The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized something today.

In story, referring to Bruce Wayne as "the Batman" makes a lot of sense. It sounds cool, it harkens back to the Golden Age origin of the character as a slightly otherworldly presence, and accurately describes what he is: he's a Bat-Man.

In real life, when fanboys say things like "My favorite member of the Justice League is the Batman" I am overcome with a desire to punch that person in the dick.

Oi, roomie. It's almost two in the morning and you're only just now deciding to move your damn futon mattress back into the room. And you failed to tell me that the guy I only tolerate because he's your friend is apparently staying the night. The most sincere, and heartiest, of FUCK YOU, SIRs to you. Get the hell out of here already.

Roommate problem # 57467-5

Our washer/dryer just happen to be located in my bedroom closet. Poor design of the apartment, but it has been that way since before we moved in.

So, I am falling asleep on the couch and head to bed. Before I make it to the stairs, he turns the dryer on. I say 'hey, I'm going to bed so that is getting turned off.'. And he gets all pissy.

Turns out, he is going away for the weekend and needs these clothes. No simpathy from me. 1) don't leave these things to the last minute. 2) the dryer was not running for the last five hours. 3) it is my day off. I am going to sleep in. I will not wake up at 5am so you can use the dryer. 4) I will not stay up until 2am so you can finish.

You did not fucking plan your shit out. Not my problem.

Also, first time using my iPod to post. I do not like typing in this thing. Very ackward.

About a month ago, I had a meeting with my boss about problems that he had since I changed positions at work. Fair play.

Two days ago, I have a meeting with my boss. He agrees that I have busted ass and I got things done. However, I am being moved to another position because I was given a situation that was not ideal. I'm fine, but the people I have been given are not working good/hard enough. So, his solution is to take me (the guy getting shit done) away, while leaving the others (thumbs up their asses) where they are.

I'm not really that heartbroken about changing positions. I am just a little annoyed at the logic of the situation.

So yesterday I went on a shopping spree of sorts for classic video games, my friend Lisa was having a garage sale and I picked up a bunch of stuff for various systems, later that day I also buy a PS2 (in large part due to having a half dozen awesome PS2 games but no system).

I finally decide to hook up all the consoles I have (12 in total) instead of most of them being showpieces. I spend a good chunk of yesterday and today tearing this place apart and putting it back together (heavy cabinet and heavy old TV having to be moved around). Everything appears to have power to it and is connected to the TVs. Put everything back into place. At some point I nudged the chain of RF switches enough to have a haze on all of the systems with those on it, furthermore the Sega CD appears to not ant to power on, and now I can't reach behind the cabinet to fix the likely cause (The Sega CD's AC adapter is ridiculously large and likely fell out while everything got set).

So as it stands, I have to go to the local games dealer and plunk down the $40 to get some A/V cables for the RF systems, as well as buy another A/V splitter, while I'm at it, buy a new PS2 controller (because the ones I got with it are terrible). Once that is done, tear this place apart again to properly set everything in place and pray nothing falls apart when putting the cabinet back against the wall.

Also, why in God's name did anyone think those brick AC adapters were a good idea?

When I order a game in "Like New" condition, that means I expect it to, you know, not have a damaged case, a giant fuck you scratch right down the front of it, or a sticker on the disc with the name of the previous owner. I don't buy a new couch and take it home to realize someone pissed on the cushions.

Do you think I WON'T ask for a refund?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no power. This is not unheard of, but the five day waiting period seems a little excessive. The reason for that is I can see the pole that was knocked down. It is clear as day. Now fix it.

In a related note, I didn't notice anything yesterday. Yeah, wind, but nothing overly harsh. Yet driving around this morning looking for a place to charge the essentials (ipod & phone), shit got fucked up hardcore. Lots and lots of trees down, fences destroyed and something at the fairgrounds fell down. Yet, I was able to either sleep through this or block it out with a podcast. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so last night, I cut myself shaving. I wouldn't normally bitch, but I really, really cut my face, right on my jawline. It bled for like an hour, and while I'm trying to make a good impression in the new store I'm subbing in, every time I smile, I crack it open anew, and get a trickle of blood down my jaw.

I'm trying to make this new store think I'm not the violent sociopath you all know me to be. The commute is like five minutes and I'm trying to get my foot in the door.

For crying out loud, I'm even wearing a shirt with an actual collar.

If it's not one thing in this damn apartment, it's another. Food disposal in the sink broke on Wednesday, got fixed yesterday. But now the AC wall unit in my living room is dead, and we're coming up on some 90 degree days. Fuck this place. One more month till I'm out.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent today driving from Bristol to Birmingham to Manchester to Birmingham to London to Bristol. Between all the stops and deliveries it took 13 hours, in very humid sticky weather. It was miserable, I left at 7:30 and I only just got home. Now my OCD is telling me to drive back to the office to make sure I locked up correctly. For gods sake...

• 2 weeks later...

AGENDA ITEM: New Group Phone Number

ANY OTHER BOSS: To track group calls separately from annuity calls, we've launched a new phone number for group. The number is 800-555-1234.

MY BOSS: Are you finding that group calls are coming in on the annuity line? Is that because there IS no group line and that we keep giving group people the annuity number to call? Would you say that if we DID have a group number, and people called that number, there would be fewer group calls on the annuity line? We have been thinking about perhaps launching a new group line. There are four reasons for this, and the reasons for this are four in number. I'd like to delineate them now, but give the third reason first, then the second, then maybe the last one, with the first reason coming in last. Or was that first? I don't remember what I said. Can you read the minutes back to me? Okay, so first we wanted to make it toll free. That meant we had to decide whether to make it an 800 number, or perhaps an 888 number. 866 was another option available to us. However, after much thought and deliberation, we did decide to stick with the 800 prefix that we currently use, for continuity of business reasons. After that, we needed to investigate what exchanges were open to us. We tried to use 123, but that was unavailable. After much trial and error, during which we had to decide if we were truly married to the "3 digit exchange" idea, but eventually decided to keep because it was the only option the phone company would allow. Therefore, to make a long story short, we went with 555. Thus far, the new group number is shaping up to be 800-555, and then four mystery numbers. We were given fifteen options for what the final four digits should be. After a series of meetings, during which we discussed the options available for what the new group number should be, it came down to either 1234 or 9876. It was put to a vote, and the ballots were secret, so everyone in the meeting was given a sheet of paper to write down their choice. It was done on the honor system, so no one was allowed to look at what anyone else was voting for. Finally, the votes were counted, and it was a tie. Therefore, an impartial third party was brought in, and we made our cases for each number, and his arbitration was such that the new number would end in 1234. So to recap, we will be launching a new group line, and the number for that group line will be 800-555-1234. Do you think that if we give that number, the number which is 800-555-1234, out to the field, that they will begin to call that number, and thereby bypass the annuity line, which is where the calls are coming in now, and utilize the new 800-555-1234 number so that group business can be tracked separately? Will that work? In your experience, when people call a number, do they get the people they're trying to call?

Aargh.