Dr. Horrible sequel

JackFetch

Joss Whedon, co-creator and director of the hit Web musical Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, told a group of reporters that a sequel could take any form: another Web series or even a feature film. The three-part series' success on the Web, DVD, iTunes and CD could interest studios in funding a big-budget sequel, but Whedon intends to keep things intimate.

"Well, we don't want to be beholden to anybody," Whedon said in a group interview on Tuesday in Hollywood at a Paley Fest panel on the show. "We want to do the product the same way we did the first one, which is out of our hearts, and then go to people [and say], 'OK, if you're interested in this, this is what it is.' Besides, it could be something theatrical. It could be something on the Internet again, where it's done on the fly and it all comes from us. We don't know how we want that to be. The best thing to do is to write it. Then we can start deciding a business model based on the script."

A feature-length Dr. Horrible sequel is a serious consideration but not definite. "We've talked about doing an actual studio film, and we've talked about doing an independent tiny little thing," Whedon said. "We've talked about everything in between, the bumper sticker, whatever format."

In a separate interview, co-writer and composer Jed Whedon (Joss' brother) said the sequel's length would be determined by the medium in which it appears. "It depends on what form it takes," Jed said in an exclusive interview on the red carpet. "The story that we're talking about is pretty big, so it might end up being longer."

Spoiler alert: Maurissa Tancharoen, co-writer and Jed's fiance, added that the writers could find a way to bring back Felicia Day's ill-fated Penny for a sequel. Not that they would invalidate the dramatic effect of Penny's death.

"Penny is definitely dead, but there are ways," Tancharoen said. "We love Felicia so much. Maybe she'll do catering while we shoot the movie."

Jed added: "It's movie magic, so there are a lot of different things we can do. We just want to hang out with her."

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is available at the official Web site, through iTunes and Hulu and on DVD.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/joss-co-reveal-plans-for.php

They've been talking about a sequel for months, really.

I'm kind of eh about a sequel. Lightning rarely strikes twice, and I don't really see what else they could do with it, plot-wise, that doesn't sound like a bad fanfiction.

On the other hand, if they can come up with a good plot and songs, then I'd probably watch it.

I'm kind of eh about a sequel. Lightning rarely strikes twice, and I don't really see what else they could do with it, plot-wise, that doesn't sound like a bad fanfiction.

Whedon's works are remarkable in the way they

Dr. Horrible is awesome because it's a Shakespearean tragedy, condensed into 45 minutes, given songs and written wittily. There's no reason to make a sequel. There is no story that should be told from here on out.

I don't think I agree with that. I'd say that it's a wittily-written musical that takes a Shakesperean turn at the end.

It only became a Shakesperean tragedy in the last act; most of it was just hilarious musical dialogue about a somewhat relatable protagoninst. I would LOVE to see what happens to the characters from here.

Does Billy want to stay an evil villain, or will his caring nature win out?

Does Captain Hammer become humbled and truly good, or take a darker path?

Does Penny return in any sense?

Will Moist ever become useful?!?

But its not like they are just coming back to it for the sake of it, they always intended to come back to it in some form, they said as much when it was released. I have faith that it can be just as good, after all the musical commentary was epic in its own right.

Personally, there are about a handful of things that I put my faith into. Joss Whedon is one of them so I have to believe that any sequel will be good. He's always great when working with his own characters. It's when he works on characters he doesn't own (Alien: Resurrection, Astonishing X-Men, Runaways) that he starts becoming iffy. While yes, the downer ending is one of the reasons that the original was just so freaking awesome. I kinda want to know the stories of the Evil League of Evil (Fake Thomas Jefferson in particular intrigues me.) and I figure a feature version could expand on that. For that matter, a sequel doesn't even need to necessarily focus on Doctor Horrible. It could feature any of the secondary characters, maybe the return of Captain Hammer or something like that.

He's always great when working with his own characters. It's when he works on characters he doesn't own (Alien: Resurrection, Astonishing X-Men, Runaways) that he starts becoming iffy.

Of those only Runaways was really his fault. Alien was worked and reworked to the point where no one man was responsible for its faults. Astonishing X-men was great aside from the delays caused by the art.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Comic-Con: Joss Whedon Says His ‘Dr Horrible’ Web Series To Air On The CW

By DOMINIC PATTEN | Friday July 13, 2012 @ 6:53pm PDT

Joss Whedon‘s web series Dr Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is coming to the CW next year, the director of Marvel’s The Avengers director said this evening at Comic-Con. He did not say when the series would air, nor whether new episodes will be made for TV. The network didn’t have dates or times either. The original series stars Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day and streamed live online over three acts in July 2008. Whedon directed and wrote the miniseries with his brothers Zack and Jed and wife Maurissa Tancharoen. His announcement today came at the end of a wide-ranging discussion by the director on a number of topics at a panel for Dark Horse Comics. Whedon has been a noteworthy presence at Comic-Con this year, appearing on several panels and events including today’s 10th anniversary panel for his cult sci-fi series Firefly. While there, he said he remains undecided about abwhether to return to the director’s chair for a sequel to The Avengers.

Source.