The DC Universe Original Animated Movie Thread

Guest DCAUFan1051

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm refreshing the comic news sites like a madman right now because if what I'm hearing from San Diego is correct, Bruce Timm announced that not only are they producing a sequel to Green Lantern: First Flight, not only are they doing Batman: Year One, but they're also making an animated adaptation of ALL STAR SUPERMAN.

I'm refreshing the comic news sites like a madman right now because if what I'm hearing from San Diego is correct, Bruce Timm announced that not only are they producing a sequel to Green Lantern: First Flight, not only are they doing Batman: Year One, but they're also making an animated adaptation of ALL STAR SUPERMAN.

Wow, Green Lantern wasn't even that good. I mean it was not bad, but it wasn't great either. Otherwise:

Yay.

Wow, Green Lantern wasn't even that good. I mean it was not bad, but it wasn't great either. Otherwise:

Yay.

I actually really liked Green Lantern. It's my second favorite after Wonder Woman. But is it really a sequel? I thought they were just making a movie about the Core's origins?

Yay.

I actually really liked Green Lantern. It's my second favorite after Wonder Woman. But is it really a sequel? I thought they were just making a movie about the Core's origins?

Well, if they make the second one the Sinestro Corps war, then I'll like the first one a lot more. I would have loved it, if it was based on Secret Origin, which was a great origin story for Hal, but the film they gave us, just threw too much at once.

Also, isn't DiDido trying to push DCU movie team to make a movie on Sinestro Corps War?

Hm... mayhaps we'll find out more at SDCC.

Thought I'd also share this: supergirl's pal posted this on the Toonzone forums back in April 5th.

There is an online survey that is being sent to certain people about animated movies that asks for feedback about potential storylines for future (post-Red Hood) DC Animated movies and shorts.

Superman: The Lost City of Krypton: Superman learns of an evil robotic artificial intelligence called Brainiac, who travels the universe, miniaturizing whole alien cities, including their citizens, which he keeps in bottles for study. When Brainiac threatens Earth, Superman has no choice but to hunt him down, only to discover that among the bottled cities in the robot's possession is Kandor from his homeworld of Krypton. Somehow the Man of Steel has to figure out how to defeat this superpowerful A.I., while protecting this last vestige of Kryptonian society. From Geoff Johns' popular comic series. Rated PG-13

Batman: Spawn of the Demon: When eco-terrorist Ra's Al Ghul sets out to destroy most of the world's population, it's up to Batman to stop him. Fortunately the Dark Knight finds an unexpected ally in Ra's daughter Talia, who can no longer tolerate her father's madness. Together Batman and Talia jet to some of the most exotic spots on the planet, battling Deadshot, Lady Shiva, and the League of Assassins, in a desperate race to stop Ra's before it's too late. Rated PG-13

Possible Short features under "DC Showcase"

THE SPECTRE The Spectre is vengeance incarnate, and when a duo of murderers incur his wrath, they find that there are far worse punishments than simply getting caught. Rated PG-13

CATWOMAN When Catwoman comes to the rescue of a cat being shot at by thugs, a ribbon tied to the cat's collar becomes a clue that leads her into Gotham's salacious underworld. There Catwoman uncovers an international slavery ring, which she has to bring down to save its victims, including the cat's owner. Written by famed Batman scribe Paul Dini. Rated PG-13.

LOBO Lobo, the grungiest, most self-centered interstellar mercenary this side of the Milky Way, has his hands full when he reluctantly accepts the assignment of delivering a baby to the royal family of a distant planet. He can't understand why forces are trying to stop him, until he completes his delivery and discovers that the baby is really an intergalactic assassin intent of destroying the royal king. Rated PG-13.

GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT What if Bruce Wayne had been born in Victorian Times? That's the question posed by "Gotham by Gaslight," which features a turn-of-the-century Batman trying to track down a Jack the Ripper killer on the foggy, cobblestone streets of Gotham City. Based on the acclaimed graphic novel. Rated PG-13.

GREEN ARROW While at the airport to pick up his girlfriend Black Canary, Green Arrow comes head-to-head with some of his greatest enemies who are intent on assassinating a newly arrived young princess from America. Rated PG-13.

BOOSTER GOLD/BLUE BEETLE In a parody of a buddy cop movie, Booster Gold and Blue Beetle are on surveillance duty, watching the apartment building of a diabolical scientist. When they inadvertently make their presence known, the scientist activates the weapon he's been hiding, a giant doomsday robot, which is set to go off like a ticking bomb unless our heroes can figure out a way to stop it. Rated PG-13.

