Episode 82

RSS

In another massive episode of Dread Media, Desmond Reddick has a little help from his friends and family. Momma and Papa Dread join him for some light conversation before Darryll sits down with Des to review Let the Right One In. And, she is woman, hear her adore! Megan stops by to have a slightly one-sided conversation about Twilight. But what about Mean-Spirited March, you ask? Well, how about the most depraved, disgusting and brutal film of all time? That's right, Vaughn from Motion Picture Massacre stops by to discuss Salo, or The 120 Days of Sodom. Listener discretion is advised. Seriously. Tunes include "Gimme Shelter" by The Hellacopters, "Knock Knock" by The Hives, "Santa Carla Twilight" by Tiger Army, "Cake and Sodomy" by Marilyn Manson, and "Gospel Sodomy Boy on Blow" by Zimmer's Hole. [ 2:12:48 || 61.0 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia...admedia_082.mp3

Heh, about halfway through.

I've been hearing good things about Let the Right One In from all corners, probably going to try and find it and watch it at some point in the near future.

May I just say that the segments with your family were adorable? (Even if Twilight makes my soul bleed emo tears of blood?)

Not enough podcasts utilise the phrase "My mom's favourite Swedish rock band"

Great ensemble show, Mr Doomsday. Let The Right One In, Twilight and Salo juxtaposed together probably shouldn't work, but it does thanks to the variety of your co-reviewers. And your good self, obviously.

Not enough podcasts utilise the phrase "My mom's favourite Swedish rock band"

Great ensemble show, Mr Doomsday. Let The Right One In, Twilight and Salo juxtaposed together probably shouldn't work, but it does thanks to the variety of your co-reviewers. And your good self, obviously.

Thank you, sir!

Very, very well done, Des. And the ending of your Salo review made me very, very amused.

Ha! Just you saying that right now made me realize my entire family was on this week's episode!

Thanks Preston.

I watched August Underground's Mordum last night and don't even know what to say about it...

But I'm watching Martyrs tonight so that'll be doooope!

• 1 month later...

Enjoyed the review of Let the right one in, I thought I'd check it out since just ordered a US import copy and BBC critic Mark Kermode once again referred to it as the best film of the last year. I'll have to listen again after I've seen it, I'll probably get more out of it then.

Couple of comments regarding people turning into vampires within three minutes. That's not a Buffy deal, that show always worked by the rule that the victim awoke the night after they were turned. That raises all sorts of questions (like how they managed to bury them on the same day as they died) but the graveyeard stuff was mostly for atmosphere rather than logic.

Dread- "I totally hate when someone pops up three minutes after being bitten as a vampire...it's without art, its without subtlety in any fashion..."

Sounds like you dislike From Dusk Til Dawn then. I don't mind rules being changed around vampires as long as those rules are consistent. Its like Zombies running, you do what you feel is dramatically the best fit for your film. There is no one right way to do it. There are plenty of aspects of the original concept of vampirism that have been tossed aside or resurrected for different versions. The quick change works well in some cases, particularly with the original 30 Day's of Night comic.

Dread- "I totally hate when someone pops up three minutes after being bitten as a vampire...it's without art, its without subtlety in any fashion..."

Sounds like you dislike From Dusk Til Dawn then. I don't mind rules being changed around vampires as long as those rules are consistent. Its like Zombies running, you do what you feel is dramatically the best fit for your film. There is no one right way to do it. There are plenty of aspects of the original concept of vampirism that have been tossed aside or resurrected for different versions. The quick change works well in some cases, particularly with the original 30 Day's of Night comic.

I do. On a visceral level it's entertaining but I don't think its any good as a film.

I juts prefer a person to die of the poisoning and return after the death has settled into the psyches of their loved ones. It has impact.