Episode 51

RSS

Lobo doesn't sound like anything I'm much interested in, but I like the sound of Gotham Girls. How easy is it to find, for those interested?

Also, going to argue with you on the Nolan thing. I think Harley could be bought in in a subplot in Arkham. Joker doesn't even have to appear onscreen, really. All we have to see is a general outline of him in the shadows, and if people really want the Ledger!Joker, someone can probably do a pretty decent impression. She could potentially be good setup for later movies, but, then again, if they're looking for wrapping up the trilogy, then it might not be such a good idea.

Guest DCAUFan1051
Lobo doesn't sound like anything I'm much interested in, but I like the sound of Gotham Girls. How easy is it to find, for those interested?

Also, going to argue with you on the Nolan thing. I think Harley could be bought in in a subplot in Arkham. Joker doesn't even have to appear onscreen, really. All we have to see is a general outline of him in the shadows, and if people really want the Ledger!Joker, someone can probably do a pretty decent impression. She could potentially be good setup for later movies, but, then again, if they're looking for wrapping up the trilogy, then it might not be such a good idea.

Gotham Girls are on the Birds of Prey DVD set or you can find them online... I have the lobo webtoon eps in a zip folder if you want me to email them to u PM me :D

haven't listened yet as I've been recording interview but will listen soon

Guest DCAUFan1051

Besides the fact that the gore nearly made me puke I agree with Mike it's a complete chore to watch Lobo. After I actually sent mike the files I started watching them I braved through it but I'd never watch it again. Still listening more thoughts later.

Mike, I never watched them back when in 2002 but in Season 3 this was the reason why the story was kind of all over the place...

09.gif.

Seems like they were trying to pull a 'Death in The Family' without knowing were they were going.

Also Harley Quinn Smith was born in 1999 and the GG episode with Baby Harley was released in 2001.

Lobo was just a pain to watch. Although, once again, Mike brought some enjoyment to them - when he referred to the Lobo For President episode as "breaking up the flow", I burst out laughing - I think he felt the same way about that comment.

I did think the discussion about one s two Rogues in Nolan was odd. You were both speaking as though 1 is the default for Nolan films, with Two Face not quite counting according to Mike. Am I misremembering here?

Batman Begins: Falcone (granted, not a Rogue, but definitely part of the Batman fabric), Scarecrow, Ra's, and a brief appearance by Zsasz.

The Dark Knight: Joker, Two-Face

You can argue that Two Face is an anti-hero; you can point out Scarecrow was working for Ra's, but the fact remains, he's never done a movie with only one rogue in it.

As far as Talia, I agree - introducing her as the daughter of Ra's, out to get revenge for her dead father, would cripple the character. Been there, done that. "Love triangle" is probably the best way to describe that relationship, and that's the only way you can really get into the character. I'd love it if they did bring back Ra's, but a) I think you would need that Lazarus Pits to do that, and that would be a bit too sci-fi for the Nolanverse, and b) that would probably be viewed as too much focus on Ra's. You could do multiple episodes in a TV show, but for 3-4 movies with the same cast (which is about the most you can hope for), especially given how many possibilities there are to choose from, I don't see them devoting another episode to a Bruce-Ra's-Talia movie, no matter how dramatic that might be.

Riddler or comics Bane would be a possibility. Scarface might be interesting to see as well. I wouldn't mind a short appearance by Catwoman, but she's a thief. She doesn't operate on the scale of "city in peril" that fits with the other movies. Something along the lines of Day Of The Samurai or Night of the Ninja might work, given the time spent on Bruce's early travels in the first movie, but they already had Ra's come back from Bruce's past.

Nolan ruled out Penguin - I think we can also rule out Roxy Rocket, the team up between Baby Doll and Killer Croc, and the Sewer King.

The Nolan films are highly influenced by The Long Halloween, the sequel Dark Victory and the sequel after that Catwoman: When In Rome both reveal Carmine Falcone being the father of Selena Kyle. This may work if they wanted to bring Talia in and bring out a love triangle.

