Sign in to follow this  
JackFetch

Venom

Unexpected but dang cool casting. This movie still won't work without Spider-Man, but that's a great step foot forward.

If they did Agent Venom, with Hardy playing Army veteran Flash Thompson, it could work without Spider-Man. Otherwise, yeah, it's iffy.

Are they doing the soldier version, 'cause that would get my attention for sure.

Hardy is definitely playing Eddie Brock and Michelle Williams (?) I think, is playing his ex-wife Ann. I’ve heard rumors that it’s based on Lethal Protector, because of course it is. 

I'd love to be down for it, but Venom doesn't happen without Spider-Man. I need confirmation that Holland is in this, or else it doesn't work.

3 hours ago, Donomark said:

I'd love to be down for it, but Venom doesn't happen without Spider-Man. I need confirmation that Holland is in this, or else it doesn't work.

Yeah I just don't see how you can do Venom without Spider-Man. Even if they do a thing like Suicide Squad where he is only in flashbacks I don't see how it would work. It is such a huge part of his story you can't ignore it. 

You build up this movie as something special and then leave out such a key part?

...Where was Jenny Slate?!? She’s on the cast list!

This is why Sony is a laughing stock when it comes to these things. That was anti-hype.

I’m actually okay with them saving the suit for the movie. I honestly hope we don’t see it. 

If you're complaining about not seeing the monster in the teaser trailer, you need your head examined.

Everyone is there to see Venom, not watch Tom Hardy walk around. They could have just had a shot of the dark with the eyes glowing or something. They didn't even put the name of the movie on this thing. Are they teasing the title as well?

I agree, that Venom's origin is so tied to Spider-Man that I do not see how you can do a Venom story without him.

Even people who are not comic fans and know nothing about Venom will look at the costume and know instinctively that this is a Spider-Man villain. I mean, look at the costume. It's obvious. They don't have to bring in Holland, or show Spider-Man, bit there needs to be dialogue about how the symbiote used to belong to someone else.

But I will withhold judgment until I actually see the thing. Depending on what they do with it, decoupling Venom and Spider-Man won't necessarily kill the movie. I can see how you could still tell a good story. And we will always have the comics and cartoons where Venom is Spidey's former costume.

On 2/8/2018 at 8:18 PM, Dread said:

If you're complaining about not seeing the monster in the teaser trailer, you need your head examined.

That I agree with. It's called a "teaser" for a reason. The movie doesn't come out for months, so it is possible there is more work to be done on the CGI. Had they shown the monster and it looked terrible, people would be screaming about that.

They didn't have to show a full-shot of Venom, but they needed to show something. It's been ten, nearly eleven years since Spider-Man 3. Do they really think the mainstream would get excited based on any of those images, none of which recall Venom from that version, let alone anything from the comics are cartoons.

No, this thing fucking blew.