The "Good news, everyone!" thread

James D.

Six months, 40,000+ words and 79 pages in my word processor later, I've finished my book. It is a reference book of sorts--a thesaurus for middle and high school students that defines synonyms one by one and explains logical places to use them instead of just blindly picking them out of a Roget's.

My mother is proofreading it for me--former English teacher and all that. I hope to be able to self publish it soon.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a great idea, James. Have you thought of shopping it around to some academic publishers? I think you might have a winner on your hands.

Might be worth putting off self-publishing to see what publishers think. You'd net a lot more money (academic books are crazy) and it would reach more readers. Especially if it gets into schools.

• 2 weeks later...

So, between my in-laws and my parents I got a not insignificant amount of money for my birthday. I used it to order a chef's coat and a nice mid-range chef's knife.

Fast forward and my order is a week late. Amazon makes up for it by giving me the knife for free and sending me a second coat, which both arrived today.

Pretty much awesome.

Did you have to get an agent for your book? Because I keep reading on all the publisher websites I visit that they don't take "unsolicited submissions."

Sorry James, just saw this. No I didn't have one, but I'd imagine an academic literary agent would be a little easier to get than a regular one.

Preston's right about the hit on the agent. Getting an academic publisher gets it in schools and on book-buying lists. Schools buy books like crazy.

Definitely worth looking into.

• 2 weeks later...