The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i love the fact that I got told today that there still isn't any word on when we head back to America, however we were told that our base is so full at the moment, that whenever we do go back home there's nowhere for us to live.

I don't like the waiting time in between sending out submissions and receiving the seemingly-inevitable rejection.

On the flip side, some days I also don't like being a slush pile reader, as I am the one who sends out the form rejection for the anthology for which I read said slush pile. It's all a lot of copy/paste, insert writer's name. Unless it was something I rejected personally, I have no idea why. Nor can I say why, even if I know. And man oh man, sometimes I do know, and it's a helluva reason, like, "You should not be writing. Anything. Not even grocery lists."

And then, I wonder if slush pile readers at places where I submit think that kind of thing while they're busy rejecting my work.

*sigh*

Got KOTOR 2 a couple nights ago. It is still sold as brand new in the boxes the same way it has since it was released. Come to find out, it doesn't work with Vista for most people and there is no fix coming because they don't support it anymore. I see two problems with this:

1. If you are going to continue to press new copies and sell them in stores shrinkwrapped, why can't you update the game? By the end of this month there will have been two Microsoft operating systems out since the game was released.

2. How about changing the specs on the box. A big fat WILL NOT RUN IN VISTA would have saved me 20 bucks.

This isn't just about this game. They do it all the time with pc games. I can't figure out why MMOs still sell version 1.0 of the game and make you download gigs worth of patches before you can even make a character when they can easily put them on the discs every year or so.

Got KOTOR 2 a couple nights ago. It is still sold as brand new in the boxes the same way it has since it was released. Come to find out, it doesn't work with Vista for most people and there is no fix coming because they don't support it anymore. I see two problems with this:

1. If you are going to continue to press new copies and sell them in stores shrinkwrapped, why can't you update the game? By the end of this month there will have been two Microsoft operating systems out since the game was released.

2. How about changing the specs on the box. A big fat WILL NOT RUN IN VISTA would have saved me 20 bucks.

This isn't just about this game. They do it all the time with pc games. I can't figure out why MMOs still sell version 1.0 of the game and make you download gigs worth of patches before you can even make a character when they can easily put them on the discs every year or so.

Fortunately, KOTOR has an extensive mod community

Dad only now realizes that yes, they're serious about collecting this money, and that I lose financial aid and will be kicked out if this loan doesn't go through. And he still won't answer me if he has a plan to cover the money in case the loan fails.

Godfuckingdamnit.

Venneh, I really hope it sorts out soon for you.

I've not been able to sleep properly over the past few nights and have been up till 4 in the morning consistently and waking up at 10AM(some people on here, feel free to call me a lazy bastard)

But it's not a real problem in that it gives me a chance to look at my comic collection and put more stuff up on eBay.

So although I feel tired, it helps me with getting rid of most of my old comics, and make a few quid, so it's not too bad.

Least favorite part of the submission process:

Dear Nicolette Kittinger:

Thank you for your submission of "Scout's Honor" to SmokeLong Quarterly. Unfortunately, we are going to pass on this story.

Best,

Randall Brown

SmokeLong Quarterly

And it's a form letter, too.

Well, off to send of more form letters of my own*

*Schadenfreude? What's that :unsure: