Battle for the Cowl

SuaveStar

And Suavestar, I seriously can't see how anyone would have enjoyed Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. I just can't.

WHTTCC showed the reverence for the history of Grant Morrison without being written like a series of visions induced by repeated severe electrocution. I'm not going to pass judgement on the thing as a whole until the second issue comes out but so far it been the best thing written in the Batman books in a long time. Only issue 666 comes close from Morrisons run.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

Just wow.

I really should reply to Des Threats when I'm awake(a play on words.....you see cause it sounds like death threat....and your Des.......I'll leave now.)

Seriously after Morrisons whole "Hey lets fuck things up for a while and make you wonder what the hell is going on" for six or seven months, this was a nice breath of easy to read air to me.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed Morrisons run, but this felt like a mystery story that Batman has to solve and something about the whole scene just doesn't feel right, and you have to wait to find out.

If i'm wrong, and the second part sucks, i will put in my sig "Whatever Dread says must be true, because let's face it, he is my stepfather."

Anyway, yeah I really preffered to issue one of battle for the cowl as was for £3.99 more new reader friendly, as with this you can see Batman is dead and his rogues are chatting with each other and everyone is nice, something is wrong.

Also, Morrisons three generated Batman, do you think daniel will use them in BFTC? I mean the one who was at the end of R.I.P or will Morrison use him again like he did in batman 666.

I thought Battle #1 had some cliched moments but overall it was a great Batman story with some amazing fluidity between art and writing. The storytelling weas gorgeous whether you like Daniels' style or not.

WHTTCC part one was a farce if anything and had zero storytelling from an artist who is better than what was put in there. The best part about that story was the kid watching the cars. Even that got old. I loathed that issue.

I liked battle for the cowl issue one and thought the art was good, hopefully I have enough room to backtrack when issue two comes out.

But it just didn't make me say "Oh jesus! What the hell is going to happen next!" or anything like that. Here's a transcript of what happened:

I read battle for the cowl: Well that was nice. Not special, and not really worth £3, but nice.

Now onto green lantern corps. Yay!

It was alright and the art was nice it just didn't give me the big "You will buy this £3.99 now!" feeling I was hoping for.

Caped crusader is mixed, I liked it and you didn't and thats fine. I understand your problems with WHTCC and I will say the art although good, wasn't the awesome stuff i would point out to people and say "Isn't that nice" but it did the story and alright service.

Also you have to say the Denny O'Neill issues of batman with Nightwing were worst, can we agree on that as I was so horribly disappointed overall with THAT issue.

Also i like Daniels art I really liked his work on R.I.P which may piss off some, but hey, thats my opinion.

WHTTCC part one was a farce if anything and had zero storytelling from an artist who is better than what was put in there. The best part about that story was the kid watching the cars. Even that got old. I loathed that issue.

Well thats your opinion and I respect it no matter how wrong it is. :happy:

And Suavestar, I seriously can't see how anyone would have enjoyed Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader. I just can't.

WHTTCC showed the reverence for the history of Grant Morrison without being written like a series of visions induced by repeated severe electrocution. I'm not going to pass judgement on the thing as a whole until the second issue comes out but so far it been the best thing written in the Batman books in a long time. Only issue 666 comes close from Morrisons run.

I'm waiting for the second issue to reserve judgement on it as well, because it might actually pay off. I liked it more than Des, I certainly didn't think it was terrible, but I don't get the praise for it either. And Morrison was showing his reverence for the history his entire run, not just in "Last Rites". Zur-En-Arrh...the Club of Heroes...Bat-Mite...the concept of the Black Casebook that acknowledges all those wacky fifties stories...all of that was before "Last Rites".

kinda suprised by that reaction. i thought it was the perfect companion piece to what Morrison has been doing with Batman the last few years, and was the best work i have ever seen from Kubert.

Haven't read BFTC yet, but i am sure it will be "meh" at best.

For me, Morrison's work has been showing reverence for the character's past but Gaiman's first issue anyway has shown nothing but irreverence. I HATED it and will unlikely be along for the second.

Gaiman has lost me in both prose and comics now.

...You're talking about the guy who wrote American Gods. I'm half tempted to cut you.

For me, Morrison's work has been showing reverence for the character's past but Gaiman's first issue anyway has shown nothing but irreverence. I HATED it and will unlikely be along for the second.

Gaiman has lost me in both prose and comics now.

...You're talking about the guy who wrote American Gods. I'm half tempted to cut you.

Still in my top twenty but he hasn't written a decent thing since.

Thought I'd continue the IIWY discussion here so as to give some space to other mainpage endeavours:

I think it's unfair to compare a single issue to an entire storyline (re: Reign of the Supermen). This is issue one of a three issue miniseries. Three issues is a format I adore and think takes some mastery to pull off really well. What Daniel has done is set up all of our players and given the situation with some pretty impressive moments. That's what the first issue is for.

I thought he did it pretty damned well.

Read the first 50 pages of Anansi Boys and put it down to never pick it up again. Didn't care for it.

Fragile Things I own but haven't had the interest to flip through it yet. Not sure I ever will. I have stacks of better books to get to.

Ih, tastes differ. I think his comic work is far behind his prose these days, but I still worship the ground the guy walks on.

• 3 weeks later...

I read the first issue the other day, and liked it. It certainly wasn't up to the standards of what Morrison has been doing with Batman but i don't think it's deserving of all the hate it has been getting either. There were a few cool moments all in all and i will probably go pick up issue #2 and #3 when i get a chance.

So, Battle for the Cowl #2? Thoughts?

Personally, I hate the fact that Jason Todd is gun-toting Batman. First, I hated him coming back anyway, so that hurts that. And the fact that he FUCKING SHOT TIM is bullshit. The art in that last panel makes it look like Tim is dead. Fuck what will actually happen - people love to shoot Batman and then have it be, like, "ah, it's just a flesh wound" - but that's what the art is showing us.

Batman has to be Dick or Tim. No other version is acceptable if it isn't Bruce. Remember what a disaster Azrael was? This is the exact same character, but with guns instead of blades. Same fucking thing. Still sucks. End rant.

I enjoyed issue 2 and promise that you that

Tim is not dead, he has too many fans DC wouldn't do something that dumb. Also he is slated to be Red Robin, also remember Damian was shot, and will be fine.

I did enjoy issue two and subsequently reread and enjoyed issue one, so well, that was fun.

Also I like how the one shots tie in, unlike R.I.P and aren't just their for the money, their there for the money and to help further the story.

I enjoyed issue 2 and promise that you that

Tim is not dead, he has too many fans DC wouldn't do something that dumb.

Impulse and Superboy

come to mind.

Yeah...no way Tim is dead.

I'm loving this so far though. For only getting 3 issues Tony Daniel is doing a great job of setting us up for the next couple of months (maybe years). Although the Black Mask's return is a little wimpy I love the character, Jason Todd makes for a great killing Batman, And with Damien and Tim out of business for awhile I'm honestly stumped on whats going to happen.