Episode 304

RSS

Without batting an eyelash, most comic book readers will decry the 1990s - claiming the decade to be a creative cesspool for the industry. However, in this episode of Earth-2.net: The Show, Des and Mike do the exact opposite; they're here to tell you all about the greatness that came out of the decade, and why we should be thankful for the 10-year span. [ 1:51:14 || 51.3 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_304.mp3

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random thing, but for the next one, could you make it you two, Dan and Dubs, pretty much as many people as you can get into the room who know a background of comics.

Good idea, but:

01. Coordinating two schedules is hard enough, especially when you consider time zones.

02. Having more than three people on a show can turn it into a mess, what with people talking over one another.

03. Along those same lines, it makes editing the program that much harder for me.

Random thing, but for the next one, could you make it you two, Dan and Dubs, pretty much as many people as you can get into the room who know a background of comics.

Good idea, but:

01. Coordinating two schedules is hard enough, especially when you consider time zones.

02. Having more than three people on a show can turn it into a mess, what with people talking over one another.

03. Along those same lines, it makes editing the program that much harder for me.

Its cool that you can pick and choose who you go with, and its certainly true that some podcasts that go up to three or four people get a little messy unless they do it on a regular basis. I'd rather keep the output regular and cover more material.

That doesn't apply to the Batman movie reviews though, those are Earth-2 specials.

Guest DCAUFan1051

iTunes keeps doing the connection timed out bullshit when trying to frownload this lol Episode 304 killt my iTunes :laugh:

EDIT oops there it goes sorry lol I tried it 4 times then it went through. ugh I hate grocery shopping I'm concentrating on 3 things at once lol

Great lists guys. Keep the "Mike and Des Talk About The Industry" episodes coming, they're excellent.

Here's my personal top 10 list of the best of comics in the 90s:

10. Green Goblin

9. Batman Adventures

8. Starman

7. JLA

6. Spider-Man 2099

5. Amazing Spider-Man #400

4. Kingdom Come

3. Marvels

2. Mark Bagley

1. 90s Superhero Cartoons

Hooray a new episode of Des and Mike shoot the shit.

Anyway, going to listen later tonight.

Dude, I probably know less about comics than a good 90% of the people that post here. I can review the things, but beyond that, I'm far from qualified to talk on the subject.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Hooray a new episode of Des and Mike shoot the shit.

Anyway, going to listen later tonight.

Dude, I probably know less about comics than a good 90% of the people that post here. I can review the things, but beyond that, I'm far from qualified to talk on the subject.

I'm worse off then you DW I know less then everyone and I compare crap to the cartoons that some comics spawned.

Good call by Yoda, the Life of Reilly is a superb article, practically a book in its own right really. I had a lot of affection for Ben and always though it was a terrible waste to make him the sacrificial lamb at the end of the Clone Sage. I know why they felt they had to do it but I thought Ben had a lot of stories left in him.

On my list-

Sandman. Technically started in 1989 but it was being published up until '96 and thats when it had most of its impact. Sandman was outselling Superman by the end, it had its own unique audience who were largely uninitiated to comics and over half of whom were women. When Vertigo was formed in '93 Sandman became one if its core titles and the very first new book under the imprint was the Sandman spinoff Death: The High Cost of Living. I personally know people who have never read another comic but they've read Sandman right through, and they did so before I even got back into collecting.

The return of the JSA- DC comics big advantage over Marvel is its legacy heroes, and nothing exemplifies this quality more than the JSA. Bringing them back introduced a whole lineage of heroes as well as honouring the pre-crisis heroes and recreating them for the modern era.

Blade- I know Yoda mentioned it but I can't recall if it actually made his list. Blade was the birth of Marvel's incredibly successful line of films, and brought life the overall concept of translating comics to the big screen and doing it well. Batman & Robin almost ruined it for everyone but I think since then every comics based film has at least been a serious attempt at recreating those characters on-screen (except LXG, the exception that proves the rule). 10 years later The Dark Knight and Iron Man are the biggest films of the year, and Blade is the reason why.

The Replacements- Yes the results weren't always perfect, but I respect Marvel and DC for attempting to breathe new life into their oldest characters by replacing them. Jean Paul Valley becoming Batman, Ben Reilly becoming Spider-man and the myriad replacements for the supposedly dead Superman, these were all innovative decisions that tried to shake up what had become tired formulas.

Though I can see us doing the 2000s come January 2010, I'm worried we won't have enough perspective. Think about it: 1990 was 19 years ago, and 1999 was 10 years ago. So we've had a lot of time to see what impact the decade had on comics. If we do the 2000s in January 2010, we're only looking back, at most, 10 years.

Could you guys do a talk about big events in comics and how you have all these tie-in books that have f-all to do with the main story, and then when you give up on buying the tie-ins one bloody tie-in has a major twist in the story which is talked about in the main story like you've been reading every god damn thing DC published for the past seven months as you read every issue of every fucking thing DC?

Sorry, when I do my round up of what I read this week in the comic thread that'll make more sense, but I would like a thing where you talk about tie-ins to big events and such.

Let me know if that made any sense.