Nickelback

Guest TFG1Mike

Guest DCAUFan1051

Even though I know this will put me on the shit list of a few of the other forumites I'm creating this thread for 2 reasons:

#1 Nickelback is one of the best Rock Band's in the last nine years and I've always been a fan.

#2 Nickelback will be interviewed on Rockline Radio this monday night 2/23/09 11:30PM EST They'll be talking about the new CD: Dark Horse

Rockline Radio

Even though there have been a ton of songs from all the albums that radio has completely overplayed there are other songs on each album that were good and never got any radio play. One I can think of off the top of my head is Hangnail from Silver Side Up, as well as Throw Yourself Away, Do This Anymore, and See You At The Show from The Long Road. If anyone wants to listen tomorrow night please do..... if you're not awake and still want to hear it I'll have an mp3 of it hopefully. PLEASE NO ONE KILL ME for starting the thread. :D Below is the written article from RockLine Radio:

It’s the same old song and Nickelback must be feeling as if they’ll explode if they hear it one more time. The chorus goes something like this, “You’re too melodic for your own good, crank it up a bit if you would, we need a target to spew our hate, even if millions upon millions think you’re great”. Actually, chances are the guys learned how to turn off that particular song years ago. No doubt much of the vitriol is the result of one of the most basic human emotions. Maestro, cue the green horns of jealousy, which so often surround success. Fact is that in 2009 a Rock band going platinum, with sales of a million albums, is as rare as Republican voting for a tax hike. But for Nickelback it seems to be as easy as drawing another breath. We say seems to be, because we know how much effort is involved creating their music. If it were truly easy, anyone could do it and it’s as obvious as the bad economy that isn’t the case. Honestly, we don’t understand what the fuss is about. Engaging and thoroughly professional, sparing no expense for pyro and effects, exploding much of what surrounds them, keeping magnesium manufacturers in business, the band is rock solid in concert, delivering a spirited show, making no excuses for the music they create. And why should they? A steady diet of scream-sing, two hundred-twenty beats a minute Rock exacts a toll after awhile. Nickelback serves as a welcome counterbalance, providing a wide ranging, colorful spectrum of songs from the poignant “If Everyone Cared”, to the incendiary “Next Go Round” from their new album “Dark Horse”. Without reservation, tally us with the millions who enjoy their offerings; this Canadian band is a full spectrum experience. We’re connecting with the band in Nashville where they’ve been ensconced in a rehearsal space working on their studio tans, preparing for an extensive tour with thirty-one shows in ninety days for their North American fans, followed by a half-dozen shows for audiences in the UK. Find out when they’re “Back” in your area at Nickelback.com and their MySpace.

Earlier in this missive we mentioned how much effort Nickelback puts into their craft. With “Dark Horse”, their sixth album, things must have been dramatically ramped up as Chad and Mike Kroeger, Ryan Peake and Daniel Adair chose to work with legendary producer Mutt Lange, known for his individualistic, stellar work with AC/DC, Foreigner, Def Leppard, fellow Canadian Bryan Adams and former spouse, Shania Twain. In addition to creating layered, textured, sonic soundscapes of epic magnitude, Lange is also known as a meticulous taskmaster, requiring many weeks, often transitioning into months, occasionally becoming years to achieve his desired results. Lange’s meticulous masterpiece with Def Leppard on their “Hysteria” album will stand as a monument to the recording process for years to come. Time will be the honored judge for “Dark Horse”, determining its place in the Rock pantheon. The possibility for greatness certainly exists with the convergence of production, melody driven music and Chad’s acerbic lyrical wit and humor, which approaches, but never quite crosses, the boundaries of taste and acceptability. Well, most of the time. But with Nickelback, there will always be those who disagree, as to some it’s the same old song.

Decide for yourself and join us for Nickelback on our next ROCKLINE!

