Hey, Erin!

Missy

• 4 weeks later...
The volcano has erupted. Erin wanted me to let everyone know she's fine since she'll be without Internet for several hours.

Feh, thats what the Romans in Pompeii said and look what happened to them.

Don't worry Erin. In the event that you are trapped by lava the giant eagle rescue team are on hand to save you.

Glad things are alright. News item below:

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Alaska's Mount Redoubt volcano erupted four times overnight, sending an ash plume 15 kilometres into the air, but the state's largest city has likely been spared from any ashfall.

"The ash cloud went to 50,000 feet, and it's currently drifting toward the north, northeast," said Janet Schaefer, a geologist with the Alaska Volcano Observatory.

The first eruption occurred at 10:38 p.m. on Sunday night and the fourth happened at 1:39 a.m. Monday, according to the observatory.

The current wind patterns are taking the ash cloud away from Anchorage and instead heading toward Willow and Talkneetna, two communities near Mount McKinley, North America's largest mountain in Denali National Park.

Geophysicist John Power said no cities have yet reported any ash fall from the volcano, but noted that it's still early.

Using radar and satellite technology, the National Weather Service is predicting ash to start falling later Monday morning.

Dave Stricklan, a technician with the National Weather Service, expected very fine ash.

"Just kind of a light dusting," he said. He said the significant amount of ash probably dropped immediately, right down the side of the volcano.

"The heavier stuff drops out very quickly, and then the other stuff filters out. There's going to be a very fine amount of it that's going to be suspended in the atmosphere for quite some time, but nothing to really affect anything such as aviation travel. The heavier stuff will filter out," he said.

The Redoubt volcano, 160 kilometres southwest of Anchorage, last erupted during a four-month period from 1989-90.

But the volcano became restless earlier this year. The observatory had warned in late January that an eruption could occur at any time.

Increased earthquake activity over the past 48 hours prompted scientists to raise the alert level for Mount Redoubt on Sunday.

On Sunday morning, 40 to 50 earthquakes were being recorded every hour.

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=w032333A

Hey everybody,

Just found an Internet connection here at school and I am taking advantage of it since I do not know when my home Internet connection will be restored.

First of all I am perfectly fine. The wind has blown the ash north and west of Anchorage, but we are expecting a shift in the wind later tonight so ash may still cover Anchorage. If this occurs, I do not where or when I will be able to find another Internet connection. But be assured that I am alive, well, and carrying on in my everyday routine of work, school, and work.

Still no ash. Let's hope it stays that way.

Early this morning, about 2am, my coworker went to the animal shelter to put all the dogs inside in case the ash fell. Our manager (who lives at the shelter) saw a light on and went into the office in his boxer shorts to investigate, with his gun. Luckily he recognized her truck, so he went back to the apartment behind the shelter, put his gun away, put some clothes on, and came out to help her with the rest of the dogs. Now we both know that if he doesn't answer our text messages we shouldn't be afraid to call and wake him up before we stop by, or he might shoot us.

It's exciting times, even when no ash falls.