What are you reading?

Missy

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have, on my computer desk in front of me, no less than 16 unread books that I'm currently using to hold up a model TARDIS and a bag of Sun Chips. Some of them have been there for two years. Every day is a reminder of what a terrible person I am for letting my reading fall by the wayside. However, I am physically unable to refrain from purchasing books when in a bookstore. I literally have piles of books, waist-high, waiting to be read.

• 1 month later...

Got some books on the way thanks to holiday money:

Books of Blood 1-3, The Hellbound Heart, and Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Film Form: Essays in Film Theory by Sergei Eisenstein

The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt by Lotte H. Eisner and Roger Greaves

The Films of Fritz Lang: Allegories of Vision and Modernity by Tom Gunning

Metropolis by Thea Von Harbou

Got some books on the way thanks to holiday money:

Books of Blood 1-3, The Hellbound Heart, and Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker

Film Form: Essays in Film Theory by Sergei Eisenstein

The Haunted Screen: Expressionism in the German Cinema and the Influence of Max Reinhardt by Lotte H. Eisner and Roger Greaves

The Films of Fritz Lang: Allegories of Vision and Modernity by Tom Gunning

Metropolis by Thea Von Harbou

I approve of all of those.

Currently reading:

Eisner/Miller

"Breaking Eggs" by Soares and Newton

"Geek Confidential" by Rick Klaw

When done, need to organize a TBR pile.

Getting back into by book-reading ways after getting my kindle, so here's the first two-

I Shall Wear Midnight- Terry Pratchett

It's a testament to the imagination and creativity of the man that his ability remains undimmed by Alzheimers, in fact this is probably his best book of recent times. I dearly love the Discworld series and this is a perfect example of the strength of Pratchett's characters and the series as a whole.

Nerd Do Well- Simon Pegg

Bleh. Love the man himself but big chunks of this was taken up with a fictional account of Pegg and his robot butler solving a mystery or something, and most of the rest of was confined to his early pre-fame life. I don't blame the man for not providing a tell-all account of his celebrity life, but I'd like to know what it's like to work with people like Bill Bailey and Kevin Eldon, or any of the countless other comedy heroes of mine who basically just get lip service. That's not to say he doesn't appreciate them, it's just that we don't get to know much about them, even through anecdotes. Plus the whole thing was really short. I still hold Mick foley's Mankind up as the best autobiography I've read, because it explains a life as a narrative and incorporates all the humour and passion that made it worth noting. Pegg sort of flits between doing telling jokes as a small child and the joy of meeting George Romero, you don't really get why this stuff means so much to him, he just tells you it does.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, back when I was at Montana for Thanksgiving, my mom and I had an accident. I left a book, Small Gods by Terry Pratchett in the car and didn't get it back when I left. My dad ended up reading and has apparently been on a Terry Pratchett spree since then. So yeah, I accidentally introduced my dad to Discworld to the point that he's giving me reading suggestions. Wooo!

Been rereading the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay. Found it in middle school, excellent blend of fantasy, Celtic lore, and Arthurian legend. Basic premise is that five university students are recruited to show up at one of the countries of the first of all worlds' fiftieth anniversary of reign, and end up being drawn into a larger conflict. 's not an easy one to find, as I'm pretty sure the books are out of print now, but Amazon has a section up for reading on each book, and I recommend doing so if you're intrigued.

• 1 month later...

Reading Great Philosophers Who Failed at Love.

This is the first and only time I'll ever be able to compare myself to Nietzsche.

To be fair, if I could compare you to Nietzsche on a regular basis, I probably would be disgusted with you. Some of the man's ideas were pretty reprehensible. So yeah, not being compared to Nietzsche isn't a bad thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Losers by Michael Lewis - Easily my favourite non fiction author. This was about the 1996 GOP primaries and was a great and frustrating read. Frustrating in that it seemed to be a pre-cursor to where we are now, people only after the idea of being president/prime minister, and having absolutely no idea of what to do once they are there. Or worse yet, having no intention of doing anything once you are there.

One side note on it, it paints McCain as someone who you would have actually wanted to be running things. The McCain of 1996 that is, not the McCain that the GOP moulded for the following 12 years. I got the same feeling reading an Obama book, all the best intentions, but once the political machines grinds away at you, you're merely an empty shell of your former self.

One side note on it, it paints McCain as someone who you would have actually wanted to be running things. The McCain of 1996 that is, not the McCain that the GOP moulded for the following 12 years. I got the same feeling reading an Obama book, all the best intentions, but once the political machines grinds away at you, you're merely an empty shell of your former self.

I'll admit, in 2000, I was excited for McCain trying to get the nomination. He was trying to work with everyone and didn't care about Party lines one way or another. Then, when he failed, he decided to be the smart politician and change everything about his stances just to stand a chance at the nomination. One of the two reasons I didn't vote for him 8 years later is because I knew that any man who could do that so easily was not someone I wanted in power. The book sounds interesting, might give it a read.

Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings- Obviously started because of the TV show, I'm now deep into what would be considered the second season. I've gotta say, without the TV I'd never have gotten around to this, I already got it free for my kindle and deleted it once because I knew I was never going to touch it. So glad I'm getting around to it, it's a brilliantly constructed world. Every chapter takes place from the POV of a character, so you really get to know these key players well. People like Tyrion and Arya are fantastic protagonists. So much is going on throughout the story that you know at some point it's all going to come to a head in a big way. Looking forward to powering through the rest of these this summer.

• 4 weeks later...

The Dark Tower: Best thing of King's I've read, and I was a huge fan in high school. Never read this, though. Heartily enjoying it.

Preston, I am about to give you some huge advice, perhaps the best advice of your life. About ten pages from the end of the last book, you will be advised by King to stop reading. Do so.

Well, that'll certainly be interesting to see. :P

My job allows me large amounts of downtime, so I've been tearing through quite a few books. Off the top of my head in the last week or so:

-Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

-World War Z (my favorite of the two Max Brooks zombie books)

-Anansi Boys