Episode 84

RSS

In this episode of Dread Media, Desmond Reddick interviews the legendary horror comic book artist Gene Colan. They talk about movies, comic book history and his illustrious career. He then goes on to suggest five Gene Colan products for you to check out. Then, furthering the occasion, Darryll and Desmond go on to review a film very important to Mr. Colan, 1931's classic Frankenstein. Topping it all off, reanimated tunes aplenty: "Monster Entrance" from Bride of Frankenstein by Franz Waxman, "Main Theme" from Frankenstein by Bernard Kaun, "Frankenstein" by the Edgar Winter Group and "Frankenstein" by Iced Earth. Go and check out some of the greatest horror comics art around: www.genecolan.com. [ 1:47:28 || 49.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia...admedia_084.mp3

I'm actually really looking for ward to listen to this myself. I don't remember a thing about this interview. Except the end. I have never said "God Bless You" to anyone before.

I think I went on nerd autopilot and I hope I don't come across as a douche-nozzle.

I just can't get over how great that was, man. I mean, listening to you talk to one of your idols, hanging on his every word and sharing your love of his work with him was awesome. I'm more familiar with his Daredevil stuff (Asspain, anyone?), but the focus on Horror was awesome.

The Frankenstein review spoke to me, as a stage actor, because I've always seen that film as something very theatrical, but you and Daryl do a great job of pointing out its more cinematic moments, too.

I just can't get over how great that was, man. I mean, listening to you talk to one of your idols, hanging on his every word and sharing your love of his work with him was awesome. I'm more familiar with his Daredevil stuff (Asspain, anyone?), but the focus on Horror was awesome.

Thanks again, Preston. Sometimes even the easy interviews are hard. I was hanging on his every word but it was extremely difficult to pay attention at times with him telling Bullpen stories and stuff like that. I daydreamed back to that amazing time.

I think at this point I could interview Stephen King without being nervous but there are a few people who make me nervous. Gene Colan is one of them. There are a few others I've tracked down/am tracking down that make me feel the same way. More on that when they're locked.

The Frankenstein review spoke to me, as a stage actor, because I've always seen that film as something very theatrical, but you and Daryl do a great job of pointing out its more cinematic moments, too.

Yeah, I was kind of taken with how much I actually noticed a moving camera and quick editing after seeing the film umpteen times. As Darryll said, it's a great bridge between stage and screen.

Congratulations, Des, on an utterly fascinating and informative interview with Gene Colan. It's quite obvious why they call him "Gentleman Gene." A pleasure to listen to. I got a charge when he gave props to John Buscema. One of my favorite artists from, among others, Savage Sword Of Conan. Des, I thought you composed yourself wonderfully and professionally. I got the impression Gene really appreciated the praise you garnered him with. He deserves it. Great show!

Congratulations, Des, on an utterly fascinating and informative interview with Gene Colan. It's quite obvious why they call him "Gentleman Gene." A pleasure to listen to. I got a charge when he gave props to John Buscema. One of my favorite artists from, among others, Savage Sword Of Conan. Des, I thought you composed yourself wonderfully and professionally. I got the impression Gene really appreciated the praise you garnered him with. He deserves it. Great show!

Thanks Darryll!

Thank you, Preston, for that illuminating clarification.

I find it fascinating that you both have such comprehensive knowledge of the male anatomy and it's various colloquialisms considering that between the two of you, you share only one bodily orifice...a douche-nozzle.

How does it work? Does one of you use the nozzle for a couple of weeks and then mail it to the other. What if it arrives without having been properly cleaned? I suppose it's one thing to be a douche-nozzle but to be a clogged douche-nozzle?

The mind recoils at the thought. Burn indeed.

Good day, sirs.