Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Missy

From the official site:

Rockstar Games and Interscope Records Announce Partnership for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Soundtrack.

Rockstar Games and Interscope Records proudly announce a joint venture for the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. The details surrounding the artists and track listings on the soundtrack will be kept tightly under wraps until the weeks leading up to the game's launch this October. Stay tuned for more information.

Amazon.com lists the CD with a release date of November 23, but they don't have a track listing either.

1. What songs are in the game?

2. Is Lazlo back on the talk station?

From gtasanan.com

Soundtrack

When compared to Vice City, San Andreas features an incredible three times as many radio stations. Each station contains their own style/uniqueness, and tons of liscensed music. Stations include:

* SF-UR

* Flash FM

* Hit Radio

* K Jah West FM

Confirmed genres include:

* Country

* Rock

* Funk/Soul

* Reggae House

* Alternative

* Hip Hop

In order to maximise the game's success, Rockstar Games have partnered with Interscope Records, part of the Universal Music group.

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas takes place in the early 1990's in a fictional west coast setting, so fans of the blockbuster series can expect the soundtrack to cover the full spectrum of music genres and reflect the sound, vibe and feel of the FM radio dial from that time period," stated Terry Donovan, CEO of Rockstar Games. "The in-game radio stations featured in Grand Theft Auto have been one of the most celebrated and revolutionary aspects of the game since its inception. Through our partnership with Interscope Records, we are confident that the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas soundtrack will continue to reach new standards of excellence and creativity, and will exceed anything that the video game industry or Hollywood have ever produced in terms of size, scope and depth."

"We are happy to be working with Rockstar Games on the soundtrack to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas," said Jimmy Iovine, Chairman of Interscope Geffen A&M Records. "I believe that the enormous effort both companies have made in putting the soundtrack together has resulted in something truly special that will be reflected in both the game and the soundtrack albums." Developed by world class designers Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is the next installment in the blockbuster franchise that has redefined interactive entertainment and has exceeded 32 million units in total worldwide sales to-date.

- Take-2 Interactive

As for the music itself - we know very little at the moment. Death Row Records announced that 3 of their songs will appear in San Andreas, although, the announcement was later removed (without a doubt, requested by Rockstar Games).

"We have three songs from our catalog appearing on the upcoming Rockstar Games release 'Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas'. The songs that will be playing while you jack cars, recruit gang members, and make drug deals are 'Let Me Ride', 'Nuthin' But A G Thang', and 'Gin & Juice'. The game will be released October 2004."

- Death Row Records Website

Regarding Lazlow, the faq section of the site says he is, and I see no reason not to believe them, but who knows? I hope so though.

From IGN.com

RADIO:X - The Alternative

DJ - Sage

Format - Modern Rock

Station Description: Finally, there IS an alternative. The home of Modern Rock. This is a revolution. Guitars, nihilistic hedonism, and telling the elder generation to go screw themselves. Nobody has done this before. We are original thinkers. We are free. Sage leads the navel gazing; she is a remarkable talent. (Sample Track: Killing in the Name by Rage Against The Machine)

BOUNCE FM

DJ - The Funktipus

Format - Funk

Station Description: The indescribable Funktipus plays the indefinable funk. The sound that has had Los Santos partying for twenty years is now on 'The Party', on Bounce FM. The Funktipus will open your eyes to what is really happening out there. (Sample Track - Funky Worm by Ohio Players)

K-ROSE

DJ - Mary-Beth Maybell

Format - Country

Station Description: A broken heart never sounded so good. Country and Western music broadcast from Bone County across the whole state of San Andreas. All of the biggest artists, all of the best music. With the Widow Queen of the Prairie, Mary-Beth Maybell. (Sample Track - Crazy by Willie Nelson)

RADIO LOS SANTOS

DJ - Julio G

Format - West Coast Hip-Hop

Station Description: Julio G breaks the sound of the streets. This is the West Coast taking over. (Sample Track - I Don't Give a F**k by 2 Pac)

K-DST

DJ - Tommy "The Nightmare" Smith

Format - Classic Rock

Station Description: Tommy Smith, formerly with 1970s progressive rock act, Crystal Ship, has now taken up residence on the home of driving rock radio. K-DST 'The Dust' plays non-stop classic rock and roll. (Sample Track - Two Tickets to Paradise by Eddie Money)

MASTER SOUNDS 98.3

DJ - Johnny "The Love Giant" Parkinson

Format - Rare Groove

Station Description: The world's smallest giant, Johnny Parkinson, takes you on a musical, spiritual and sexual journey with a sound track of nonstop classics. The giants of soul, rare groove and just a little classic funk, hosted by the giant himself. Remember, height is not a number. (Sample Track - The Payback by James Brown)

SF-UR

DJ - Hans Oberlander

Format - House

Station Description: Quality house music, from deep in the underground, brought to you by an excitable German. This is music for people in the know. (Sample Track - Break 4 Love by Raze)

