The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

Batman Year One

Can't really spoil this story but I don't really need to, it's the exact same story as the comic. The action is smooth and anime-orientated, I wasn't a huge fan of the cgi they used on the vehicles but otherwise this was pretty awesome. Cranston as Gordon was brilliant, I was initially not crazy about the Batman voice because it lacked a lot of the warmth of some of the more noted versions but then at this stage Batman would be taking himself extremely seriously. It fit with the tone of the book.

As an adaptation of a great story I can't fault it, some fans who are used to the more modern spectacular Batman might find the tone a little low-key, especially the ending but in my mind it's always been one of the most significant moments in Batman's history and it's right that it ends there.

I'm talking about Gordon learning to trust Batman.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's kinda weird. Found this interesting, though:

"The only person who had any trouble at all was Michael," said Timm, "but only because he was used to playing the Wally West version of the Flash, this is actually the Barry Allen version of the Flash. He would do a line and say, 'Oh, no, that sounds too much like Wally. I'm going to make him sound more like a grown-up.'"

So it's basically Rosenbaum playing a grown-up version of the same Flash. I like that.

So the DC removal of Wally now extends to stories he was actually in? You've got Rosenbaum, the Flash in the original story was Wally, there's literally no reason to make it Barry this time unless they're really obsessed with fitting it in with the current Justice League. Is Aquaman not going to be the bearded guy with the hook hand?

I don't mind changes in telling some stories but I don't like what DC's doing to Wally West. Hopefully ten years from now someone from my generation will come in and Wally will be the Flash again and they can kick Barry to the curb to do nothing.

So the DC removal of Wally now extends to stories he was actually in? You've got Rosenbaum, the Flash in the original story was Wally, there's literally no reason to make it Barry this time unless they're really obsessed with fitting it in with the current Justice League. Is Aquaman not going to be the bearded guy with the hook hand?

I don't mind changes in telling some stories but I don't like what DC's doing to Wally West. Hopefully ten years from now someone from my generation will come in and Wally will be the Flash again and they can kick Barry to the curb to do nothing.

Well, they've also got Hal Jordan and Cyborg. So it's not necessarily a Barry thing so much as an entire line change. Certainly seems like it's to tie in with the New 52, but it could also be that Timm and the rest like the new lineup and wanted to use it. They have mentioned a few times that they wanted to use Hal and Barry in Justice League stories more since they completely skipped them in the DCAU.

I didn't really like the trailer either, but I've noticed that the DCU movies really don't ever have great trailers.

Apart from featuring the Justice League, what did any of that have to do with the Tower of Babel storyline?

Vandal Savage sounds strange in that clip, and the laugh at the end sounded really forced.

I'll still watch it, I'll just say that I've lost a little bit of interest in seeing it now. Before I would have tried to see it right away, but now, I'll try and watch it when I can.

Apart from featuring the Justice League, what did any of that have to do with the Tower of Babel storyline?

If you look in your dictionary, this is in it next to "loosely based."

It's got to be on the edge of loosely based. There have been hundreds of stories about the Legion of Doom teaming up and taking on the league. But to my knowledge, there only been one story, about one Batman villain being able to take down the entire Justice League, by using Batman's own safety plans against him.

But there's "loosely based" and "completely separate story". This has more in common with a hundred other stories before Babel.

What Stavros said.

This actually reminds me of an old Super-Friends episode where the Legion of Doom found every one of the Justice League members' weaknesses and one-by-one hunted them all down and killed them (seriously). Then in the end, after the Legion started celebrating their victory, the JL showed up alive and well.

Lex: "WHAT? WE DESTROYED YOU!"

Superman: "That wasn't us! Those were our robotic duplicates!"

Pretty much the greatest episode of all time.

It baffles me how Young Justice, a weekly TV series, now has better animation than the DCU movies.

Consistent look and style. All of these films have to generally look different from each other. Which involves creating new universe looks from scratch. With Young Justice, once they have the main characters and sets down, it's easy to make it look great.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...