Transformers 3

JackFetch

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll be concise: It's better than 2 but worse than 1.

So somewhere between ok and eye-gougingly awful then.

Yeah, that's not exactly lavishing praise on it. 2 is, no exaggeration, one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

A few years back, I got into a conversation with my uncle about Transformers. Now, my uncle is a doctor; a highly intelligent and well-learned individual. So it surprises me when I mention Transformers, and this happens:

Uncle: "Ah, Transformers. I love that movie."

Me: "Um... people say that that movie is bad; y'know, cause the characters are stupid, and the plot is—"

Uncle: *shakes head frustratedly* "It's a fucking cartoon!"

That's kind of become my opinion on the TF series as a whole. It might not hold up under mature scrutiny, but that's entirely beside the point. They're supposed to be fun.

Now, Revenge of the Fallen wasn't even fun (forest battle aside), so I won't defend that one. But I kind of get tired of people acting like goddamn hipster snobs and using Transformers as a punching bag when it's purely meant to be mindless entertainment.

Would I like a Transformers film that's both fun and smart? Absolutely. But in the meantime, I can let myself relax and enjoy the fireworks. Hopefully without having to deal with people constantly pushing up their glasses and scoffing.

That's fine, if people enjoy it more power to them. It's a different deal for me. I don't judge everything by the same standards but I grew up reading intelligent Transformers stories in the Marvel UK comic, not watching the cartoon. I expect more.

And that's cool.

I really hope that the next TF director makes a genuinely great movie, and I don't begrudge anyone for seriously disliking the films. After I see this 3rd one, I very well might dislike it anyway. I just don't like it when people get ridiculous about it.

That's kind of become my opinion on the TF series as a whole. It might not hold up under mature scrutiny, but that's entirely beside the point. They're supposed to be fun.

Now, Revenge of the Fallen wasn't even fun (forest battle aside), so I won't defend that one. But I kind of get tired of people acting like goddamn hipster snobs and using Transformers as a punching bag when it's purely meant to be mindless entertainment.

As if "fun" and "smart" are mutually exclusive. By all means, have all the mindless action you want. But have something smarter than masturbation jokes and Bumblebee pissing oil on someone when robots aren't punching each other.

Just saw it.

I am vindicated in my prior comments.

80% of the dorky, adolescent humor is gone. There's still several out-of-place hammy characters that do nothing but provide exposition, but they're not nearly as big a focus as in the past two films. The humor is less offensively bad this time, too. There's no masturbation jokes, no oil/urine gags, no racist stereotype Autobot twins, and the words "my bad" do not escape Optimus's lips. A few of the jokes were actually genuinely funny, which was surprising to me, as I'm not sure I've ever honestly laughed in either of the prior two TF films.

Megan Fox's replacement is a thousand times better. While it's obvious that she was cast for her looks, her character is actually sweet and caring, rather than just pointless and slutty.

The action is still in-your-face with a billion metal parts colliding in mid-air, but it's also a bit more imaginative. There's some really great stuff in there. The tone of the action is very different as well. The entire latter half of the movie is basically just a war story. It's actually got somewhat of a G.I. Joe/Transformers vibe, which is really cool. Character deaths are a bit less arbitrary and have more weight. It's not as though anything will really tear out your heartstrings, but it works.

Now, despite all this, it is still, for all intents and purposes, a cartoon. It's not the Dark Knight of robotic science fiction movies. But it definitely holds a substantial bit more depth and emotional power than the other two. That's not saying much, but hey, it's at least good enough to let you genuinely enjoy the spectacle without feeling guilty.

I think this is seriously the first "good" Transformers film. I don't know that I'd call it "great." The effects and cinematography vary from "excellent" to "jaw-dropping," while the overall story varies from "decent" to "pretty good."

So yeah. It's good. I am happy.

Megan Fox's replacement is a thousand times better. While it's obvious that she was cast for her looks, her character is actually sweet and caring, rather than just pointless and slutty.

Pointless and slutty is a pretty good summation of Megan Fox.