Being Human

This is one of the best things on TV in a while.

Being Human is a BBC comedy/drama, which manages to mix both in the unusual sense of being very funny in places, and getting the drama spot on.

A werewolf, a vampire and a ghost share a house in Bristol, as they try to fit in more with the general population. It features one of the more unsettllingly mundane vampire baddies in a long time, and it's just generally superb.

It was originally shown as one of a number of pilots, and it was one that the BBC didn't care about making into a full series. They intended to make 'Phoo Action', a rather crap, but more mainstream-style show into a full series. Petitions from fans of the pilot later, they made this.

It's six episodes long, and has me more emotionally invested in the characters than anything else I've seen in ages. Trust me, torrent it or buy it when it comes out on DVD soon.

And Yoda? Remember who introduced you to 'Blink'. My track record is good on this shit.

No. Do not support this show. Do not watch it, I don't care how good it is. You know why? All exterior shots of the house in which the three main characters live were done about 30m from my house. A couple of days a week for MONTHS our tiny inaccessible maze of backstreets was cordoned off by cones so half the residents couldn't part there and then half a dozen giant trucks drove in. They suspended massive lights from cranes and shot well into the night. My bedroom window looked out onto all of it from the end of the street, its was all in all a massive headache.

Although I'll admit I've heard very good things about the show.

Eh, I don't know. I live in London, and you get that *all* the time. Just because I was on Oxford Street when the decision was made that my wife and I were getting divorced doesn't mean that I can't watch Oxford Street without thinking about it.

Repetition tends to dull those things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Darque Edge is absolutely right. This is a brilliant series and well worth taking the time to watch. Its internal mythology is great - pretty impressive for a show that's only six episodes long. I'm not counting the excellent pilot in that, as the Vampire mythology was changed between the pilot and series. Three impressive leads, outstanding supporting cast, smart, sharp writing and some great comic moments mixed with real pathos and horror.

I can't recommend this little show that could highly enough.

If nothing else, the curiosity factor (that this is a show that was made because fans campaigned for it to be made) is surely worth giving it a punt.

• 2 months later...
The BBC's clever 20-something show Being Human, about a vampire, a werewolf and a ghost who end up as roommates, is the latest British series to get an Americanized version. Syfy has ordered 13 episodes of the new series, which it plans to launch in the summer or fall of 2010 as a companion to its show Sanctuary (which also features a vampire and a werewolf).

Being Human debuted on the digital network BBC Three with six episodes and was popular enough that it got moved up to the larger BBC One. A second season of eight episodes is planned for early next year in Britain, and the show also airs in the U.S. on BBC America.

"It turned out great, as we can now do an American version," Syfy president Dave Howe told The Hollywood Reporter. "We've always been keen on vampires and werewolves, and we loved the originality of Being Human, the fact that the fantastical creatures in it are very young, accessible and charming."

Howe said the Syfy version will not just "slavishly replicate the British version."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/10/syfy-plans-an-american-ve.php

Can't wait to see how they fuck this up.

• 2 months later...