The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

I just finished the Superman/Shazam short. That was really fun. Good fight scenes. Maybe because I'm becoming a fan of the Marvel family now, but I'd say this was the best short they've done, if not just behind the Spectre short.

Yeah that's quite a good short/episode. There's something that prevents me from liking the Spectre short though that I need resolved by someone who knows more about the character: Is he the kind of hero who would bypass a police investigation and kill suspects in doing so? 'Cause that's pretty fucking douchey, if you ask me.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished the Superman/Shazam short. That was really fun. Good fight scenes. Maybe because I'm becoming a fan of the Marvel family now, but I'd say this was the best short they've done, if not just behind the Spectre short.

Yeah that's quite a good short/episode. There's something that prevents me from liking the Spectre short though that I need resolved by someone who knows more about the character: Is he the kind of hero who would bypass a police investigation and kill suspects in doing so? 'Cause that's pretty fucking douchey, if you ask me.

He's not as much a hero, as he is God's vengeance and fury, if I remember correctly. So, he wouldn't really care about human justice, just passing God's wrath.

Knightwing: You preferred the GA short? I found that one easily the weakest of the bunch, with a poor story, and just not being entertaining to me. Why do you like it?

He's not as much a hero, as he is God's vengeance and fury, if I remember correctly. So, he wouldn't really care about human justice, just passing God's wrath.

Alright. Then I dislike the Spectre but won't hold that aspect of his personality against the short, which was well animated and had a nice 70s flavor to it.

Yeah, the Spectre isn't exactly a superhero; he used to be a hero when he was with the JSA, but now he basically just gives villains what they actually deserve, without any mercy whatsover.

Knightwing: You preferred the GA short? I found that one easily the weakest of the bunch, with a poor story, and just not being entertaining to me. Why do you like it?

I really enjoyed it. Lots of fun, clever action, and a story that was plenty good enough for the extremely short timespan. I liked the others a lot, too, but GA was my favorite.

Come to think of it, GA is the only primarily action story; the others were either 50/50 story/action (Super/Shazam) or 80/20 story/action (Spectre and Jonah Hex). I think that in that short timespan, the story needs to completely blow my mind, or it's just "there" for me. Not quite enough time for me to get emotionally invested in a normal story of that length. An action story, though, can keep me happy the whole way through, just as long as the story is good enough to keep it all going. Besides, it's fun to see Green Arrow's arrows actually HIT people and MAKE THEM BLEED.

Also,

COUNT VERTIGO.

:D

I found the action in GA to be dull, and the voice acting, outside of Vertigo to be pretty damn bland. But, I agree the story only has so little time to grab you, it really needs to do something special. Which I felt JH and Spectre did in their short time frames, and although not action heavy, the action sequences in those surpassed GA for me.

But that's my opinion.

It's fine. I mean, I only barely put GA above the rest, so it's not like it was a massive difference or anything. And I definitely liked all of them.

No, it's fine that you like Green Arrow better than the rest. I'm just saying, I can see your point about wanting a more action orientated product in the short time frame. I just came out of the GA short personally asking myself if that was it. Seeing as I'd went through about 10 trades of the Judd Winnick GA run last year.

I would agree that generally they all are good, however, I disagree on that one being the best of a relatively solid bunch.

Since Knightwing did his rankings of the DC Showcase shorts, here are mine as well as my rankings for the DC Universe Original Animated movies rankings.

DC Showcase

1. Jonah Hex 10/10

2. Captain Marvel 8/10

3. The Spectre 7/10

4. Green Arrow 6/10

DC Universe Original Animated Movies

1. Wonder Woman 10/10

2. Batman: Under the Red Hood 10/10

3. Justice League: New Frontier 8/10

4. Batman: Gotham Knight 7/10

5. Green Lantern: First Flight 6/10

6. Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths 5/10

7. All-Star Superman 4/10

8. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies 4/10

9. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse 4/10

10. Superman Doomsday 2/10

So, Arissa will have a story, Sinestro will have a story, Killowog will likely get a story and so will Hal, and of course, possibly Abin Sur.