CSR 103:9

DJ - Philip "PM" Michaels

Format - New Jack Swing and Modern Soul

Station Description: Chart-topping and club friendly hits, brought to you by Philip 'PM' Michaels, entertainer. New Jack Swing and modern soul from today's hottest acts. Where soul meets preppy. Philip is also available for weddings, funerals and Bar Mitzvahs. (Sample Track - Poison by Bell Biv Devoe)

PLAYBACK

DJ - Forth Right MC

Format - Classic Hip-Hop

Station Description: The mouthiest man in hip-hop, Forth Right MC, brings real hip-hop to the left coast. East Coast sensibilities and Forth Right's unique brand of conspiracy theory lead you in a history lesson. (Sample Track - Children's Story by Slick Rick)

K-JAH RADIO WEST

DJ - Marshall Peters & Johnny Lawton

Format - Dub/Reggae

Station Description: From JA to SA. The legendary Marshall Law sound system has moved from Kingston to San Andreas, bringing with them the best in dancehall, raga, reggae and dub. It's one love as Peters and Lawton argue about everything. (Sample Track - Chase The Devil by Max Romeo & The Upsetters)

WCTR TALK RADIO

DJ - It's a secret

Format - Talk Radio

Station Description: It's a secret (Sample Track - Also a secret!)

Hopefully Laz Lowe (how do you spell his name anyway?) will be the Talk radio DJ. I hated the one in Vice City. Sounds like an awesome lineup, and I probably won't have to go to mp3's for quite some time (on the PC version of course, which will hopefully be out in time for my birthday, though next summer is more likely).

Aain, from IGN.com

October 18, 2004 - Rockstar has announced that they will be releasing a double-CD soundtrack as well as an eight CD box set for the upcoming Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Both of these are set to hit the streets on November 23, almost a month after the release of the game. The double-CD will have 23 songs from San Andreas and a full song list has been released, but there are no details about the full box set.

As an extra incentive, the double-CD will include a bonus DVD that includes "The Introduction," a cinematic intro to the game. This tells the full story of what happened to CJ before the events of San Andreas. This is the only place to find the prequel and should be a solid reason for picking up the soundtrack.

As for the tracks themselves, the eight CD box set will devote a CD for each of the eight radio stations in the game itself while the double-CD will be a mix of songs taken from all of the different stations. The different genres that are being included are contemporary west coast and classic east coast hip-hop, funk, rare groove, new jack swing and contemporary soul, alternative rock, classic rock, reggae and country. The songs themselves are selected from the early 90's, which is when the game takes place.

The only song that is not from the actual time period is AFI's cover of Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like a Hole." This cover has been done exclusively for the soundtrack.

CD 1

1. The Theme From San Andreas

2. Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name

3. 2 Pac - I Don't Give A F***

4. James Brown - The Payback

5. Ronnie Hudson - West Coast Poplock

6. Guy - Groove Me

7. Eddie Money - Two Tickets To Paradise

8. Cypress Hill - How I Could Just Kill A Man

9. The Maytals - Pressure Drop

10. Slick Rick - Children's Story

11. Rick James - Cold Blooded

12. Raze - Break 4 Love

CD 2

1. Ohio Players - Funky Worm

2. Heart - Barracuda

3. Compton's Most Wanted - Hood Took Me Under

4. Lyn Collins - Think About It

5. Public Enemy - Rebel Without A Pause

6. Faith No More - Midlife Crisis

7. Bell Biv Devoe - Poison

8. Max Romeo & The Upsetters - Chase The Devil

9. Eric B & Rakim - I Know You Got Soul

10. Willie Nelson - Crazy

Bonus Track:

11. AFI - Head Like A Hole

I'm on the fence about the songs thus far.

I agree. I thought Vice City music was gonna suck at first but then it turned out to be pretty decent. Have Rage on there is a good sign. I'll listen to the chat station anyway.

I don't know, when I saw Rage on there, I immeadiatelty thought :no: . That band, at least to me, is such an asininely hypocritical band that I can't stand, and their lyrics and message just anger me. How can you sing about anti-capitalism when you, yourself, go as far as putting your band name on underwear and thongs in an effort to make a buck.

Do your folks not condone M-rated games, or do you anticipate not being able to purchase it because of your age?

My folks just don't allow M-Rated games, I have gotten GTA3 into the house before though, so its not a real problem.

Damn. My dad's the same way with my fifteen year old brother.

Rockstar has put up a preview of the DJ's and radio stations (except for the talk radio, which indicates to me that Laz is back on the talk station). Just go here. Click on soundtrack, and launch the soundtrack player.

Anyway, most of the radio stations look pretty good. The only one I don't like is the techno/house station, but the DJ's too crazy to not listen to it in the game.