The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I was modelling for an art class for figure drawing today. And I had a creepy old guy walk by the windows where he shouldn't be able to see down and actually bend over so he could see inside.

FML.

My bad. I thought I was being discrete. I even used the old "I dropped my pen" routine.

My work internet filters are starting to hack me off. I'm trying to make progress with my CR articles during breaks at work, so I send my updated Word document back and forth between work and home. Today, having added the last line of the film Wanted to one of my pieces, I find my inbox has rejected and deleted my email containing my CR document due to the word "fuck". As someone who doesn't rely on profanity to get a point across, I'm a bit aggrieved that I have to play about with emails because of one four letter word. It's bad enough that the E-2 mainpage/articles are blocked due to "Gambling", but I can handle any company mail that might feature a naughty word or two.

So, I was going to transfer my Xbox live id to another XBox but then I realize I forgot the password. I go to the compy to recover it and, turns out, the Windows Live ID has expired, can't be recovered, and my Tag is therefore stuck on my roomy's hard drive. I can either keep using his hard drive or I can start a new ID and then have to start over with my points, not that I have that many but now I have to start over on everything.

So, debating if this is major enough to go in the big stuff but I figure it's small over all but here goes. I'm taking a short fiction writing class and part of it is we have to workshop each others stories that we write. One of the stories that I had to read for tomorrow read like if Left Behind, Twilight, and the Sweet Valley High series has a baby which was then butchered with a chopping knife, tossed in a blender, and than served straight out Pauly Shore's mouth. It read like a third grade book report and the main character committed murder suicide for no reason at the end. Fry's story that he traps the Big Brain in in Futurama seemed more intelligent. This isn't even counting that the writer couldn't decide on tense, point of view, and a murder/suicide at the end for no reason. I have a headache and kinda want to look the kid in the eye and ask, "Have you thought of going into business?"

Guest DCAUFan1051

fell asleep around 10pm and now it's midnight and I can't sleep and I'm feeling like crap. It's time like these I'm so craving a damn Diet Coke!

So, debating if this is major enough to go in the big stuff but I figure it's small over all but here goes. I'm taking a short fiction writing class and part of it is we have to workshop each others stories that we write. One of the stories that I had to read for tomorrow read like if Left Behind, Twilight, and the Sweet Valley High series has a baby which was then butchered with a chopping knife, tossed in a blender, and than served straight out Pauly Shore's mouth. It read like a third grade book report and the main character committed murder suicide for no reason at the end. Fry's story that he traps the Big Brain in in Futurama seemed more intelligent. This isn't even counting that the writer couldn't decide on tense, point of view, and a murder/suicide at the end for no reason. I have a headache and kinda want to look the kid in the eye and ask, "Have you thought of going into business?"

In my defense, it was a good idea at the time.

Hah.

How much license do you have to tear this to shreads?

Also, didn't get a summer job at school, which means I'm at home for the summer. Whoo.

As a writer/editor (both an editorial reader and a copy editor), one of my "minor annoyances" is when people pick on writing in text, but don't render their complaint in a clean, professional way, making themselves look petty/hypocritical and making me feel embarrassed for them.

So, I'm debating if this is major enough to go with the big stuff, but I figure it's small overall, so here goes: I'm taking a fiction writing class and part of it includes workshopping each other's stories. One of the stories that I've had to read for tomorrow read as if Left Behind, Twilight, and the Sweet Valley High series had a baby, which was then butchered, tossed into a blender, and then served to someone straight out of Pauly Shore's mouth. It read like a third grade book report, and the main character committed murder, then suicide, at the end for no reason. The story Fry writes in which to trap the Big Brain in an episode of Futurama seemed more intelligent. This isn't even counting that the writer couldn't decide on tense, point of view, and had a murder/suicide at the end, for no reason. I have a headache and kind of want to look the kid in the eye and ask, "Have you considered going into business?"

That said: A MAJOR annoyance of mine (but it'll stay here because, well, it fits) is that EVERYONE thinks they are a writer. EV. ER. Y. ONE. dc20, I do not envy your being in that class. You are in my thoughts.

I went to bed at about 2AM last night, I slept until 12:30 this afternoon. I don't care that I got a late start (I have nothing to do except walk the dog today) but since I overslept like that, I'm going to be tired all day and by back hurts like hell.

Why is it that I can go to sleep around 1AM and yet, wake up for an hour at 4AM and get back to sleep round 5, and feel tired throughout the day and barely even think straight.

It's really annoying and really is starting to stop me from being able to do anything without it feeling like a bloody nightmare to do.

Fuck, I feel so tired and have no strength to do anything, it really is depressing.

As a writer/editor (both an editorial reader and a copy editor), one of my "minor annoyances" is when people pick on writing in text, but don't render their complaint in a clean, professional way, making themselves look petty/hypocritical and making me feel embarrassed for them.

So, I'm debating if this is major enough to go with the big stuff, but I figure it's small overall, so here goes: I'm taking a fiction writing class and part of it includes workshopping each other's stories. One of the stories that I've had to read for tomorrow read as if Left Behind, Twilight, and the Sweet Valley High series had a baby, which was then butchered, tossed into a blender, and then served to someone straight out of Pauly Shore's mouth. It read like a third grade book report, and the main character committed murder, then suicide, at the end for no reason. The story Fry writes in which to trap the Big Brain in an episode of Futurama seemed more intelligent. This isn't even counting that the writer couldn't decide on tense, point of view, and had a murder/suicide at the end, for no reason. I have a headache and kind of want to look the kid in the eye and ask, "Have you considered going into business?"

That said: A MAJOR annoyance of mine (but it'll stay here because, well, it fits) is that EVERYONE thinks they are a writer. EV. ER. Y. ONE. dc20, I do not envy your being in that class. You are in my thoughts.

Sorry about that. I take fault for it. I'm normally a bit of a grammar nerd as well though I was so irate last night that I decided to ignore it in favor of putting my thoughts out before I decided to write a nasty e-mail to the writer of the story. That all said, I skipped the class today so I wouldn't say something too mean to the kid. I'm sure other people were able to give him more constructive feedback.

You cannot expect tech crew, when you only get to us about the existence of this show two hours before the set up is supposed to happen, with other things happening tonight, to have everything you need.

FULL. FUCKING. SOUND.

AND LIGHTS.

AND THEY DIDN'T BOTHER TO TELL US UNTIL TODAY, THE DAY OF THE SHOW, THAT THEY NEEDED IT.

And it was real fun to explain that no, it's not the band's fault, that the people who booked them didn't bother to tell us till today, so, sorry, but you're boned, take it up with htem.

Guest DCAUFan1051

OK when I woke up at 11:15AM I thought hmm I should close the windows because it was getting too hot in the bedroom. After that was done I come out here to sit at my desk. All of a sudden the hallway smoke detector in the upper landing outside my door is going off. It's been going off for an hour and half. I made the neccessary calls and checked the other three residents to make sure nothing was burning and it wasn't so everyone's safe. But why would it go off like that? The issue has been resolved with a new one. 10 Year Warranty my ass!! Grrrrrr now I have that ringing in my ears damnit!

Guest DCAUFan1051

ugh these "tree trimming" people woke me up this morning with what looks like to be a giant tree cutter. They're outside in the courtyard in front of my building. So far it doesn't look like they've trimmed a lot, but gahhh the noise!!!!

At least they're not trimming the major part of the trees that have bloomed in the courtyard giveing it almost full shade.

There's a woman I want to ask out, but I'm consumed by butterflies and lost words.

Worse yet, knowing she loves music, there's a concert I want to take her to, but since I don't really know her musical sensibilities, Peaches might not be the best choice.