The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, that movie actually leaked recently. And I might or might not have seen it. And honestly, even though that scene was amazing in the book, I totally didn't miss it in the movie, and there really wasn't a place for it in the story. It would have only been in there just to be in there.

I disagree:

When he took Kandor away, that would have been the perfect opportunity to save her. My other gripe is that they left out the entire Bizzaro issue. Which was my personal favourite in the series.

However, the film was still awesome without that.

I would say it was closest to New Frontier as being the best film they've done. The cast, bar Luthor were all awesome, Luthor's voice did get better as the film progressed though.

My top three list:

New Frontier

All Star Superman

Under the red hood

When he took Kandor away, that would have been the perfect opportunity to save her. My other gripe is that they left out the entire Bizzaro issue. Which was my personal favourite in the series.

Hmm. Perhaps.

The Bizarro thing, though, had nothing to do with the rest of the arc.

I think part of the problem is that the comic had multiple storylines, but the movie (for completely understandable reasons) only covers the main storyline. Still, though, I thought it was amazing. I really do think it's the first of these films that really feels "complete," like a real full-length animated film, not just a short film (despite it being the same length as the others). It might be my favorite of the DCUA movies, even (barely) edging out my beloved Wonder Woman.

My list (favorite to least) currently goes:

All-Star Superman

Wonder Woman

Batman: Under the Red Hood

Justice League: The New Frontier

S/B: Apocalypse

Green Lantern: First Flight

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths

Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam (DC Showcase Collection)

S/B: Public Enemies

Batman: Gotham Knight

Superman: Doomsday

So, that movie actually leaked recently. And I might or might not have seen it. And honestly, even though that scene was amazing in the book, I totally didn't miss it in the movie, and there really wasn't a place for it in the story. It would have only been in there just to be in there.

I disagree:

However, the film was still awesome without that.

I would say it was closest to New Frontier as being the best film they've done. The cast, bar Luthor were all awesome, Luthor's voice did get better as the film progressed though.

My top three list:

New Frontier

All Star Superman

Under the red hood

Awesome this film was not...

I may or may not have seen the film too and though I think the animators and voice actors did a good job (especially Anthony LaPaglia as Luthor and James Denton as Superman), it fell flat for me because they had a bland, jumbled story to work with. I'm glad they stripped it down so that the plot was more focused on Luthor's plan and that their final confrontation was a lot longer than in the source material, but I still could have done without all the silly vignettes that added nothing to that story, such as the one with the invading Kryptonian couple and Atlas and Samson vying for Lois' affections. I know the movie would then have lost a good 15 to 20 minutes, but it was complete filler in the source material and was padding here too.

Another reason why this did little for me was that the music was bland as hell, something which isn't the case with most of these movies.

Also, a random observation that totally undermines Superman's credibility as the world's greatest hero: When X-raying the female invading Kryptonian, he begins by looking STRAIGHT at her tits.

I'm not a Grant Morrison fan at all, so take what I said as you will, but this film only increased my distaste for his work. Admittedly, of his stuff I've only read JLA: Earth-Three and All-Star Superman, but reading the later--his supposed magnum opus-- makes me not want to give him anymore of my fucking money.

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Issue 10 is the most important issue in the entire series. The scene of Superman comforting a single, ordinary girl who needs him, amid scenes of him curing cancer and creating life, represents perfectly who Superman is and what he represents. To not have that scene and that issue in the film reveals a lack of understanding why All-Star Superman is so beloved and cripples the film as an adaptation.

I'm not a Grant Morrison fan at all, so take what I said as you will, but this film only increased my distaste for his work. Admittedly, of his stuff I've only read JLA: Earth-Three and All-Star Superman, but reading the later--his supposed magnum opus-- makes me not want to give him anymore of my fucking money.

Actually, his magnum opus is considered to be The Invisibles, which considering your opinion of his work I'd definitely stay away from.

I admit that Grant Morrison is a writer people will love or hate, but I'm dumbfounded that All-Star Superman would be the comic to turn you off his work.

I thought this was one of the best movies they've done so far, but it's not quite there for me.

If they had kept in the Issue 10 bits, it would've been perfect.

Here's how my personal heirarchy goes at the moment:

Wonder Woman

Batman: Under the Red Hood/Justice League: The New Frontier

All-Star Superman

Superman/Shazam: The Return of Black Adam (DC Showcase Collection, within this, Jonah > Spectre > Shazam > Green Arrow)

Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths

Green Lantern: First Flight

Also, a random observation that totally undermines Superman's credibility as the world's greatest hero: When X-raying the female invading Kryptonian, he begins by looking STRAIGHT at her tits.

...Which is where the heart is, dipshit.

I may or may not have seen the film too and though I think the animators and voice actors did a good job (especially Anthony LaPaglia as Luthor and James Denton as Superman), it fell flat for me because they had a bland, jumbled story to work with. I'm glad they stripped it down so that the plot was more focused on Luthor's plan and that their final confrontation was a lot longer than in the source material, but I still could have done without all the silly vignettes that added nothing to that story, such as the one with the invading Kryptonian couple and Atlas and Samson vying for Lois' affections. I know the movie would then have lost a good 15 to 20 minutes, but it was complete filler in the source material and was padding here too.

Another reason why this did little for me was that the music was bland as hell, something which isn't the case with most of these movies.

He has to look at her chest, it's the only way he can do a chest x-ray. The music, I'll agree, there was nothing stand out in the music, it did it's job, nothing more, nothing less.

I quite liked the Samson scenes, I thought they were a nice break from the serious tone of the film.

