Wolverine

Missy

So this takes place before the first X-Men movie??? So we should go in with the expectation that Wolvie and Sabretooth will lose their memory?? Since they have no idea who each other are in the first film.

We go in with the expectation that Wolverine loses his memory anyway. Half the reason Wolverine stays with the X-men is because Xavier has promised to explore his lost memories, they already went into that in the first two films.

I'm not sure about Sabertooth on the memory issue. This looks like a whole new interpretation of the character, vastly different from the original in the film.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

During the trailer Wolverine threatens to cut Sabretooth's head off. I'm thinking he'll do it, but someone (maybe Magneto or Stryker) finds 'Tooth's body and repairs it. When the head is reattached, his brain isn't as sharp as before, leading to the feral Sabretooth we saw in the first film.

Well, the one thing we know for sure is in the movie canon, he can't remember anything prior to the operation.

And as Starvos points out, maybe this should be taken as separate from the movie canon? Either that, or there's a secondary wave of amnesia after the operation. Or he just doesn't want to talk about it. :P

I agree but why the hell are they calling it X-Men Origins: Wolverine? by now most of the world knows the character unless u live in a basement with no line of technological communication.

I think you're wrong there. Most people have no clue who Wolverine is. Comic fans do but they aren't making this movie for comic fans. If they did that, they would have 1/200th the budget.

Of those who do know who he is, most of them only know him as the guy with the claws in the context of the X-Men.

The Wolverine name sells comics, not movies. The X-Men are a brand, Wolverine is not.

Guest DCAUFan1051
I agree but why the hell are they calling it X-Men Origins: Wolverine? by now most of the world knows the character unless u live in a basement with no line of technological communication.

I think you're wrong there. Most people have no clue who Wolverine is. Comic fans do but they aren't making this movie for comic fans. If they did that, they would have 1/200th the budget.

Of those who do know who he is, most of them only know him as the guy with the claws in the context of the X-Men.

The Wolverine name sells comics, not movies. The X-Men are a brand, Wolverine is not.

so your telling me that the millions of people in the world that have seen the x-men movies we currently have don't know who he is? that's ridiculous

Mike, you have to realize that they're trying to reach the people who haven't seen the X-Men movies, but have heard good things about them. If the film was simply called Wolverine, the people who haven't seen any of the three X-movies might look at the ads and think, "Where have I seen that guy before? Hmm. Oh well." However, by calling the film X-Men Origins: Wolverine they're doing two things. First they're making sure the uninitiated can place the character inside a larger context, making their product more appealing. (Imagine if someone made a Megatron movie. Few people would make the connection to the Transformers. However, calling it Transformers: Megatron Rising or something similar will ring more bells with people.) Secondly, they're kick-starting a Wolverine brand. The next film, you can be sure, will simply be called Wolverine II. Having had the character's name already in one title, the producers can drop the X-Men from the title because he can now stand on his own.

Guest DCAUFan1051

OK I get that but my main question and point which has kinda been answered was will they be doing Origin movies from now on and not continuing on from where The Last Stand Left off?

Because the Last Stand really wrapped up things and closed off the franchise; the directors pretty clearly stated that that would be the last film in the franchise. There's not much of anywhere that they can take the series as it stands currently, unless there's some serious retcon, which might happen in the origins that they're doing now.

Also, I got into X-Men through the movies. :/

so your telling me that the millions of people in the world that have seen the x-men movies we currently have don't know who he is? that's ridiculous

Exactly, without the context of the X-Men the vast majority of movi9e-goers won't know who he is. Mike was right. There was First Blood before there was Rambo.

OK I get that but my main question and point which has kinda been answered was will they be doing Origin movies from now on and not continuing on from where The Last Stand Left off?

Fox has no interest in continuing that franchise. That's why they are doing this one, the Magneto one(maybe), and the one they are really going to use to start a new franchise X-Men: First Class.

Wait. I thought they were done with the X-Men franchise, not including the spin-offs, period?

The movies sell, but since they wrote themselves into such a corner last time when they killed everyone, they have to go backwards now, so it's going to be spin offs, remakes, and prequels out of every orifice, I imagine.

The movies sell, but since they wrote themselves into such a corner last time when they killed everyone.

I take it you've never read an X-Men book before.

They have three dead heroes, Halle Barry, a character that's getting his own solo series, and a villain that they teased recycling for the fourth straight movie. I don't want to see them even attempt to clean up that mess. Outside of Nightcrawler, Beast, and Magneto, they fucked up pretty much every character, and I'd rather see a reboot than any more sequels at the rate they're going. The X-Men movies were essentially "Wolverine and Those Other Guys" anyway.

The movies sell, but since they wrote themselves into such a corner last time when they killed everyone.

The X-Men movies were essentially "Wolverine and Those Other Guys" anyway.

:P

The X-Men movies were essentially "Wolverine and Those Other Guys" anyway.

:P

X-Men and Gen13 were the only two comics I'd ever read before joining this site.

I stopped reading X-Men for the very same reasons I can't stand the movies.