NB-TheState.jpg

NB-SilverSideUp.jpg

NB-TheLongRoad.jpg

NB-AllTheRightReasons.jpg

NB-DarkHorse.jpg

Popularity/success does not neccessarily equate to greatness. And whilst I, a former student DJ, can appreciate that the playlist policies of radio stations and the over-playing of certain songs can lead to undue hatred through constant repetition, I don't think Nickelback are all that good. I will say, for the sake of balance as this thread was started with obvious love, that I don't hate their singles and I really rather liked the song Kroeger & Josey Scott did for Spider-Man. But I find their success unwarranted, even if I don't begrudge them it.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Popularity/success does not neccessarily equate to greatness. And whilst I, a former student DJ, can appreciate that the playlist policies of radio stations and the over-playing of certain songs can lead to undue hatred through constant repetition, I don't think Nickelback are all that good. I will say, for the sake of balance as this thread was started with obvious love, that I don't hate their singles and I really rather liked the song Kroeger & Josey Scott did for Spider-Man. But I find their success unwarranted, even if I don't begrudge them it.

While I can agree with you Ian, if you look at a majority of mainstream rockbands from 2000-2009 there are only a few that have lasted as long as NB. Am I saying they're the greatest EVER hell no. But over the past nine years out of the music I listen to I can count maybe 15 mainstream rockbands that have last as long as Nickelback has. Normally when I know of new Nickelback coming out sure I'll give it a listen on iTunes (as I refuse to listen to my local radio stations for the overplay reason.) but I usually go into a new Nickelback album looking at tracks I think would make a great single or next big hit for them. In the grand scheme does my opinion count for shit? Well NO! but when I look at their albums there are songs that I think are stellar and deserved a single. For example when I first heard the first single off of Dark Horse Gotta Be Somebody.... I was very skeptical and had to do several double takes as to whether it was really NB. However, once I heard it a few times I couldn't ignore the fact that they had created another great single that will be known amongst the others like: How You Remind Me, Someday, and Photograph. It's actually kind of hillarious that a few of their very first "make me famous" songs aren't played that much anymore in mainstream rock. Songs like: Leader Of Men, Breathe, and Old Enough which were the three singles from their Debut Album The State. I did not start this thread to argue their overall goodness or whether they just suck. Every album they've released I've only disliked maybe one or two songs from it. When I was still living in Massachusetts from 2001-2002 that's when I found them it was at the time of the Nickelback/Creed Music War and although I like some of Creed's songs I could listen to NB 24/7. As soon as I heard Cowboy Hat from The State I knew I wanted to see them in concert. Four years later in 2006 with the wild success of All The Right Reasons I finally got to see them here in Louisville. It was the best concert I've ever been to, that said my concert going expreience has been few and far between. And after three long years they've returned with Dark Horse. I wondered throughout that time where they could go from All The Right Reasons and they didn't disappoint. Whether they're success is deserved or not they are a Rock mainstay and hopefully they'll continue to be. They're gonna be in Lexington KY this coming Friday night and unfortunately I can't go :cry: but hopefully they'll come to Louisville eventually again.

there are 2 songs by them that are decent ("Old Enough", and "Leader Of Men") but other than that I don't dig anything else that they have done, and they haven't done anything innovative with their craft to be considered one of the best rock bands ever. they are just a radio rock band, and nothing more. I don't begrudge their success or anything, but they have basically been writing the same songs over and over again.

I would honestly punch Chad Kroeger in the mouth if I saw him on the street. Fuck this band for completely bastardizing the art of music.

I say that because these douches have no artistic integrity. No vision. They're in it for money. They're the famous equivalent of that douchebag that gets his guitar, and sits out under a tree to get women. They're not artists, they're a joke.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I would honestly punch Chad Kroeger in the mouth if I saw him on the street. Fuck this band for completely bastardizing the art of music.