JONAH HEX The tough-as-nails bounty hunter Jonah Hex always gets his man - until someone else gets to him first - in this case a murderous madam who wants to steal more than just his bounty from Jonah Hex. Based on a story from the award-winning Jonah Hex comic series. Rated PG-13.

SUPERMAN/SHAZAM As Clark Kent interviews street kid Billy Batson, he realizes that the feisty kid has a lot of heart. When Billy is chosen by an ancient wizard to turn into the hero Captain Marvel just by invoking the word, "Shazam!" Billy's powers come none-too-soon, because he also discovers that he's being pursued by a centuries' old, murderous villain, Black Adam, who is out to destroy Captain Marvel and is so powerful, not even Superman can stop him. Rated PG-13.

The DC Showcase animated shorts included on future DC Universe direct-to-DVD animated releases may be 10-15 minutes in length. However, extended versions of the animated shorts you read about earlier may be released as a collection on DVD for $12.99.

Considering how they were right about the Spectre, Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, and Superman/Shazam, I'd say this is legit. In that case, I would really really like to see that Catwoman and Gotham By Gaslight short.

Source.

ALL STAR SUPERMAN you say?

I have the first half of it, awesome comic, but will the Silver-Age camp translate well? That's going to need perfect voice casting to sell.

No, see, I disagree. It's not the silver-age stuff that's an issue; it's the unorthodox storytelling style. The comic is written in such a way that the reader is left without certain bits of information; I'm not sure that'll really translate well for the mass audience. They might have to shift it up a bit.

Last night was the premiere of Batman: Under the Red Hood in Ballroom 20 at San Diego Comic-Con 2010. Fellow writer Jason Barr and I caught the tail end of the panel discussion after the first showing of the film and some exciting news was revealed. Producer Bruce Timm announced that the iconic Batman: Year One storyline by Frank Miller and artist David Mazzucchelli will be made into a feature-length animated film in the near future. Additionally, it was announced that Superman/Batman: Apocalypse will be released in September of this year. Some of you rabid fans might yawn at this news as it has been rumored or announced before. However, here is one to knock you off your chair: All Star Superman, the beloved storyline by Grant Morrison with artist Frank Quitely, will also be made into an animated film.

Source

Additionally, Dwayne McDuffie announced on his Facebook page that he would be working on All Star Superman.

Additionally, Dwayne McDuffie announced on his Facebook page that he would be working on All Star Superman.

How do you kill my interest in this? Dwayne McDuffie.

Say what you will about McDuffie's comic writing but his animation work has been mostly impeccable.

JL: Crisis on two Earths was average at best. It was saved by James Woods. If they get James Woods to be Lex Luthor, then I will be happy.

Yeah, and JLU was just awful. [/sarcasm]

Not to mention making a kids show like Ben 10 into something that is, at the worst of times, utterly watchable. Oh, and Starcrossed. Let's not forget he wrote Starcrossed. I'm just saying that all writers have hiccups but if your work has been good more often than bad, then I'm more willing to believe that any future work is going to be, well, good.

Yeah, and JLU was just awful. [/sarcasm]

Notice how I didn't mention JLU, because that was a great show, and it wasn't the point I was bringing up, the point I was making is that he has made another movie in this line before, and it was pretty fucking bland. ;)

Not to mention making a kids show like Ben 10 into something that is, at the worst of times, utterly watchable. Oh, and Starcrossed. Let's not forget he wrote Starcrossed. I'm just saying that all writers have hiccups but if your work has been good more often than bad, then I'm more willing to believe that any future work is going to be, well, good.

I'll give you that, as Judd Winick did actually not fuck up under the red hood, like I expected him to.

If they can't get the original people to write the adaptations, it would work out a lot better. Examples Public Enemies and UTRH, PE was written by Stan Berkowitz, another JLU writer, and it was shit, UTRH was written by Winick, and it was quite good.

I thought Crisis and Public Enemies were both at worst, pretty decent. Crisis was good fun, with great action, and Public Enemies was shallow, admittedly, but so was the source material. The source material we're talking about is fucking All-Star Superman, it can't be bad.

I thought Crisis and Public Enemies were both at worst, pretty decent. Crisis was good fun, with great action, and Public Enemies was shallow, admittedly, but so was the source material. The source material we're talking about is fucking All-Star Superman, it can't be bad.

True. I'm calling that the Bizarro issue(s) will be taken out though.

True. I'm calling that the Bizarro issue(s) will be taken out though.

Probably, but if they remove any of the issue where Clark goes to interview Luthor in prison I'll be most annoyed.