Wolverine

Missy

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Sabretooth kills a cute little dog that thinks it has superpowers?

Yes. And then Miley Cyrus, now out for revenge, undergoes Weapon X treatment and becomes Lady Deathstryke.

I think we just wrote the best movie ever.

That hamster would fuck Wolverine up.

Guest DCAUFan1051

all these negative things being said about this film makes me think that it's a RedBox DVD rental just like the new Hulk was.... besides Iron Man I can't remember one marvel film this past year that I was super excited to go to a theater and see.

I loved Punisher: war zone.

Seconded. It's so insanely violent that it's funny.

Exactly. How great is a movie that every time someone blows up, it makes you laugh?

Perhaps we're using the word "great" more in terms of "fun." It's so ridiculous that it's basically detached from the real world (hence why we feel comfortable laughing).

I'll leave War Zone until I start my all-Punisher review over the summer. As for Wolverine, I've purposefully avoided the online version as I want to review the finished film after seeing it in a cinema. Having not watched an X-Men film in a while, I don't have any pressing expectations,

Just got back from Wolverine.

What a piece of fucking godawful shit. I mean, objectively its a two star movie with some reasonable performances and some nice looking action, but from a fanboy perspective this pissed my off enourmasly. They actually did more damage to the potential longevity of the X-universe in film with this than with X-men III. So many significant characters written off or given a shitty start thanks to this film. Worst of all, they RUINED Deadpool. What was the point in hiring the fan's choice Ryan Reynolds for the role when they were going to totally rape the character? Its "The merc WITH a mouth" you dipshits, its shits all over the entire character to sew it shut. Not to mention throwing all the extra powers at him. What a complete waste.

And the direction? Useless. This feels like the film madef rom all the discarded takes left over after the real film has already been cut. This doesn't apply to the special effects guys (although there was some truly ROTTEN bluescreen at the end, around the time Botoxavier shows up), its just that they gave significant screen time to fucking Will.i.am over the rest of these guys? What the hell is up with that, why not concentrate on the actual actors instead of the guys getting by on their name from another profession. Looking at the end credits and all the various teams used to shoot this its no wonder its a stylistic mess, they wasted so much money employing so many different people thats there is practically no consistancy in the art direction or feel of the film.

All said, at the end of the day I'd have probably walked out a little sad, but you know what I did that I shouldn't have? I stayed to the end. "They can still save Deadpool" I thought. "They can show him recovering in a hospital, they can show him regaining his mouth, losing all his powers but the healing factor, getting out from under the boot of Stryker. They can set up a spinoff I thought. Wrong. They showed Wolverine...in Japan. Now I get the significance of Wolverine in Japan, theres a lot of material there to explore, but the special feeling I should get seeing that is sort of dampened by the fact that he's spent the last two hours travelling to about 50 different places. Whats so special about Japan after all that? Its just another place. I mean, the amount this fil flitted around the globe, spending the minimum amount of time in any one place, it was just insane. Look at X-men or X-men II, theres a keen sense of spatial awareness you get thats just shot out the window here. Apparently it doesn't matter where you are and it takes NO effort to get there. The journey he goes on means nothing, its just little pitstops here there and everywhere. Oh and don't think you'll get to see the base were were previously told was where Wolverine was given the adamantium, you know, the focal point of the X-men trilogy. They'll just say it happened somewhere else and forget all about it.

What a shitty installment. Worse than Daredevil or Spider-man III. Worse than fucking Blade III to tell the truth, at least Ryan Reynolds got a fucking decent role in that one, at least he got more than two lines. What sort of world is it where some no-name vampire hunter character gets more screen time than Deadpool? This sript was shit, it showed minimal respect to a huge number of big Marvel characters, presented scenarios with no emotional build-up, and basically just strung together some random scenes that tried to fit the maximum number of characters in.

God I'm pissed. I missed the first ten minutes of the film and I've no intent on going back to try and catch them. I mean, it was better than Electra just about, and perhaps on the same level as the first FF film, but if you are on the fence about this don't bother. Go see a good film. I'm just glad Star TRek is just around the corner, although if thats a disappointment I might just swear of going to the cinema. I don't need that kind of pain in my life.

Liev Schreiber was good though, as was Jackman and the guy who played Stryker. I don't blame any of them.

Here's how the executive meeting went:

Suit 1: "Deadpool. He's a disfigured, wise-cracking killer."

Suit 2: "I love it. But what if he's really handsome?"

Suits 3-9: "Great. I like it."

Suit 1: "But he wears a mask..."

Suit 2: "Not anymore. One word: Ryan Reynolds."

Suit 3-9: "Oooh. Love it. You da man!"

Suit 2: "And instead of being wise-cracking and the Merc with a mouth, how about no mouth?"

Suits 3-9: "You're a genius JT!"

Suit 1: <starts writing cover letter to HBO>

And...scene!

Actually, all indications are that if Wolverine does well in theaters, a REAL Deadpool movie is next. The basic idea is that

Deadpool comes out of the events of the Wolverine movie as the scarred, merc-with-a-mouth comic book version of the character.

Ryan Reynolds himself has said that he would LOVE to do a true-to-the-comics Deadpool (4th-wall-breakage and all), so hopefully Wolverine will actually spawn something worthwhile.

Actually, all indications are that if Wolverine does well in theaters, a REAL Deadpool movie is next. The basic idea is that

Deadpool comes out of the events of the Wolverine movie as the scarred, merc-with-a-mouth comic book version of the character.

Ryan Reynolds himself has said that he would LOVE to do a true-to-the-comics Deadpool (4th-wall-breakage and all), so hopefully Wolverine will actually spawn something worthwhile.

I'd be all for that, its just that this film did nothing to set that one up. Now they have to drastically undo all the shit they did to the character in this film, rather than just changing him from a human merc to a disfigured insane one with just one superpower.