An idea I’ve had for a while.

Aaron Robinson

So here’s an idea I’ve had rattling around my brain for a while; a forum wide Secret Santa/Festivus/Present giving thingie. Basically, I’m thinking that towards the end of the year, I’ll collect names and contact details from anyone interested (provided that they meet certain requirements) and then I’ll shuffle them and hand them out. Once you receive a name, you’ll have a fairly lengthy amount of time to get them a present. The gift/s will have to be at least somewhat appropriate, and will have to be under a certain price limit. A thread will be kept open over the duration for everyone to post pictures and leave comments.

I’ve seen something similar done in a couple of forums I visit, and it’s always seems like a fantastic time for all involved. Plus, it would be a great idea to show how cool the earth-2.net community is.

I’m not even attempting to set anything in stone yet. I’m just testing the waters to gauge interest. Ultimately if such a thing were to go through, it wouldn’t be a part of earth-2.net proper. It would be an entirely separate thing run by myself and maybe one or two other people. I think we have a strong enough community to try something like this out.

Here are some basic guidelines I’ve been thinking about:

• You have to be over 18. No exceptions.

• You have to be an established forum member. That means more than a handful of posts and that you’ve been on the boards for a while (I’ll determine the exact requirements later). If you’re on staff you’ll more than likely be exempt from this rule.

• You have to be appropriate. What this means depends on the person you’re buying the present for. If you’re unsure, feel free to contact me.

• In fact, I’ll be a conduit for any questions you need to ask to the person you’re buying the gift for. You ask me, I’ll ask the person.

• With the economy the way it is I can understand that someone might need to pull out. But you have to tell me. That way there’s a possibility I can organize something for the person who misses out. Be aware that this is community driven. There’s no guarantee that you’ll receive something.

• If you’re can’t spend too much money don’t forget that there’s other things you can do. Have an old book, comic, DVD, etc. that they might like? Maybe you can write, draw or make them something. Don’t be afraid to be creative.

So what do you guys think? Am I crazy? Would such a thing even be worth it?

• 5 months later...

I'm still amazed by how many people replied to this. Sadly, about half way through the year I started a new job that kind of put everything on hold. If people are still really keen, there might still be enough time to get something going (I was originally thinking of starting this around September, but I guess it could still work), or if someone else want to just roll with the idea, that would be fine with me.

I'm still up for it.

Though, I get the feeling some of this will have to be stuff that can be bought from each person's amazon store, like if I got someone in America, I would get something for them from the American store and have it giftwrapped, that way I get them something that isn't affected by shipping too much.

I'm still up for it.

Though, I get the feeling some of this will have to be stuff that can be bought from each person's amazon store, like if I got someone in America, I would get something for them from the American store and have it giftwrapped, that way I get them something that isn't affected by shipping too much.

Ditto.

Bewarned, I haven't the best reputation in gift-giving. On a school trip to France when I was 11, I brought back as souvenirs some dice for my sister (genuine French dice, I insisted) and a colander for my mum. And for his 13th or 14th birthday, I got Richard some blank VHS tapes!