Also, I will say, the main thing that sold me on All Star was Frank Quitely first, Morrison second. The artwork is just stunning to me.

And he had nothing to do with the adaptation, if you want to blame someone, blame the writer, Dwayne McDuffie.

I'm sorry, but that's absolutely ridiculous. Issue 10 is the most important issue in the entire series. The scene of Superman comforting a single, ordinary girl who needs him, amid scenes of him curing cancer and creating life, represents perfectly who Superman is and what he represents. To not have that scene and that issue in the film reveals a lack of understanding why All-Star Superman is so beloved and cripples the film as an adaptation.

I don't really think so. I mean, that scene is wonderful (it's my favorite part of the book and one of my favorite scenes in any comic, ever), but it honestly had nothing to do with the rest of the plot that they were focusing on. I'd have rather had it in there, but it didn't break the film in the slightest. As it stands, the film is completely fine with its own story, despite the fact that it

doesn't have Doomsday-Jimmy, Bizarro world, OR the suicide intervention.

I'd completely forgotten about it until just now when it was brought up.

I don't really think so. I mean, that scene is wonderful (it's my favorite part of the book and one of my favorite scenes in any comic, ever), but it honestly had nothing to do with the rest of the plot that they were focusing on. I'd have rather had it in there, but it didn't break the film in the slightest. As it stands, the film is completely fine with its own story, despite the fact that it

Well, looking at it from that perspective:

Why did we need the scene about Kandor? It felt like it was just a plot device. I loved that scene, but the bit with Kandor really went nowhere.

He has to look at her chest, it's the only way he can do a chest x-ray. The music, I'll agree, there was nothing stand out in the music, it did it's job, nothing more, nothing less.

I quite liked the Samson scenes, I thought they were a nice break from the serious tone of the film.

Also, I will say, the main thing that sold me on All Star was Frank Quitely first, Morrison second. The artwork is just stunning to me.

And he had nothing to do with the adaptation, if you want to blame someone, blame the writer, Dwayne McDuffie.

O Samson was fun and I liked that he was voiced by John DiMaggio with his Aquaman voice, but if he was supposed to be comic relief, then either he wasn't funny enough or the story he was contrasting with wasn't serious enough.

Odd that you say you liked All-Star Superman for the art first and the writing second, because that's exactly why I disliked it. I don't like Quitely's art at all, but it was slightly more tolerable when adapted to screen since the characters didn't have fifty needless lines on their faces.

Also, maybe Superman did need to look at her chest in order to see her heart, but he should at least have been animated in such a way that it didn't look like he was just looking at her tits.

Also, a general comment about the film: If you don't like the Silver Age, even though it's through the filter of the modern age, don't bother.

--

Also, there's not a way to get around that, LL.

This is how anatomy works:

Boobs heart Boobs

No matter what way you're looking at the heart, you're gonna be looking at the tits.

Well, looking at it from that perspective:

Why did we need the scene about Kandor? It felt like it was just a plot device. I loved that scene, but the bit with Kandor really went nowhere.

I thought the same thing.

It was really just a device to get Superman off-planet for a while. Still, because of that, it still related to the whole thing with Superman and the other two Kryptonians, so it had some semblance of purpose. Also, it was part of Superman "getting his affairs in order" before he died.

O Samson was fun and I liked that he was voiced by John DiMaggio with his Aquaman voice, but if he was supposed to be comic relief, then either he wasn't funny enough or the story he was contrasting with wasn't serious enough.

Odd that you say you liked All-Star Superman for the art first and the writing second, because that's exactly why I disliked it. I don't like Quitely's art at all, but it was slightly more tolerable when adapted to screen since the characters didn't have fifty needless lines on their faces.

Also, maybe Superman did need to look at her chest in order to see her heart, but he should at least have been animated in such a way that it didn't look like he was just looking at her tits.

Well, they were trying to have several things going on at once with that, and if you didn't find it funny, that's fair, each to their own.

Quitely is an artist who people are divided on, some people love his style of art, and some people down right hate it. The film does look slightly different from how his art looked in the book, but that's a good thing, as I feel the Ed McGuinness art from Public Enemies really just took away from my enjoyment, as it was so weird looking. Again, my opinion.

And in context of that scene:

She just fell about 20 stories, and looks to be dying, I don't think Superman was thinking about checking her out then. Also, Superman could just as easily went right past the skin to her anatomy, as he only has eyes for one woman. Lois.

I thought the same thing.

It was really just a device to get Superman off-planet for a while. Still, because of that, it still related to the whole thing with Superman and the other two Kryptonians, so it had some semblance of purpose. Also, it was part of Superman "getting his affairs in order" before he died.

Yes, that makes sense. Though, it felt a little rushed, seeing as he was back 30 seconds later, in film time. With no story to tell about his adventure. Which sucked.

Good advice. That's another reason I wasn't jazzing on it. Silver Age stuff is best in small doses for me, unless written as smartly as The New Frontier.

Which All-Star Superman was. They had different objectives though, which is where your dislike comes from I think.

That and Quitely's artwork and the flow the story. Yes.

The other two scenes you brought up aren't nearly on the same level of importance as the scene with Regan.

Also, to a later point raised about Kandor, the film clearly chooses at that point to adapt issue 9 rather than 10, which is much less important in comparison.

Quitely's art isn't great for the same reasons that a lot of others' art is. It's the way he frames the action and makes it feel powerful. The characters might look weird, but the way the art tells the story is what makes it all great in the end.

I disagree. Another thing I have against his art is that he over-renders his characters but all his settings are under-rendered and empty-looking. And that, unfortunately, did carry over into the animation style of the film.