The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Having the entire week off for snow and then realizing you have to go back to school on Friday before the weekend, despite every other school staying closed. (I realize this is minor but this is the kind of bullshit high schoolers like me get annoyed about.)

Oh and I guess you could add having to spend the night in my car due to the parking lot of wrecks that filled up Birmingham streets, but to be honest I'm more worried about the going back to school part.

Working until 10pm just to make sure I can still start travelling south in the morning and still get home for the weekend. Waking up at 2am because of stress dreams about the job. Working way too hard and don't know why.

Why can't I just have a normal job. Please, somebody hire me to do a normal job. I've applied for enough of them!

Turns out that the $20/hour I thought I was making overtime at my old job is actually $14/hour, and I lose one hour of that in taxes on a 5 hour workweek.

Yeah, guess what, my time to cut them off just got moved up significantly. They've got till the end of Feb to hire, this is not worth what I'm getting paid.

Insert standard work grumble, blah blah. Suffice to say that a sudden trip to Aberdeen may prevent me from using a ticket I already bought to go see a showing of The Room.

I mean, I'm an independent contractor, I should have more options than "do this or never work for us again!"

I work in a fairly high end restaurant. We cook damn near everything over wood and from scratch. That takes time. If you and your nine adult, sober, professional looking friends come in five minutes before we close, consider yourself lucky I'm even cooking for you. Do not, however, take twenty fucking minutes to order, and then when the food is half done, cancel half of your fucking orders because "it's getting too late."

Fuck you and everyone that looks like you.

I on the other hand wondered into breakfast at my hotel with 3 minutes to spare and asked for a cooked breakfast. I think they gave me a break because I was slightly out of it and didn't know I was that close to the deadline at the time. But yeah, as a rule I wouldn't try that stuff.

Apparently, the problems I am having with internet speeds are entirely based upon my choice of internet browser. Somehow this choice also affects my iPod and Netflix thru the Nintendo Wii.

I say this with no hyperbole: Time Warner customer service are the worst people I have EVER had to deal with over the phone. I was hung up on thrice. I was blatantly ignored while I was talking.

Over the past three days they (as in a different person each time, naturally) have narrowed the problem down to:

- the modem

- the wireless router

- my laptop

- my internet browser

- my Wii

- Nintendo

- Netflix

Good thing I called. I thought my lack of milk in the refrigerator was causing everything to slow down. Thanks TWC.

Sounds like Shaw Cable up here.

SHAW: "Sir, it doesn't make sense to cancel your entire account, when we can work on your wireless with you. And Telus does not have a cable package." she said after I had phoned them 20-30 times in the span of two months.

ME: "No, you don't understand. You guys suck so bad that I'm giving up television." And that was 4 or 5 years ago. Still no cable. Netflix came along so I win,

Apparently, the problems I am having with internet speeds are entirely based upon my choice of internet browser. Somehow this choice also affects my iPod and Netflix thru the Nintendo Wii.

I say this with no hyperbole: Time Warner customer service are the worst people I have EVER had to deal with over the phone. I was hung up on thrice. I was blatantly ignored while I was talking.

Over the past three days they (as in a different person each time, naturally) have narrowed the problem down to:

- the modem

- the wireless router

- my laptop

- my internet browser

- my Wii

- Nintendo

- Netflix

Good thing I called. I thought my lack of milk in the refrigerator was causing everything to slow down. Thanks TWC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utGqpT-riZc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mailperson, I know that you're lazy. I saw you drive your truck down a narrow driveway/parking area for the condos next door to avoid having to get out of your damn truck and walk the quarter of a mile to deliver a tiny package (read: small flat rate priority box) to the door. Guess what? Marking my package as undeliverable (when the address was entered perfectly) and returning it to sender is absolutely unacceptable, especially when you clearly did it at the end of your day to, god forbid, have to do any work. Happily, I was able to call and get it pulled and walk five minutes over to get it thanks to a lovely postal worker. But really.

Roommate asks if it's alright if his friends stay with us for a day. Okay. Roommate informs us that they want to bring their dog with them. Less okay since our apartment requires a pet fee but as long as he keeps the dog in his room. Come home from D&D last night to find out that it's Dogs, not dog and their waterbowl is in our kitchen and they're saying longer. Not cool. Walk downstairs to put my lunch away and they're out of the room without anyone watching them. Yeah, so. Not. Cool.

Let me clear that I am in no way, shape, or form an animal person. I'm more angry over how my roommate let's people walk all over him. They drove from Missouri and purposely mislead him on facts and reneged on their side of the deal. I'm the one who's going to have to clean animal hair all over the apartment and hope that no one from the office sees the dogs and we have to pay retroactive pet fees. Not only that, but while I'm under no illusion that I'm getting my deposit back, I am sure as hell not going to pay for damages because of the fucking dogs if they tear something up.

• 2 months later...

I've been having a long, weird day, kind of aggravated by the fact that my father decided to randomly pull into town (but hey, at least I got the equivalent of a free pitcher of beer out of the equation). I decided to go down to my corner store to get more alcohol, because yes that.

I notice as I come in that at the counter, there is a man who is literally every worst stereotype of a nerd: balding, old, and with a Supes v Zod shirt trying to engage a cashier who is clearly not interested in talking. I go get my alcohol, and bring it up to the counter. Said cashier, who is a guy I know decently well and is sweet, asks who is on my shirt.

(This is the image on said shirt: http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.13665033.0270/flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg)

I say it's a punk interpretation of Nine. Other guy goes, are you sure that's who it is? I say yes, that's Christopher Eccleston. And he says, no, that's Ten. And then I counter with, well, yes, Hurt's appearance and Moffat's explanation for why he couldn't get Eccleston does make him Ten technically, but popular parlance puts him at Nine, so that's what I call him.

I mean, this is really your reaction to a stranger?? Holy shit. I feel so sorry for that cashier, that's not what he intended at all.

• 4 weeks later...

A hearty and sincere fuck you to the storms that have been battering my part of the state for the last week or so.

On top of giving us two near misses for tornadoes, said potential for more gave me some real nice anxiety attacks and made sure that for four consecutive nights of heavy storms, I only got four hours of sleep a night. I finally took off yesterday to get myself recalibrated.

And I thought that my garden hadn't sustained damage at all. Lolnope. Turns out that it broke one of the two major branches on my tomato plant, thus causing me to lose a large amount of green fruit and flowers. There's more flowers and branches growing on the base at least, so I'll take that, as it means it's not done and I can still get more fruits. Still, this knocked out at least half my harvest on that plant. Ugh.

In other news, anyone have suggestions for what to do with green tomatoes?