Episode 49

RSS

I also thought that the Joker should have been more different than a haircut and a grittier edge to the voice. IT"S A DIFFERENT PERSON! That made no sense.

The whole point is that its supposed to be the original Joker returning. If a guy shows up looking and dressing a bit like the joker but clearly isn't him then Bruce Wayne isn't going to be shitting himself and he isn't going to try to get Terry to retire. Its the crux of the whole damn story. The film isn't called Batman Beyond: First Appearance Of The Guy Who Is A Bit Like The Joker.

Just because we don't actually see Tim's recovery doesn't mean it wasn't tough, in fact its implied that it was. He turned out alright in the end? If by that you mean that when he's 40-50 he's a fat family man repairing satellite dishes. That may be perfectly fine for him but there is decades of history we aren't seeing it still clear that it took its toll on him.

Most of all what the flashback story does is change Bruce, leading to him once again becoming a lone operator and subsequently his retirement without anyone to replace him. It sets up the whole Batman Beyond mythos.

Dark Knight Strikes Again was written after this film by the way.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole point is that its supposed to be the original Joker returning. If a guy shows up looking and dressing a bit like the joker but clearly isn't him then Bruce Wayne isn't going to be shitting himself and he isn't going to try to get Terry to retire. Its the crux of the whole damn story. The film isn't called Batman Beyond: First Appearance Of The Guy Who Is A Bit Like The Joker.

Just because we don't actually see Tim's recovery doesn't mean it wasn't tough, in fact its implied that it was. He turned out alright in the end? If by that you mean that when he's 40-50 he's a fat family man repairing satellite dishes. That may be perfectly fine for him but there is decades of history we aren't seeing it still clear that it took its toll on him.

My point is, they had the perfect set-up for a new Joker that would have had much more of a psychological impact on Bruce. The motivation was there. It was in fact a little bit of poetic justice in that the Tim Joker would be returning to get revenge on Batman for killing his "father."

The impact on Tim is lessened due to its "brushed-off" suggestion that he got better. This show nitpicks on the smallest of things quite often but I think I'm raising a really valid point on the wasted nature of this story here.

It seemed more like a decent two-part episode with a lot of filler than anything else.

The time I really thought Joker was a douche bag was when he hurt Ace. That was really unnecessary.

That was the only time I believed it was the Joker. A moment I really enjoyed.

I'm saying that if they aren't trying high action, then what are they trying for? If it was a psychological impact, which the Tim angle and Bruce's short gruffness (that's new!) over Joker leads me to believe, then I think they failed miserably.

See, I still think that the action in ROTJ was really great, and the development of Terry as the true Batman was something that the series was sorely missing. I think that Rebirth, RotJ, and Epilogue all come together in an epic "Batman Beyond Trilogy."

And BTW, The Dark Knight Strikes Again had to be the most disappointing and awkward comic-book sequel ever.

As someone who doesn't hold DKR in very high regard, I thought it lived up to it quite well.

You like being contradictory, eh? :)

I thought that DKR was a very deep and original look at Batman (as well as Superman to a degree), filled with tons of great psychological moments.

DKSA was a sex-filled thrillride that had Wonder Woman and Superman frakking through the skies and causing tidal waves that slaughtered an entire American navy fleet.

As someone who doesn't hold DKR in very high regard, I thought it lived up to it quite well.

You like being contradictory, eh? :)

I thought that DRK was a very deep and original look at Batman (as well as Superman to a degree), filled with tons of great psychological moments.

DKSA was a sex-filled thrillride that had Wonder Woman and Superman frakking through the skies and causing tidal waves that slaughtered an entire American navy fleet.

I think DKR is pretty good storywise but the art is assaulting to look at. Yuck. Miller at his worst.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WFP tried to tell each part that is censored in the rated version of the movie. You missed one, when Terry gets back to the wayne manor, he notices the place had been broken into. so he goes into the batcave to find bruce with a giant grin. everywhere in the batcave there was big purple HAs, in the rated version, in the uncut version the HAs are red (supposedly like blood).

Guest DCAUFan1051
WFP tried to tell each part that is censored in the rated version of the movie. You missed one, when Terry gets back to the wayne manor, he notices the place had been broken into. so he goes into the batcave to find bruce with a giant grin. everywhere in the batcave there was big purple HAs, in the rated version, in the uncut version the HAs are red (supposedly like blood).

while true I think the guys were going for the completely drastic changes and I think they did mention the comparison to the red Ha's with the multicolored Ha's when Terry's dad was killed in Rebirth.

• 4 weeks later...