I say that because these douches have no artistic integrity. No vision. They're in it for money. They're the famous equivalent of that douchebag that gets his guitar, and sits out under a tree to get women. They're not artists, they're a joke.

so basically you think they're the William Hung of Rock? there's someone with as you put it "no artistic integrity"

so basically you think they're the William Hung of Rock? there's someone with as you put it "no artistic integrity"

No, see, he's doing it for the love of music. He's talentless, but he does love music. Nickelback has straight up admitted to not writing very progressive stuff because it sells.

Guest DCAUFan1051
They scream "generic, uninspired radio music" more than any band I think I've ever heard. I cannot, nor will I ever, understand their massive popularity.

I guess I'm a generic Rock music lover! :D :laugh: and the funniest thing about that statement James is that surprisingly when I have tuned into my local rock radio station hardly any of their songs gets airplay whether it be new or old stuff.

but in all seriousness to each their own. As I stated before I started the thread to inform everyone of the upcoming interview on Rockline Radio. The reason I did that was because as far as I know there haven't been many interviews with them about their music/albums other then the 5-10 min spot on the Tonight Show or Regis and Kelly.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Nickelback has straight up admitted to not writing very progressive stuff because it sells.

The songs may sound the same but to anyone who heard the previous album to the new one the sound is very different then anything they've ever done. They even said on a VH-1.com interview that they were going for a different feel on Dark Horse, but at the same time be the same band that the fans love.

They scream "generic, uninspired radio music" more than any band I think I've ever heard. I cannot, nor will I ever, understand their massive popularity.

I guess I'm a generic Rock music lover! :D :laugh: and the funniest thing about that statement James is that surprisingly when I have tuned into my local rock radio station hardly any of their songs gets airplay whether it be new or old stuff.

They are a mainstay on the local rock station here. Atlanta seems to be a bastion for Nickelback fans for some delusional reason.

They are a mainstay on the local rock station here. Atlanta seems to be a bastion for Nickelback fans for some delusional reason.

Inbreeding, I mean, it's the South.

Inbreeding, I mean, it's the South.

Don't make me come up there and give you a stern talking-to.

I like their early stuff, Leader of Men, Help Me, even a little bit of the Silver Side Up album. They have been stagnant ever since.

The overplay problem with them on the radio is worse here in Canada, why? CanCon. A rule that states 35% of all songs played must be Canadian in origin, while this leads to exposure of other Canadian bands that are good, it also means that a lot of stations fill it out with a lot of Nickelback because it is commercially viable.

One thing I will give Chad Kroeger though is that he set up 604 Records. Which has signed, among others, Theory of a Deadman, Marianas Trench, Thornley and Tin Foil Phoenix. I honestly think that makes more good than bad to have come from Chad Kroeger

The overplay problem with them on the radio is worse here in Canada, why? CanCon. A rule that states 35% of all songs played must be Canadian in origin, while this leads to exposure of other Canadian bands that are good, it also means that a lot of stations fill it out with a lot of Nickelback because it is commercially viable.

And yet, when I lived in Banff over Winter 03-Spring 04, I never once heard Hot Hot Heat on the radio despite them having some UK success and being Canadian.

Guest DCAUFan1051
One thing I will give Chad Kroeger though is that he set up 604 Records. Which has signed, among others, Theory of a Deadman, Marianas Trench, Thornley and Tin Foil Phoenix. I honestly think that makes more good than bad to have come from Chad Kroeger

I am a huge fan of Theory Of A Deadman as well as Nickelback..... most people say Theory sounds just like NB but that is not the exact truth... while it is the same style somewhat they have a completely different sound I think. I got to see Theory in 2003 right after they released their first album and they put on a good show. Plus Tyler Conolly the lead singer was a background guitarist in the Hero video with Kroeger & Scott....... and Theory had a song on the first Spidey soundtrack as well... it was their first single Invisible Man. Here are their albums:

2002:

Theory-Theory.jpg

2005:

Theory-Gasoline.jpg

2008:

Theory-ScarsSouvenirs.jpg