure if I'd even recognize the head of our hospital - I know that I wouldn't recognize Richard Branson, Michael Bloomberg, Steve Jobs. I might recognize Bill Gates. I'd stand a fair chance of recognizing Donald Trump, but he spends enough time on TV to cross the line from straight CEO to media personality.

Failing that argument, if they used the "fans believe the world is real" stereotype, I could always plead the "scientist so wrapped up in his work that he has no idea what's going on around him" stereotype.

Hey, it's at least as realistic as the "computers explode more easily than Ford Pintos filled with C-4" image. Seriously, aren't calculators about 4 bucks now? That's gotta be cheaper than custom built exploding batarangs - and possibly of higher yield. Of course, throwing calculators at people probably will not strike fear into the hearts of criminals, but...

OK, stopping rant now...

Chris

I haven't downloaded it yet to re-listen, but I hope it isn't bad. The LAST thing I want is for us to relive Episode 1. :doh:

I think it would have been less noticeable had you not done the intro. Because it's the first thing that's heard, it's sort of like, "Whoa. What's going on?" But after the music settles and we begin to banter, it isn't that bad.

But the point is, Chris, that Bruce Wayne isn't just any CEO. He's a cornerstone of Gotham City and the global business world. On top of that, he was a playboy whose face was plastered over every tabloid. He's not just a businessman, he's a celebrity.

I see your point, Mike, but I would argue that there are a lot of people who are huge in business - when I lived in Omaha, I shared the city with Warren Buffett, who's the second richest man in the country. No idea what he looks like. Maybe some of this is that I don't follow business, so I'm vaguely aware of some of these names, but really have never felt the need to commit them to memory. As far as the playboy argument - how many 40 year old tabloids from the late 60's have you read? (In case you missed the high points, Liz and Richard Burton are fighting, Judy Garland missed a concert date because she was getting her stomach pumped for drugs, and you can print stories about Elvis, but no-one will believe a word you say). We can both make points that the other will agree with, and it comes down to which have more weight - I have a feeling that this is just going to be one of those where we shake hands, smile, and agree that we're going to disagree on how recognizable Bruce Wayne is in his late 70s.

Chris

Guest DCAUFan1051
I haven't downloaded it yet to re-listen, but I hope it isn't bad. The LAST thing I want is for us to relive Episode 1. :doh:

I think it would have been less noticeable had you not done the intro. Because it's the first thing that's heard, it's sort of like, "Whoa. What's going on?" But after the music settles and we begin to banter, it isn't that bad.

mike is right about the intro I was like wait that's James? is he sick or something? because if u listen to the episode 44 audio and episode 45 audio it's much clearer. But hey everyone has issues with audio every now and then. I just recorded Episode 5 of TFG1 last night and I know now not to drink soda before recording lol :D I haven't finished listening yet I've got like 3 skype convos going lol.

As far as the playboy argument - how many 40 year old tabloids from the late 60's have you read? (In case you missed the high points, Liz and Richard Burton are fighting, Judy Garland missed a concert date because she was getting her stomach pumped for drugs, and you can print stories about Elvis, but no-one will believe a word you say).

Ooooohhhhh! That tabloid argument is a good one! Hell, I'd almost concede the point if it weren't for the fact that Bruce had very recently made the news regarding the direction of the company. His (elderly) face is out there.

As far as the playboy argument - how many 40 year old tabloids from the late 60's have you read? (In case you missed the high points, Liz and Richard Burton are fighting, Judy Garland missed a concert date because she was getting her stomach pumped for drugs, and you can print stories about Elvis, but no-one will believe a word you say).

Ooooohhhhh! That tabloid argument is a good one! Hell, I'd almost concede the point if it weren't for the fact that Bruce had very recently made the news regarding the direction of the company. His (elderly) face is out there.

"Aha! You're using Bonetti's defense against me, eh?"

Guest DCAUFan1051
Yes, but the old iTunes art didn't have the title of the show laid over it.

well I'm glad it does now :D plus when I first subscribed to WFP the art never downloaded with the episodes. So before the WFP site was actually up I just saved the image that was there and used it as artwork

I was gonna watch the episodes after listening but then remembered that all my DVD's are at the new apt in boxes damnit!!!! I hate moving!

Wow! Such high scores for Ace in the Hole. I'd probably give it a five or so. Big Time was easily my favorite of the batch. The wait until King's Ransom and Out of the Past is going to kill me. Also, The Call and Return of the Joker are right around the corner. Finally a break from the more mediocre episodes being covered lately.

Wow! Such high scores for Ace in the Hole. I'd probably give it a five or so. Big Time was easily my favorite of the batch. The wait until King's Ransom and Out of the Past is going to kill me. Also, The Call and Return of the Joker are right around the corner. Finally a break from the more mediocre episodes being covered lately.

I have some episodes to catch up on, but I always hated big time, what a horrible episode.

Also was it just me or does BB almost feel like an MTV cartoon like Aeon flux or something which is more aimed at older kids/teens.