I think it'll be alright, but it depends who the big villain is, if they want me to care about the story being split into six parts they'd need to pick/make up someone good, as they can't do Sinestro's turn again.

It looked a lot like the first one.

Two things to post here, one the trailer for Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, looks really good, it may be overshadowed by the live action film or it may get more attention, don't know yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Two; I just watched All-Star Superman and I just have to say I was really impressed with it. Ever since Superman: Doomsday pretty much bombed critically it seems like the producers of the DC Animated Films have been trying to stay away from Superman solo film, but this time I'm glad they didn't. The animation is terrific and is honored even more by the amazing voice acting. The thing I was most impressed with and what makes me want to read the novel is the way the story really seems to capture Superman's world and how he really feels about things, of course the media of film also amplifies the feeling with the incredible score done in this film(and it really does amplify the emotions). I'm really hoping that any future Superman film is able to capture the human side of Superman like this film did.

Now I have the film on order as a DVD, but next month I should be able to pick up a Blu-Ray player and get the Blu-Ray version, this version adds a commentary, which I believe includes the late Dwayne McDuffie, so it'll be nice to hear his thoughts on his final film(I believe this is the final film that he wrote)

Two things to post here, one the trailer for Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, looks really good, it may be overshadowed by the live action film or it may get more attention, don't know yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

In no way, can this overshadow a Ryan Reynold's film. No matter how good this film could be.

Two; I just watched All-Star Superman and I just have to say I was really impressed with it. Ever since Superman: Doomsday pretty much bombed critically it seems like the producers of the DC Animated Films have been trying to stay away from Superman solo film, but this time I'm glad they didn't.

I don't think they really care about criticial success as much as they do commercial, and staying away from Superman solo films. Batman has only had one more than him, and his first was a mini series of films. I don't think this was shying away from doing a Superman film as much as it was them looking for a story they wanted to make into a feature.

Now I have the film on order as a DVD, but next month I should be able to pick up a Blu-Ray player and get the Blu-Ray version, this version adds a commentary, which I believe includes the late Dwayne McDuffie, so it'll be nice to hear his thoughts on his final film(I believe this is the final film that he wrote)

Sadly, due to his recent passing, I think the commentary track is just Grant Morrison and Bruce Timm. Though, I could be wrong on that front.

the media of film also amplifies the feeling with the incredible score done in this film

:blink: are you sure you and I watched the same film?

Lol, yea I think so, I don't know why I really just enjoyed the score, it wasn't as great as Danny Elfman score to Batman or Spider-Man, but it fit well. I haven't read the book like you did, so you probably had your own feature in your head and like most it didn't capture the feeling you felt from the book(like how WB screwed over Queen of the Damned), but I thought it was a good film and was impressed.

Sadly, due to his recent passing, I think the commentary track is just Grant Morrison and Bruce Timm. Though, I could be wrong on that front.

Yeah, it only has Timm and Morrison, though that wouldn't be because of Mcduffie's death. Unless they were planning on recording the commentary and printing all the DVDs literally the day before they went on sale.

It's too bad they didn't have a separate track for the original creator and the animation crew, like they did for The New Frontier. Then Mcduffie might've gotten on.

the media of film also amplifies the feeling with the incredible score done in this film

:blink: are you sure you and I watched the same film?

Lol, yea I think so, I don't know why I really just enjoyed the score, it wasn't as great as Danny Elfman score to Batman or Spider-Man, but it fit well. I haven't read the book like you did, so you probably had your own feature in your head and like most it didn't capture the feeling you felt from the book(like how WB screwed over Queen of the Damned), but I thought it was a good film and was impressed.

Actually it did capture the feelings I got from the book. Though I'm not a fan of the book or the movie (I might give it a second chance), I do think it was a very faithful adaptation of the source material, all things considered.

Apparently this film will go the Superman: Brainiac Attacks route, not in terms of quality, but by nature of the fact that it will lift its animation style from a previous continuity but not actually be in that continuity (ex. Arisia predates Hal Jordan as a member of the Corps in "First Flight" but here is a rookie while Hal is a veteran).