Episode 07

RSS

While shrunken down, the TARDIS crew must stop a murderer ("Planet of Giants"). Then they face an old enemy bent on coring out the Earth ("The Dalek Invasion of Earth"). And for the first time ever, a member of the cast leaves the show, prompting Dan and Mike to examine Susan's contributions to the program.

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/biggeronth.../bigger_007.mp3

Great choice of quote there, Mike.

DOCTOR: I think you'd better let us go.

DALEK: We do not release prisoners. We are the masters of the Earth.

DOCTOR: (Very matter-of-factly) Not for long.

It's easy to miss, but this Doctor can be pretty badass when he wants to be.

I think I should mention that, along with F4Wonline stuff, this is the only podcast I make sure to listen to every episode of. Fantastic stuff, and Dalek Invasion of Earth is one of my favourite stories they ever did. I read it long before I ever saw it, as it was the first Target novelisation I ever got.

If I may mention one thing that I'm surprised you didn't give much time to, one thing that must have been eery about this at the time is the fact that, if 'The Daleks' was all about the Nazi's, this story is all about the London Blitz.

I enjoyed the review of Land of the Giants, but to be honest, I was just waiting for the Daleky goodness, because I knew how much you'd like this one.

Quick trivia point for you - I don't believe the budget concerns in the 'deserted streets of London' were as big as you thought. They filmed in the early hours of the morning, just at dawn, when nobody was up. It's possibly an urban legend, but apparently there is - in the background of one scene - a milkfloat visible tootling down one of the roads.

Also, from a budget point of view, it's worth remembering that they didn't have to build the TARDIS set, which would have been the most expensive thing about the first season's budget.

• 3 weeks later...

I hated how Susan was stranded on Earth like that. She was basically dumped. Didn't she might have some possessions on the Tardis she might want? Or how about that fact that you're being dumped in what amounts to a prehistoric post-apocalypse backwater world when you are from one of the most advanced worlds in the universe. Maybe it was based on a England 1960's sensibilities but I watched this in the 80's, NYC, and I already knew crushes can have powerful feelings, but they usually don't last long. To me it seemed like if my dad dumped me on a deserted island with a pretty girl I had a crush on. Okay, for a few months I would enjoy it, but after awhile I would be missing tv, the movies, stores, friends, parties, comic books, going somewhere besides the same island over and over.

It's a very moving scene, but yeah, when you really sit and think about it, the Doctor did sort of... strand her a little.

I gotta see it again. I seen it 3 times, I think and never did I feel touched, I always felt betrayal. Her grandfather abandoning her. Her teachers who claimed they only wanted to help her not even saying a word to help her out.

It's a very moving scene, but yeah, when you really sit and think about it, the Doctor did sort of... strand her a little.

I gotta see it again. I seen it 3 times, I think and never did I feel touched, I always felt betrayal. Her grandfather abandoning her. Her teachers who claimed they only wanted to help her not even saying a word to help her out.

I think she was dumped because she had started to get on everyone's nerves with her whiny, screamy attitude.

• 2 weeks later...

I think she was dumped because she had started to get on everyone's nerves with her whiny, screamy attitude.

That's something else I didn't like her character doing, screaming all the time. I figured if she's so smart then she would know screaming probably wouldn't help. Guess it was another 60's mentality thing, females and kids in trouble, scream.

Actually I don't quite get the screaming when scared thing. Or atleast when scared why aren't they screaming help or for someone. Even when I was a kid I never just screamed, unless we were playing, I always screamed for someone, mom, dad, somebody. Course I've never gone against real monsters, but I would wake up yelling, "Ma! Pa!" after waking from nightmares. Never just screaming.

Okay, I just saw it again and it's worse than I remember. The Doctor not only left her behind, he took one of her shoes and then left her behind. And you could see she was in shock from his betrayal. Now she gotta live her life with a guy who wants to be a farmer and with one shoe.

And what kind of speech was that? Was that suppose to make her feel better? "Go live your life, on a post-apocalypse world as a farmer. No being anything great like a Timelord for you. You're just a silly girl, now go play house and prove my old fashion ways are right."

• 8 months later...