The "Good news, everyone!" thread

James D.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have successfully moved from my student abode in Newcastle to the attic room of my mum's cousin on the other side of Newcastle! Now I just have to finish my dissertation and then the world is at my feet!*

*Apart from the need to pay back Barclays Bank some £10k.

-Found out what I'm going to be getting paid at my new job, for a 4 day work week (turning into a 3-day week in November) I'm going to be happy. It's going to suck when I get a job in journalism because I'll be taking a pay-cut.

-Read the diet plan for P90X a little bit more closely. Turns out that the meal plan put in there is a sample guide. There is actually a plan where it gives you serving amounts and lets you do it yourself. Thus I wont have to break the bank to buy all sorts of crazy shit. I can get by on normal foods.

Had the best night ever tonight. Saw the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Science Museum of Minnesota, then Michelle and I stumbled on a "Halfway to St. Patty's Day" party at a GOREGOUS bar in Stillwater, MN. The band was playing Flogging Molly, The Pogues, Great Big Sea, Dropkick Murphys, all these songs I knew and loved. On the patio. And there was a lady handrolling cigars. And there was THREE DOLLAR JAMESON.

• 2 weeks later...

First day of my second year of uni started today. Two hour lecture, two hour trip to the pub (apparently over the summer my small group because the cool kids and we doubled our number for that one) and then a two hour seminar in the afternoon. Learned a couple of important things, firstly I have zero exams in my main modules this year, its all coursework (WIN) including keeping a blog on the uni site of all things. Secondly we're expected to watch films that provide a vision of the future this term, anything from Metropolis (which is awesome) to Children of Men (which is the f'n BOMB). Also included in this may well be sci-fi books and (drumroll) comics. Comic book visions of the future and societal change. Judge Dredd. DMZ. Can't think of any others applicable off the top of my head but still, this is gonna RULE.

Oh, and I now have two days off to take care of my own shit before my thursday video and friday journalism modules start. Loving this already.

Listeners to BBC Radio 4 were shocked to learn that Milton Jones had made the leap from stand-up comedy and popular radio to the world of indy wrestling in Canada. Mr Jones himself was unavailable for comment.

I saw him deliver a set at Reading festival last month! Hilarious fella.

Nice hat, Kellen!

Today was my technical "party", where all my friends showed up and played video games. Two of my friends forgot to tell a third. (A guy I know somewhat, but not very well.) He was able to start heading over around 3:30, the three friends live in a town about thirty-minutes away. I gave him some light directions, and by the time I took my other two friends home (around six o'clock), we agreed that he had gotten lost and turned for home.

Later tonight, at about 8:45, he showed up, with presents. He had spent the entire evening trying to find the house (He didn't have his cell phone for us to contact him). We chatted and played video-games for about an hour and he headed home.

How amazing of a friend is that? That's just awesome!

• 3 weeks later...

My new phone is AWESOME!!!!!! I've probably only got to grips with 40% of it so far, but I've already been on the internet with it, watched iPlayer whilst moving around my house, downloaded a useful NHL app to keep on top of the Calgary Flames, assigned pictures to some of my contacts and hastily deleted the unwanted X Factor app!

I know that my old phone was somewhat archaic, but I'm a convert to the wonders of mobile internet.