Episode 299

RSS

Tiny Titans: Welcome to the Treehouse, Batman: RIP and Madman: The Oddity Oddessy are the three collections Dan and Mike review this week. Will they fall in love with the cuteness of the li'l Titans, believe the hype surrounding Bruce Wayne's demise and marvel at Mike Allred's earliest take on his most famous character? Maybe. Then again, maybe you'll want to get your hate mail ready. [ 53:37 || 24.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_299.mp3

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The artwork changes with every episode. Are you seeing the old artwork on iTunes, your iPod or both? If it's iTunes, delete the old shows, and you should see the newest artwork. (At least that's how it works with my version of iTunes.) If it's your iPod, you should see the individual artwork as you scroll through.

I'm on a shitty Sony Walkmen thing. Maybe it's just this thing is just a piece of crap.

Anyway, on the episode I understand why you hate R.I.P, but I enjoyed the final pay off issue persoanlly, so each to their own.

You got nothing in the tie-in issues, they were just trying to sell extra copys of the other comics, I should know, I'm the idiot with the lot of them.

Also the second time I read through the issue, on one of the last pages Bruce mentions that he will take care of the problems the black glove caused when he gets back from what he has to take care of for the justice league involving Orions death.

There were two ideas that were the focus of Grant Morrison's run on Batman. The first was the idea that every story that happened to Batman in his 70 years of fictional history actually happened. This is seen in the modern updates of the Club of Heroes, Bat-Mite, and Dr. Hurt, along with the Black Casebook. The second idea appeared towards the end and lead into Final Crisis; the idea that Batman is the ultimate human. This is seen in Batman overcoming the psychological attack by the Black Glove and using his own memories as a weapon in "Last Rites". The flashbacks in the "Last Rites" issues served as an overview of Batman's 70 year history before his death in Final Crisis #6 (it's my hope that the delay of the R.I.P. HC is so that the Final Crisis #6 pages can be added).

I'm one of the people who really enjoyed this story and think it was the best Batman story in the last decade, but I can understand people hating it. DC hyped and marketed the hell out of it, when really, it was just another arc in Morrison's run. I honestly think that it was never meant to be the big event that it was, but DC saw the opportunity to slap on a few tie-in banners and raise some sales. Didio even said that the ending to R.I.P. was modifed so that it would be more appealing to the readers of the collected edition (clearly thy were wrong about that). So yeah, no hate mail from me. In fact, kudos for reading something all the way through you knew from the start that you hated. Not many people would do that.

Yeah, they were betting on his survival, but what did they do that was supposed to destroy him?

All I saw was this:

Evil Guy 1: We're evil... oh! Drinks.

Evil Guy 2: What kind?

Evil Guy 3: Looks like whiskey.

Evil Gal: Pour me some.

Evil Guy 1: Make mine a triple... because I'm evil!

Evil Guy 2: So what about Batman?

Evil Guy 1: Bat-who...? Oh, yeah, Batman. Uh, let's tell him his mother was a whore.

Evil Gal: Good one!

Evil Guy 3: What if we drugged him?

Evil Guy 2: After that, we'll change his clothes and drop him in a shallow grave! (This is good whiskey, by the way.)

Evil Gal: Brilliant! Now pass the bottle.

Evil Guy 1: EVIL~!

Batman 677, Dr. Hurt: "What we are about to do will be a work of art. Nothing less than the complete and utter ruination of a noble human spirit."

Their plan was to break Batman, a figure that embodies justice and the strength of the human spirit. They sullied the good names of the Waynes because their deaths were Bruce's inspiration to become Batman. They pumped him full of drugs and cast him out in the streets to humiliate him. They buried him underground to deprive his brain of oxygen, to destroy the only superpower Batman has, his mind. But all of this failed because, as always, Batman is one step ahead and the Black Glove were nothing but a bunch of rich schmuks.

Yeah, if there was anything to be unclear about, their motivation isn't it. I agree with Koete on anything he says in relation to RIP. We're clearly on the same wavelength. I also see not liking it but Mike's vehemence in the IIWY episode was unwarranted for me. I'll have to check this out sooner than later (backed up on podcasts again) to be in the loop.

Plus, I can't wait until Batman escapes from Desaad's torture machine. :happy:

They sullied the good names of the Waynes because their deaths were Bruce's inspiration to become Batman.

But I don't recall that information ever being printed in the papers, nor do I remember Bruce ever learning it.

They pumped him full of drugs and cast him out in the streets to humiliate him.

How did that humiliate him? It's not like he was found by the police and paraded in front of cameras? All he did was walk around for a little while and talk to what might have been a ghost.

They buried him underground to deprive his brain of oxygen, to destroy the only superpower Batman has, his mind.

But it was a shallow grave, one he was able to crawl out of ever so easily.

But all of this failed because, as always, Batman is one step ahead and the Black Glove were nothing but a bunch of rich schmuks.

That's my point. The Black Glove never came off as evil, just as rich, bored fools.

Yeah, they were betting on his survival, but what did they do that was supposed to destroy him?

All I saw was this:

Evil Guy 1: Bat-who...? Oh, yeah, Batman. Uh, let's tell him his mother was a whore.

Evil Guy 2: After that, we'll change his clothes and drop him in a shallow grave! (This is good whiskey, by the way.)

Mike, you missed out:

Evil Guy 1:Hey, did you wash your hands after going to the bathroom.

So Bane ran him into the ground physically and then broke his back. Ninjas cured him.

Now he has been emotionally, intellectually and spiritually destroyed. What's worse?

Emotionally: How? He knew Jezebel was playing him, and (correct me if I'm wrong) he never saw that info about his parents.

Intellectually: When? He created the secondary persona just in case something like this happened, so, really, he outsmarted his foes.

Spiritually: By losing his mind? Again, he planned for that, so he wasn't really broken.

All I saw was this:

Mike, you missed out:

Evil Guy 1:Hey, did you wash your hands after going to the bathroom.

Evil Gal: Ewwww! You guys are gross! You're too evil for me! I'm going home. Humph!

Guest DCAUFan1051
The artwork changes with every episode. Are you seeing the old artwork on iTunes, your iPod or both? If it's iTunes, delete the old shows, and you should see the newest artwork. (At least that's how it works with my version of iTunes.) If it's your iPod, you should see the individual artwork as you scroll through.

eps 295-298 have changed each time I've downloaded the newer eps the main artwork in cover flow in iTunes changed to the most recent. However with 299 it didn't maybe I need to delete and redownload.

I strike the above part of the post as iTunes screwed up and had to reload it. As well as redownloading 299 it works fine now on my end.

There was nothing about this book that did a single thing for me. The art was awful, the story disjointed and nonsensical, the bad guys were dull, the shocking twist

regarding Jezebel being eeeeeevillllll

was telegraphed from page one, and the epilogue had precisely fuck-all to do with the story proper. I'm really glad that this spoke to some people, but I stand by my shocked incoherence.

But all of this failed because, as always, Batman is one step ahead and the Black Glove were nothing but a bunch of rich schmuks.

That's my point. The Black Glove never came off as evil, just as rich, bored fools.

So the Black Glove Society essentially had the same motivations as the Terrible Trio?