We can have The main villain being The Riddler(who was actually in the third book in the series Catwoman: When In Rome alongside Catwoman) or Bane or someone like that, with Talia coming to Gotham under the guise that she is working for one of them. Meets with Bruce Wayne and develops a romantic interest in him, while still orchestrating a revenge ploy against him using the main villain for the film.

Catwoman comes in looking into her past and faces against Batman, forming a relationship that way. Bruce/Batman than has the pain of dealing with feelings for both and having to bring them to justice.

I think they MIGHT be able to bring in Dick Grayson without making him Robin. It likely wouldn't work for the next film, but maybe "Batman 4"? The death of the Graysons and the adoption of Dick by Bruce is something that could work in a realistic setting; they just couldn't have him put on the costume. Maybe Bruce starts grooming him as a future Batman, leading to all kinds of problems?

I think they MIGHT be able to bring in Dick Grayson without making him Robin. It likely wouldn't work for the next film, but maybe "Batman 4"? The death of the Graysons and the adoption of Dick by Bruce is something that could work in a realistic setting; they just couldn't have him put on the costume. Maybe Bruce starts grooming him as a future Batman, leading to all kinds of problems?

I don't think grooming him to be a future Batman would work. But like Mike said having the 3rd film end with him going to the circus or being told about the circus could work. They can have the beginning of Batman 3 have him capturing Tony Zuco for a petty robbery(just to introduce the character) than the ending have that cliffhanger.

We shouldn't meet Young Dick Grayson until it is established that will be the story focus on a new trilogy(you don't want to HAVE to include that if they decide against it). I think they should cast an unknown 15 year old to portray a 12 or 13 year old Dick Grayson. Than in the 2nd film of the Robin trilogy have him become Robin, the third film should show the crumbling of their relationship when he turns 18(leading into a Knightwing film). Barabara can be introduced as well in the third film(of the Robin trilogy) as she will be old enough to consider bringing Batgirl at some point near that time. This should take about a 5 to 10 year span to make these films properly.

I doubt this will all happen as WB likes to rush on things and I think after the 3rd film they will either forget the films or rush into lesser sequels.

Yeech! The way you described both series, here is what I think happened in some WB board room:

"Say you know, these Internet webisodes...or whatever these darn things are called, are spreading like wild fire. Why aren't we doing that?"

"Well, we could do something, I don't know?"

"Hey, I've got an idea, get Timm and Dini on the line. Lets have those two do some cartoons for the website!"

"Uh... Batman Beyond cartoons? New Batman Animated cartoons?"

"Naah, hey whats that character that was real popular...Something Bo...Real pisser that guy."

"Uh...Lobo?"

"Yeah him, he'd be BRILLIANT!"

"Ummm, I'm not sure if that character can carry a storyl..."

"Okay, so that is what the boys will watch, we needed something for the girls...Hmmmm...Did they ever use Wonder Woman for any of their shows?"

"Well, not yet sir, but...uh..."

"WAIT I GOT IT! Harley Quinn is quite a popular character, lets use her!"

"Well, I guess, but who would want to watch a continuing series based on a villian?"

"She's a villian? Hmmmm...Isn't there a woman that works with Batman? Ummm..."

"Batgirl?"

"BATGIRL! Thats it! In fact, name that cartoon "Gotham Girls!" Brillant!

And since this is when content like that was very much at its infancy, no one quite got what they could do on these shows. Ah well I guess.

Harley Quinn Smith was named AFTER the character. Not only is Smith a friend of Dini, but one his favorite comics was Mad Love. He enjoyed the character so much, that when choosing a name for their child, he made his wife read the trade for Mad Love. She also fell in love with the character, and agreed on her name.

I'm finally caught up with all the episodes of WFP! AT LAST!

Now it's time to start Animezing podcast, followed by Earth-2.net: the show.

You know...there's only 86 episodes of Dread Media. Ting! ;)

Pfft, I'm recording the 13th episode of For Your Ears Only this weekend!