Battle for the Cowl

SuaveStar

So Final crisis is over, R.I.P is finished and Batman and detective are taking a break soon.

That means we're getting a three issue mini-series about who the next Batman will be "Battle for the cowl"

So who does everyone think it will be?

Also look at the Battle for the cowl checklist

So I for one will be hoping to pick up the battle for the cowl main issues, but not the one shots. I did it for R.I.P and will not be doing it again.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have they got planned for oracle?

He's insinuating that The Cure means she will walk again which is something that Dan DiDio said would never happen on his watch.

I'll be doing Battle for the Cowl. I love Tony Daniel unlike some others around here...

Club of Heroes? Quoi?

Catwoman 1000000 to 1: No chance.

Hush 10 to 1: I think it is slightly likely that he'll take the cowl. But if there's going to be a tortured violent Batman it won't be him.

Nightwing 3 to 1: An unwilling Batman to stem the tide of Gotham's villainy until Bruce is back is most likely to me.

Red Hood 5 to 1: Most likely other than Dick. Another reason fro Bruce to come back and papa spank.

Robin 50 to 1: I don't see it. Not yet anyway.

2:1 Tim Drake (I'd say Tim is the most likely candidate, because Dick has outright rejected the cowl before.)

4:1 Nightwing (Pretty likely.)

5:1 Jason Todd (Is everything that Hush is, but isn't going to cause a backlash.)

10: 1 Hush (I'd dig it, but not many else would.)

100000000000000: 1 Selina (No.)

Precisely one of the people on that cover can be the new Batman. Shouldn't they be promoting some ambiguity by throwing down Nightwing and Jason Todd?

That's not the image, man. This is:

batman-dc-comics-20080729081303476.jpg

I know thats the main image, I'm just wondering why a book entitled "Battle For The Cowl" has a cover that doesn't feature two likely candidates, y'know, battling for the cowl. Shouldn't all the other characters in incedental?

To me it looks like Robin doesn't like the front-runner and brought in some reinforcements.

That might work if he hadn't just told Spoiler to never put on her costume again.

Unless the idea of a psychopath in the Batman costume is enough to ask her to help him.

But seriously, when does the cover ever really indicate what's going on in the book?

Top left- Spoiler, Stephanie Brown. Former Robin IV and Tim Drake's ex.

Centre- Robin III, Tim Drake

Top right- Batgirl II, Cassandra Cain, Daughter of Lady Shiva and David Cain.

Left- The Knight II, Cyril Sheldrake. The British Batman

Right- Commissoner Jim Gordon

Bottom left- Interchangable ethnic martial arts gang leader. Seriously, there are like 12 of these people in recent bat history, I couldn't name her if I wanted.

Bottom right- Squire III, Beryl Hutchinson. Robin to The Knight's Batman.

I'm excited for all of this. I think I'll only be picking up Battle for the Cowl and Azrael though.

My first thought is this, I never want someone to replace Bruce. Bruce Wayne IS Batman, no one else. Stick him in a Lazarus pit, put a spell on him, or let him hop of Flash's back and run him through time or something if DC is worried about him getting old, but I don't think I'll ever be ok with a permanent Batman who isnt Bruce. Since all this is most likely temporary though...

I want to see Jason Todd or Hush.

If Nightwing or Robin got it I feel like they would just run around and do a lot of what Bruce would do, except not as good (I want to someone piss of Batman thinking "Batman doesn't kill" and BAM, they're dead). I've always loved Hush and although I didn't like the idea of a returning Jason Todd, Judd Winick kicked ass in Under the Hood (making me love Jason Todd again). Plus, given Hush's current state he could play both Bruce and Batman. MAN that would rule.

Also, I don't know where she went (maybe I missed a story) but why isn't Lady Shiva being brought up at all? She helped re-trained Bruce when he broke his back and as far as I know is still considered one of the best assassins in the DCU. Obviously she couldn't be Batman but I miss her character in the comics.

• 3 weeks later...
Also, I don't know where she went (maybe I missed a story) but why isn't Lady Shiva being brought up at all? She helped re-trained Bruce when he broke his back and as far as I know is still considered one of the best assassins in the DCU. Obviously she couldn't be Batman but I miss her character in the comics.

read the last issue of Robin.

Well, I read the solicitations that mentioned part three of the battle, and I saw that.

Maybe it's only temporary as that could piss a lot of people off.

well we already know that all this battle for the cowl stuff is temporary since Morrison is writing an in continuity book with the Bruce Wayne Batman, but even just for a temporary thing it dosen't make much sense. This is a storyline which is spinning out of Morrison's run and Jason Todd wasn't anywhere in that run let alone even mentioned.

The way they treat Jason is just so inconsistent. He's a multiple-murderer, he's repeatedly attacked heroes and brutally injured several and he has openly run criminal organizations dealing in arms and drugs, and yet when he meets up with any hero they are like "I don't know if I should trust you". What a stupidly botched character ever since he got out of Judd Winick's hands.

If this attempt to be Batman puts him back on the right track then great, but they'll have to exercise some serious editorial control over how they let Jason be portrayed.