Christian Bale flips out

JackFetch

How was the DP in the wrong when he's the head of the lighting crew? He has to make sure everything is right for a scene. I think what happened was Bale was having a bad day, this guy walked over during filming and Bale got distracted and used it as an excuse to lash out. He didn't walk into the scene like some people seem to think, but was behind the camera.

The DP on TERMINATOR SALVATION, Shane Hurlbut, is a apparently a light tweaker. He's a fairly young DP and likes to fiddle with his lights on set during action, which is a big "NO NO" on most productions unless worked out in advance with performers. But apparently Shane was a pretty unrepentant light tweaker.

The scene in question, was a very emotional and tough scene between Christian Bale and Bryce Howard. A scene that required soul bearing and a deep level of immersive concentration. The sort of scene where everyone on set knows not to get in anyone's eye lines, and definitely not to move lights around while FILMING. You lock that shit down before the scene starts.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

Now, the reason I know all of this is because the person that was there, felt that it should be made perfectly clear that Christian Bale was the utmost gentleman and cool guy on set. And the DP really was doing something that professional DPs with experience just don't do. Not during a performance.

You don't need me to give you a link, it's all over the internet, I just felt that you should know what really went down - and that this particular outburst did indeed modify the DP's behavior - and for future DPs. Fuck with the lights before and after your actors are acting. Not during.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39984

So Bale is allowed to verbally abuse and threaten a coworker because the guy made a no no? This is an example of actors being coddled because they throw tantrums. Even the director, the guy that is supposed to be in charge, couldn't tell Bale to shut up and talked to him as if he was a child needing a nap. I've lost a lot of respect for him because of this. Nobody should be allowed to talk to a co worker like hat.

So Bale is allowed to verbally abuse and threaten a coworker because the guy made a no no? This is an example of actors being coddled because they throw tantrums. Even the director, the guy that is supposed to be in charge, couldn't tell Bale to shut up and talked to him as if he was a child needing a nap. I've lost a lot of respect for him because of this. Nobody should be allowed to talk to a co worker like hat.

That’s what I’m saying. Bale is completely in the wrong here. I do think he should have said something. From what I’ve read, adjusting the lighting while filming is an amateurish mistake to make, and it’s fair enough that Bale didn’t like it. But Bale blowing up like that is beyond ridiculous, and it makes him look like a child.

That is f*cking hilarious. The half British half American thing makes him sound Aussie.

I'd be pretty pissed at that guy for what he did as well but I wouldn't be as crazy as Bale was here unless I was behind the wheel of a car at the same time. Still, I'm not going to judge the guy, he's an intense actor and emotionally the strain he has to put himself through for some scenes would affect his behavior to some extent. We don't understand the full extent of the circumstances that caused and followed this.

Bale had indeed warned the DP on multiple occasions about messing with lights while the cameras were rolling, and Bale was in the midst of a painful scene with Bryce, what was described to me as being the emotional center of the film and his character for the film.

That line says a lot. I'm pretty sure both were in the wrong, but I'm much more sympathetic to Bale than I am the DP. There's no reason whatsoever for him to be fooling around with the lighting and wandering around in the background during a take, especially one as emotional and draining as this one seemed to be. Twice as bad that Bale had warned him more than once before during production. Did he step over the line? Maybe, but if a simple request didn't work several times in the past, stronger wording may have been justified. I'll bet they didn't have any problems with people wandering around during filming afterwards.

Bale apologises

I dunno, I only just heard it now and the way the internet (including this thread) had it, it sounded like Bale was saying the worst things in the world to this guy, so I was slightly underwhelmed. Sure he overreacted, but I wouldn't go as far as to say I've lost any respect for the guy. I've always thought of Bale as an intense actor and the victim of the abuse was partially in the wrong, so I'm not all that offended. The guy's got a shitty temper, but otherwise, ths is all pretty much a non-event, apart from how big a star Bale is.

To be very honest, the guy adjusting lighting on such a big film while they're shooting should have been fired. That's bullshit and crap professionalism.

So is screaming your fucking head off at a guy who, while making a shit-ton of money, still make much much less than you. It's a little demeaning. But the guy was a bit of a retard.

Cracked Presents: Bale Flips Out According to the Other Guy

As far as I'm concerned, that DP should never, ever work again in Hollywood. He can go be Master Electrician for some shitty off-Broadway deal, if he wants to pull shit like that.

It's unprofessional as hell, and he's lucky that Bale didn't just deck him.

EDIT:

I mean, don't you just wanna scream at him, look at the guy:

global_images_en_motion_newsletters_onFilmInterviews_hurlbut.jpg