New live action TMNT movie announced!

source: http://plairdblog.blogspot.com/2009/04/so-...tioned-few.html

---------------------------------------------------------

"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles™ Come Alive

In Major Motion Picture for 2011

New Theatrical Film to tell Origin Story of the Legendary Characters

Los Angeles, April 23, 2009— The Mirage Group has given the green light for development of a live-action major motion picture focusing on the origins of the iconic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, targeted for release in 2011.

Announcement of the latest (fifth) big screen version of the crime-fighting “heroes in a half-shell” comes on the day the Turtles kick off their 25th anniversary national “Shell-ebration” in New York City with multiple events that include the honor of lighting the Empire State Building in ‘turtle green’ and a unique outdoor presentation of their beloved first “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” film at the Tribeca Film Festival “Drive-In”.

Mirage is partnering with producers Scott Mednick (“300”, “Superman Returns”, “10,000 BC”, and the upcoming “Where the Wild Things Are”) and Galen Walker (who produced the most recent computer-animated “TMNT” theatrical release) to create this live action film. Peter Laird, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst, Eric Crown and Napoleon Smith III will serve as executive producers of the film, which is based on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles characters created by Laird and Kevin Eastman. Mednick and Walker will serve as producers. The project is being funded through Lightbox Productions, LLC.

“It was critical to us to find people who both understood the Turtles franchise and were accomplished film makers who appreciated both the action and humor components of the Turtles’ identity ,” said Gary Richardson CEO, The Mirage Group. “With Galen and Scott we know we’ve found great talent with those essential attributes.”

“The original dozen comics created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman are some of the best source material one could hope for,” said Mednick. “We’re excited to bring this story to a whole new generation of moviegoers as well as the legions of fans that have made the Turtles - Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, and Raphael as well as Splinter, April O’Neil, Casey Jones and, of course, the great villain Shredder - a part of their world for 25 years.”

Mednick has begun reaching out to writers and directors and is already in discussion with several high-profile actors interested in portraying Turtles characters they loved as kids.

4Kids Entertainment, master licensing agency for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles property, will be handling all of the movie merchandise licensing.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles made their public premiere in May 1984 in a comic book published and distributed by Mirage Studios. A hugely successful TV series quickly followed, along with a record-setting licensing program and three successful live-action theatrical films. In 2003, the Turtles were re-introduced to a new generation through a fresh TV series, a computer- animated theatrical movie and new merchandising program. The 25th year of TMNT will provide fans of all ages with the opportunity to experience this evergreen property in a ten-city mobile tour highlighted by the TMNT Party Bus, a rolling museum of TMNT memorabilia

I am both excited and skeptical on this one. I have always been pretty happy with the first live-action TMNT movie from 1990 which i felt was a fine adaptation of the first batch of Eastman & Laird issues and probably the best balance between the darkness and the humor that the franchise has always been known for. The fact that this new movie is basically going to be a reboot means that it's going to have to retread over the same ground again. On the plus side if we get to see Baxter Stockman, the Mousers, and everyone rockin the red bandanas it could all be worth it lol. Also it's been almost 20 years since the first movie, so i guess there is enough distance to retell the origin again onscreen, and expose it to a new generation. Hopefully it will also atleast be PG-13.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU for this news. A friend of mine and I have been discussing these character being given a reboot or a sequel that is dark, like the original comics and making it a hard PG-13. With Peter Laird apart of it and Mirage you know it will be.

My friend who calls himself ramboraph has done fan commentary for the first 3 films and has posted them on youtube. They are extremely fun to listen too and very fact filled.

Here is the playlist for part 1 commentary

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BEDB5D63BBFC9EFF

Part 2 and 3 are also on his profile, but he hasn't placed them in a playlist yet.

With Peter Laird apart of it and Mirage you know it will be.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Peter Laird seems to be content with the PG rated sanitized version of the turtles, and as long as Gary Richardson is still involved with Mirage the focus will always be on licensing products in the cheapest way possible (the fact that 4Kids is already being named as licensor is troubling). I still hold out some hope that they are going a different path this time but i'll have to wait and see.

I like how The Next Mutation was airbrushed out of the back history in that press statement. Seriously, I could do without remembering that that ever existed. Then again, TMNT 2 & 3.....

I really don't know what to feel about a new live action movie, I really don't. I fucking adored the Turtles when I was 5 and the first film just about holds up, but I think they should stick to the CGI-style when it comes to the Turtles for now. TMNT was successful enough if I remember correctly, and indicated a return for Shredder. Unlike the Superman franchise, I'm fine to have producers pretend there's only one Turtles villain.

Unlike the Superman franchise, I'm fine to have producers pretend there's only one Turtles villain.

What about Krang? Rocksteady? Bebop? I'll be very annoyed if the next TMNT film doesn't feature the Technodrome.

That's the thing, it's either all or nothing at all (a possible Westlife lyric, if memory serves). I don't feel like I can be bored of the Turtles vs Shredder ever. I have much love for Krang and Rocksteady & Bebop, but Shredder is the Lex Luthor of this franchise.

Unlike the Superman franchise, I'm fine to have producers pretend there's only one Turtles villain.

What about Krang? Rocksteady? Bebop? I'll be very annoyed if the next TMNT film doesn't feature the Technodrome.

none of these are actual Turtle villians, all of these characters along with the Technodrome are all creations from the 80's cartoon not the actual comics. The real Turtles villians are Baxter Stockman (sociopathic black dude who created the Mousers not white dude who turns into a fly), Shredder and the Foot Clan, Complete Carnage, The Rat King, Karai, The Purple Dragons, and many more.

Guest DCAUFan1051

while I can respect the TMNT comics and the fact that Krang and bunch weren't in comic continuity it would be cool to see them in a TMNT movie. The Technodrome especially would be awesome.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon have brought Michael Bay and his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form on to produce Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the live-action film that reboots the film series launched by New Line in 1990. Bay, Fuller and Form will produce with Galen Walker and Scott Mednick.

The producers will begin meetings with writers in the next few weeks. The deal puts Bay in the center of two Paramount franchises, as he started production May 17 on Transformers 3, and is zeroing in on Rosie Huntington-Whitely to replace Megan Fox as love interest for Shia LaBeouf. TNMT, a co-production between Paramount and Nickelodeon, is an outgrowth of the $60 million acquisition made by Nick last October for global rights to the entire Turtles franchise. Right around the same time, Paramount made a first look deal with the Platinum Dunes partners, who will generate genre projects but also want to expand their scope. While they've already set up several projects including a Rob Cohen-remake of Fright Night, the Turtles film puts them into new territory.

Source

• 3 years later...