Episode 50

RSS

As James and Mike celebrate their 50th episode, they also look back at Batman Beyond. Who were some of their favorite villains, which character took a verbal beating and what did they think of the series overall? Plus, they both rethink a handful of grades, and Ian Wilson returns with his take on how the duo handled themselves while discussing Batman Beyond. [ 1:36:19 || 44.1 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_050.mp3

Guest DCAUFan1051

hey hey hey mike no evil maniacal laughter in replacing Justice League with Brave & The Bold! :laugh: still listening while the ep is transferred to the iPhone. Congrats on 50 guys!

Guest DCAUFan1051
send us money... no seriously.

I already did twice! lol just kidding as I said congrats and thanks for the podcast, the forums and everything that you guys do. I still wish there were different artwork each episode though :D how much would I have to send for that to happen? :laugh:

I think this was by far the best of the three retrospective episodes we've done so far.

I seem to remember the segment monkey being given a "thank you" in past recap episodes..... :cry:

Then again, I get Mike's POV on Once Burned, despite the clips package, and I didn't know about the email response. As he said "yeah, I've been harsh", I have no real qualms with a personal score of 0. At the end of the day, one man's opinion on an episode of an animated series isn't worth getting worked up over.

I'm looking forward to the next few episodes - I know nothing about the flash cartoons, Zeta or Static Shock, so I'm going to be fascinated about how these shows fare.

I seem to remember the segment monkey being given a "thank you" in past recap episodes..... :cry:

Hey now, James said it was "one of our favorite moments in our recap episodes." So that's like a "thank you."

I know, I know - just pulling your leg! :P

Guest DCAUFan1051

Even though a few of the other emailers shudder at Static, I've been watching it on Disney XD and it's not half bad. I even saw the batman episode very cool.

I think some of the Batman Beyond episodes when you guys reviewed them would have made more sense if you were doing them by airdate. However I know that the production date is what you set out to do. The episodes I'm specifically talking about are the ones with Dana and Terry. By this I mean say you have a set of five episodes your gonna review, in the first episode Dana and Terry might be on the outs or whatever, then in the very next episode or the third episode everything's just fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to make sense when looking at it from the airdate prospective.

Just a couple of thoughts -

As to Mike's question about whether James might have preferred certain episodes (Rats, the computer one) had more established characters been the villains, I can hear you two now. "I can't believe they made (name of villain) appear in this piece of crap episode! I think that's worth a point off right there! If they're going to do such a crappy plot, at least don't wast a good villain!"

About the favorite villains, I still think that Spellbinder had some of the most intelligent plans in the DCAU (and when I say "intelligent", I mean "could actually work and may even make you back your investment" - not so much in the first episode, but certainly in "Eyewitness" and "Hooked Up". His episodes are often kind of lackluster, but I did appreciate the fact that his plots were better than average.

Chris

cool show, I'm about half way done.

By the way, have you notice how in the early shows, the episode description would take just a few seconds, and sometime during Superman TAS you guys started to describe the episodes you were reviewing more in depth, and now it's like a very thorough description of everything that happens?

I'm still catching up and have a few more episodes to listen to.

Final thing here, what if WB decides to debut a new show, in DCAU continuity, before you guys are done, would you have to cover it too and go as the shows air? This is an entire hypothetical scenario since the chances for a new show are pretty slim, it's just a question I had.

By the way, have you notice how in the early shows, the episode description would take just a few seconds, and sometime during Superman TAS you guys started to describe the episodes you were reviewing more in depth, and now it's like a very thorough description of everything that happens?

I'm not sure when or why it happened, but it's been noticed. Personally, I like the longer descriptions. Sometimes they might go too long, but that's better than saying something like "Superman fights Lex... again. Thoughts...?"

Final thing here, what if WB decides to debut a new show, in DCAU continuity, before you guys are done, would you have to cover it too and go as the shows air? This is an entire hypothetical scenario since the chances for a new show are pretty slim, it's just a question I had.

Never thought about it, but I don't see why not.

Guest DCAUFan1051

on that note I'll mention something I've been thinking about for a while. Like Wesrk said, I thought of having them go back inbetween the continuity that they've setup and filling in the gaps. Like in epilouge Dana says they've been dating for 15 years, why not show us all the superhero type stuff that has happened within that time. And still have it ending at epilogue? That'd be a show I'd watch.

cool show, I'm about half way done.

They definitely would cover it, since it would be after all the already established cartoons than they'd have time for DVD releases and internet sites to watch off of.

I like the Brave and the Bold cartoon, but I wouldn't put it past B:TAS, but it is very good. I like how there's an opening with a different character, how we get these flash backs that explain the origin of a character, or a new adventure, and I like how Batman is still a bad ass (see GL episode)

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed Mike and James's review of Batman Beyod, but I was kind of mad about some of the stuff that was wrong with the show. what I think people are noticing about Batman Beyond is that it was a really good show because it was really action packed. A lot of DCAU shows are not that action packed. That is why I like Batman Beyond. Plus, there is no stupid censorship.