Wolverine

Missy

Cyclops:

An interesting backstory for Scott meeting Professor X, though the fact that he had the ruby-quartz sunglasses was odd. In the comics, though, he was given the glasses by Mr. Sinister, who had been keeping tabs on the boy. That would seem to make sense here, though it wasn't explained. Also, we could clearly see his eyes from the sides, as the glasses didn't "wrap around," and there was no type of energy coming from his eyes. Maybe in the film continuity, Scott's eyes only trigger when they see anything other than red? That would be interesting. Still, however, this version of Scott is cool to see, as he's totally in-character for what would be a young Cyclops. It is depressing, however, to know that in X3 his character is going to be simply tossed aside in favor of the almighty Hugh Jackman.

His powers were just starting to manifest, which explains the headache. His powers are not always on yet. It could be he was looking for some sunglasses because of the headaches and found the red ones helped a lot. I used to have a pair of red sunglasses so I know they exist.

Emma (Frost?):

While she certainly looks like a young version of Emma, she's SilverWolf's sister, and doesn't appear to have telepathic ability. Also, her diamond power is totally different-looking, as she basically coats herself in a sheet of diamonds rather than turn into the clear crystal form from the comics. However, she does work alongside Scott Summers in the prison escape scene, which gives a cool possible background for them eventually getting together (if it is to be believed that Scott didn't die in X3, since he was never SHOWN to die).

I don't think we'll see Emma and Scott together in a movie for a long time. We will always see Scott and Jean because that's what everyone making the movies grew up with.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His powers were just starting to manifest, which explains the headache. His powers are not always on yet. It could be he was looking for some sunglasses because of the headaches and found the red ones helped a lot. I used to have a pair of red sunglasses so I know they exist.

That makes sense, but it seemed that

his powers only turned on when his glasses were knocked off. Mayyyybe it's because he was knocked in the head, but it still seemed a little odd.

I don't think we'll ever see Emma and Scott together in a movie for a long time. We will always see Scott and Jean because that's what everyone making the movies grew up with.

Well, I certainly don't think that the people making the films are huge fanboys (not the ones at Fox anyway).

I'm not suggesting that we will see them together, but it's nice to think about.

Twentieth Century Fox's prequel "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" kicked off the summer box office with a boffo opening day gross of $35 million from 4,099 theaters domestically, including roughly $5 million in midnight runs.

Among the "X-Men" installments opening in May, "Wolverine" ranks second behind 2006's "X-Men: The Last Stand" which grossed $45.1 million on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. ("Last Stand" had the advantage of opening over a holiday weekend).

"Wolverine" came in safely ahead of "X2: X-Men United," which opened on the first Friday in May 2003 with $31.2 million and finished the weekend at $85.6 million. "Wolverine" also marks the widest release in the history of Twentieth Century Fox.

"Wolverine's" notable bow marks the sixth time that a Marvel Studio superhero pic has opened in the top spot at the May box office; the first being "Spider-Man" which generated $39.4 million in 2002. At the same point last year, Marvel succeeded in launching a new franchise with "Iron Man" after the film exceeded expectations with a first day haul of $38.7 million.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111800312...=1&nid=2562

But.....the pirates....we were told piracy hurts the box office weren't we? It's projected to make $88 million this weekend.

But.....the pirates....we were told piracy hurts the box office weren't we?

It might have, but I'd bet that the extreme media coverage of the leak helped it a lot.

Or the fact that this movie was always going to make a pile of money because piracy doesn't hurt these kinds of movies. The average person didn't download it and was going to see it anyways.

I'm going to see this later today, but in the meantime, guess who's after their own X-Men prequel?!?

Halle Berry hopes to follow in the footsteps of Hugh Jackman by reviving her X-men character for a prequel.

Jackman's new movie X-Men Origins: Wolverine is set before the comic book trilogy and tells the life story of his superhero alter ego.

And Berry, who played weather-controlling mutant Storm in the first three films, would love to return to the franchise with her own X-Men Origins picture.

She says, "I think that would be great. Storm deserves her own movie - if I can still fit into the suit."

Source: IMDB

Storm really isn't a compelling enough character on her own to carry a film.

