The minor annoyances thread

Missy

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out after they draw 50 vials of blood in one go trying to determine what's got you sick you kind of can't be afraid of anything ever again. That was the Christmas when they called to tell me "Merry Christmas, we think you might have cancer, can you please come in so we can draw about fifty vials of blood and do 3 MRIs to determine what the hell it is?" (Spoiler: combination of secondary lyme's disease, a mutant strain of strep throat, and also possibly a touch of cat scratch disease. All at the same time.)

My house just had it's standard yearly creepy visit from my friend's estranged family. There's no contact at her request, but every year they silently come by and drop off a massive amount of gifts for the family in the porch aimed at provoking contact or inspiring guilt. It's a useless gesture, it all goes straight to the charity shop but it does make everyone very uncomfortable. And they still give her husband the bare minimum gift they can think of, this time a puzzle for ages 8 and up. Even after they'd had their first kid her family didn't invite him over which you might understand except Jon's the nicest guy in the world and a great father. Those people are weird crazies.

I've been learning to drive since July, and it's costing me a fucking fortune. The main issue is, I just don't think I'm a very good driver, for some reason, I'm fine when i first get behind the wheel, but when i head out in traffic, I just freeze up, and I don't commit many serious mistakes, just dozens of small ones that can actually be more dangerous than the serious mistakes I've made in the past.

It's driving me nuts, I want to spend my summer break to learn how to drive, and get my license in September, it's the end of the year, and I think I'm no closer to actually being able to legally drive a car by myself. I don't know why I just freeze up, panic and make so many stupid mistakes, I just keep contemplating the worst every time I get behind the wheel, and while focusing on those issues, I somehow cause other problems, like the car stalling at lights, or rolling backwards while driving up hills.

Once you have a party concept, stick to it.

My friend's annual NYE party was an ugly sweater party this year. Wear an ugly sweater you found at a thrift store an such. I thought it was lame, but whatever. Now, his NYE parties are always no booze and low key. We watch some Bowl Games, play a video/board game, watch the ball drop and carry on our gaming. Occasional confetti poppers.

However, his wife decided to invite some of her friends this year. They did not get the no booze memo. So instead of a fun night, we get myself, the party host and his brother sitting in the other room being annoyed by the drunk people in the other room. Highlights include:

- vomitting

- drunken cheating (and drama thereafter)

- shitty pop music

- grown (subjectively grown. 25ish years old, maturity of a cabbage) men punching each other in the junk. Repeatedly.

And to top it off, my friend has to let most of them crash, while I ended up playing the DD.

Seriously, if the party is started as a no booze affair, LEAVE IT THAT FUCKING WAY.

Why are guys so dumb? (No offense to half of these boards.)

Friend of the roomie's rang the doorbell about half an hour ago unexpectedly, so I'm kind of attempting to wake up all the way right about now. I find out within ten minutes of him getting in the door that they're looking to cook the frozen turkey that they've just laid on the counter, today. Uhm, dude, it's gonna need at least three days to properly thaw unless you want all the food poisoning.

So yeah, I got abruptly woken up for a turkey that is not happening. I'm not amused right now.

Why are guys so dumb? (No offense to half of these boards.)

I get asked a variation of that every now and then, always relating to cooking or doing laundry. The short answer is that most guys under the age of 30 are still learning how to do various things that were previously done for them, usually by their mothers. Daughters and mothers spend more time cooking together; sons and mothers don't as often. So things that would normally only be taught to you through instruction (like how long it takes to thaw a turkey) wouldn't have seeped in. For instance, just reading your story, I was actually surprised to know how long it took a turkey to thaw, since I've really only got experience cooking chickens and those take only a day or so, less if you let them sit in a tub of water.