Episode 299

RSS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some Statler and Waldorf quotes which I've modified to fit episode 299.

Mike: The question is, what is Anti-Life?

Dan: The question is, who cares?

Dan: Bravo! Oh, bravo! Wonderful! Just wonderful!

Mike: How would you know? You didn't even read the book!

Dan: Why did you have to tell me? I was having such a good time!

Mike: Is it me or is Grant Morrison sometimes weird just for the sake of being weird?

Dan: I think he just likes to make an artistic statement.

Mike: What statement is he making here?

Dan: He's weird!

Dan: What's wrong?

Mike: I miss... uh... I miss...

Dan: Relax! Batman isn't really dead!

Mike: No, I miss my twenty-five bucks!

Guest DCAUFan1051

Forget a regular Waiting For the Trade I want:

Statler & Waldorf invade Waiting For The Trade!!!!!!!!

that's tooo funny I can sooo see statler's face photoshopped on mike's body and the same goes for waldorf on dan's :laugh:

Guest DCAUFan1051
Personally, I think I'm Statler. No reason why. I just think I am.

"The voice kept calling me "Mike." In my mind, that's not what I call myself."

wow I'd have to agree with mike there that was brilliant never thought of making that comparison :D

I call bullshit on the RIP review.

You guys were unnecessarily harsh. Tony Daniel's art was alright. But to say it was terrible is insulting.

To say, Mike, that this is one of the worst comics you've ever read when you've been reading Robin and Amazing Spider-Man for 10 years is ridiculous.

Never once was it billed as the best story since the inception of the character but it most certainly is one of them.

To call it dumb is not to get it.

This story was a continuation of what Morrison had been doing but clearly you are out to hate this book if you think that this doesn't stand on its own. I'm going to stop before I get angrier. Ridiculous.

This was NEVER going to be the big DC event of the year. It is the yearly Batman event. That's it. You're putting more into this than it is.

I'm not pissed you didn't like it but to call it "shit" and "the worst" is just wrong. Have you ever read Batman?

To call it dumb is not to get it.

This story was a continuation of what Morrison had been doing but clearly you are out to hate this book if you think that this doesn't stand on its own. I'm going to stop before I get angrier. Ridiculous.

These the only two things I'm gonna call bullshit on, because while I hated the story, I didn't go through the whole thing like Mike and Dan did.

I stopped after four issues. That's over ten dollars of my money that I spent on a book, that by issue two, I didn't even like. If that's not giving a book a chance, I don't know what is. I very badly wanted to like the arc and be blown away by every little nuance, but it became clear by issue four that Morrison was only writing for about 10% of his comic buying audience, namely, people that have been following his entire run, and perhaps even moreso, he was writing for himself.

To say that people simply don't "get it" is a cop out. It's not the responsibility of the reader to take notes and figure out what the writer is trying to say. It's the responsibility of good writing to make the reader "get it". There is a way for the story to make sense while still maintaining that sense of chaos that he wanted.

It also needed to be stated that when you advertise that you're going to kill Batman in your title, you have to expect that more than a few people are going to pick it up that have never read any of Morrison's previous run, myself included. I've talked to several people at my comic shop that are still trying to figure it out, because they love Batman, but haven't done all of the previous reading leading to it. Is it possible, that if I read all of Morrison's stuff leading up to it, then read RIP again, it would make a lot more sense? Probably, but that also means it doesn't really stand alone at all, and I don't know how it can really be argued how a new Batman reader could pick this up and not be completely lost.

I didn't hate the art as much at Mike did, though, so you've got me there.

It also needed to be stated that when you advertise that you're going to kill Batman in your title, you have to expect that more than a few people are going to pick it up that have never read any of Morrison's previous run, myself included.

This is why I can understand the dislike a lot of people have for R.I.P. Though it was a culmination of what Morrison had been doing on the title, it was still just a regular storyarc. It was not meant to be the big event that it was hyped up to be. I don't blame Morrison for this, I blame DC's marketing. I doubt any of the "tie-ins" to R.I.P. actually tie into it because it's Morrison's story. I think if DC had allowed R.I.P. to take its course without all the pomp, it wouldn't get a lot of the flack it gets.

Believe it or not, I didn't walk into this book wanting to hate it, or expecting to hate it. I love Grant Morrison, I like Batman, and I was really hoping for a lot more than I got. I felt that what I got was a superhumanly overhyped jumble with subpar art, and that I was being penalized for not having read the rest of Morrison's run.

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, but the eight-issue arc and a half I read didn't do a goddamned thing for me, and it certainly didn't deliver on what I was promised.

Had a long post, PC lost it, not the right place to bring this up, apologise in advance.

Non of the tie-ins had nothing to do with Morrisons R.I.P he may have plotted them for the writers or gave an outline, but none take place during R.I.P and all deal with storys with a one line reference to r.i.P usually being wheres bruce.

RIP is victim of circumstances really. It was overly hyped, even by me. Despite the fact that there are multiple interviews out there with Didio and Morrison basically telling you, "Calm down, nothing's going to happen to Batman until Final Crisis" even I was expecting something huge to happen. Though I must admit, Bruces repressed memory basically changes the character forever.

• 1 month later...

Listened to this one today, purely for the RIP review.

I disagree entirely, but I can sort of see where you're coming from. The thing is, Morrison's stuff always tends to call back to what he was doing earlier in his run. It's the culmination of two (three?) years worth of story, and it does call back to what has taken place within those three years. I don't see it so much as being penalised for not reading earlier stuff. I see it more as coming into book four of a series and complaining that it relies on books 1-3.

Now, DC should market their damn stuff better. They market it to make money, which is good, but in such a way that they don't make more money - because nobody is going to buy the rest of the run.

Finally, I liked it because I know my Batman history, and I know the little details that he's referring back to a lot of the time. The idea that all of this actually took place within the last fifteen years is something that brings a smile to my face.

(Incidentally, the 'Black Journals' were Bruce's accounts of what happened during the weird fifties run when he was fighting aliens every week).