At the very least, there are a lot of other X-men that would better fit in that role. Heck, a Cyclops-centered X-Men: First Class film could work, as could a Professor X or Gambit film.

Say what you want about her ego, but in the right circumstances, Halle Berry is a damn fine actress. The odds of the right circumstances being a Storm movie are astronomically tiny, but you never know.

Oh I don't disagree with you, she can be a good actress, but her playing Storm obviously wasn't the right circumstances 3 times in a row. Maybe it has to do with the character being so shallow, but nonetheless, she didn't set the world on fire as Storm even when she was given more to do in the last two films. So I still stand by my original statement Halle Berry sucked as Storm, she was basically sleep-walking through the movies.

Maybe it has to do with the character being so shallow...

The weird thing is that Storm is only shallow when she's not allowed to do what she's best at: leading. Storm's best character quality is that she's a natural leader, but whenever Cyclops (the absolute best X-Men leader that ever will exist) is around, she tends to be a little useless. (then again, Storm "led" the X-men in X3 and she still sucked...)

The Ultimate Marvel version of Storm was actually really interesting because she was a fifteen-year-old street kid that was still dealing with umpteen million hormones, yet had the power to take down a Sentinel in one blast.

So I'm back from watching Wolverine, and I'm amazed at how inept the entire film is. Hugh Jackman really has a thankless task in carrying such a poorly scripted, directed and effects-laden film which has his name stamped all over it. Stavros has most of my thoughts summed up pretty nicely, but I'm making a Comic Reel-lief segment about this over the next week, so I'll chat about it then.

I wrote a full review of the film on my movie review blog (I kept it pretty simple for all the non-comics readers):

x_men_origins_wolverine_movie_poster1.jpg

Seven years ago, when I first saw the original X-Men film, I was hooked forever. I've now read dozens of X-men comics, seen countless episodes of X-men cartoons, bought action figures, watched all the films, and spent countless hours poring over X-men lore.

And even after all of that, I am honestly not sure what to think of this movie.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine is not an X-men film, nor is it entirely a Wolverine film. It's actually a strange amalgamation of various elements that all come together into an oddly-constructed narrative.

The plot basically follows Wolverine as he goes through the various events that will lead him through his membership in the superpowered black ops unit, Team X, and end with him losing the memories of his past.

An odd amount of time in the film is actually spent on a dozen or so other mutant characters that honestly feel like "extras" in a film that should be centered solely on the title character. At times, the film feels like a video game with the way that it constantly switches from character-fight-scene to character-fight-scene.

Some characters ultimately work (though the story might have been better-told without them), while others only hold the story back. Most of them fit into the latter category.

Wolverine's biggest flaw is that it doesn't allow you to feel for the character(s). While Hugh Jackman gives it his all, the script, direction, and editing don't allow for the film to work on the personal level that it should. Also, there are many changes in Wolverine's story that seem rather odd, such as the choice to make Sabretooth, a villain seen in the first X-men film, Wolverine's half-brother. Since Wolverine has his memory wiped in this movie [not really a spoiler], it would make sense for him to not remember Sabretooth, but how exactly did Sabretooth go from a cold and calculating murderer to a blonde guy who just stares funny at people and has no memory of anything having to do with Wolverine?

BAD CONTINUITY MANAGEMENT.

screenshot.jpeg

Another disappointment is the fact that Logan's much-hinted-at past is shown to be a lot more boring than we thought it was. X2 had flashbacks showing a horrifying surgery scene which involved Logan escaping from a government facility, traumatized and amnesia-stricken. As it turns out, that surgery scene actually only lasted TWO MINUTES (that's in-story time, not even screen time), and he doesn't lose his memories until several days later. While the comics (and X2) showed Wolverine's past to be bloody, brutal, and horrifying, this film shows the tale to be extremely flat and devoid of deep emotion. It's no wonder that the film version of Logan is so much softer than his comics counterpart; his past is practically happy-go-lucky by comparison.

The visual effects are... hit-and-miss. There's nothing that really blows the mind of the viewer, nor is there really anything with much artistic quality. Many of the special effects are actually pretty bad.

All in all, this isn't a terrible film, but it's not amazing either. Go see it if you're a huge comics fan (if only because this will be the subject of many a geek-discussion in the months and years to come), but otherwise wait until the DVD, then NetFlix it.

4/10

x-men_origins_wolverine_movie_poster2.jpg

So I watched the Wolverine movie last night. I thought it was decent.

The opening scene, and the credits sequence were really well done. I really liked seeing Victor and Logan go through all the wars, and watching their divergent paths, with Logan becoming more and more haunted, while Victor becoming more and more bloodthirsty (which is pretty much the central point of the movie). The team portion of the movie was really fun, my biggest complaint about this was that literally everybody EXCEPT Logan got to do something. Ryan Reynolds did an excellent job with Wade Wilson here. All the other supporting Weapon X-team characters were fine and Will.I.am was surprisingly competent.

People may dog on the Scott Summers subplot because it includes too many characters, but you know what, I really really liked that portion of the movie and the Professor X cameo came as a complete surprise. Probably if I were to eliminate one character from the movie, it would be Blob. Agent Zero was fine and played the part of a lackey just fine, the Bolt guy was good, got over the whole killing old team members thing, but Blob didn't really add much to the movie outside of some comic relief and an extra fight sequence.

The actual adamantium bonding experiment should have been longer, more brutal, with Wolverine actually trying to kill people, actually giving into the animal side, especially after they not only grafted metal onto his bones, but also tried to erase his memories which is the only good he can hold onto is the memory of Silverfox. That really should have been the straw and he really should have went on a rampage on his way out, when he found out he really was being used. They instead extended with an uneccessary Mama and Papa Kent scenario, who also die, and then Wolvie goes on a rampage against Weapon X.

What's left, oh yea, Gambit. I liked that Gambit portion, I thought that it was good. They really wanted him to be in the movie, and they put it together in a way to make it work: classic superhero misunderstanding. The girl that I went with, said, "That Gambit guy was so cool," so at the very least they got that right. His accent wavered a bit, and I hated that it was gone by the end of the movie, but I liked Gambit, he was characterized well enough for the short time he was on screen. He's got a mean streak in him too, which is the main reason he helped Wolvie who promised to kill the people who locked him up.

As for Deadpool:

Although Deadpool isn't the same character (at least not yet), as in the comics, he willingly went into the experiments in order to cure his cancer and came out worse for wear. As for the stitching up of the mouth, frankly, Deadpool in this movie is less of a merc with a mouth, and more of a tool of Stryker's. Due to this, it makes sense, Stryker controls Deadpool's functions in this movie, so at this point he's not the merc with a mouth, he's a lackey (similar to Lady Deathstrike in X-2). If they do go forward with a Deadpool movie, one of the first things they can show is him cutting open his own mouth and cracking a joke. He can become demented (or more demented) from all the experiments and the mind control. They can retcon a lot of the other powers (the beams and the attached swords) as temporary because the bonding wasn't complete, leaving him with just the healing factor and the teleportation.

Also I really liked the final battle with Deadpool just kicking everybody's ass.

Finally, if Stryker got so much trouble, how did he get out of it in order to become a government man again. I hope they at least acknowledge that in the second film, maybe with a newscast or something small, just to follow up on that.

Sure it's not better than X-men 1 or 2, I had fun. Like I always do with these movies, even 3. The flaws are there, but so is the core tragedy of the character.

The movies out so I'm not doing the spoiler tags anymore.

I loved the beginning also, and I too wondered why Logan was there when he didn't do anything on that mission. I'm wondering if maybe it was deliberate on Stryker's part to make him feel useless to push him into quitting. That puts the rift between Logan and Creed which sets the rest of his plan into motion.

Pajiba's Wolverine Review

However, regardless of what perspective one takes, there’s one important fact about X-Men Origins: Wolverine that is pretty much incontrovertible:

It’s fucking stupid. Completely, utterly ridiculous. Worse still? It could have been not just good, but great, using the exact same tools. Beware, there will be slight spoilers in here, but that’s just as well, because you should avoid this goddamn mess anyway.

I don't know what everyone is getting so bent out of shape about. This was the best Mortal Kombat movie so far. The fight at the end with Baraka at The Pit was very true to the games.