The Last Guardian

JackFetch

• 1 month later...

This has an official name now... The Last Guardian.

I'm quite excited for this despite my fears that I'm not going to enjoy it nearly as much as Shadow of the Colossus.

• 6 months later...

From 1up.

In the pages of Famitsu magazine this week, Team ICO head Fumito discussed the current state of The Last Guardian, his team's latest title and one that touched off a flurry of excited coverage at E3 and the Tokyo Game Show last year.

We haven't heard much about Ueda since those events -- mainly because he's been too busy working to say a lot. "I concentrated mostly on game development in 2009, so I don't have much of an impression on which way the industry went last year," he told Famitsu. "There were titles I was looking forward to as a gamer, of course, but I don't think there was anything that really surpassed my expectations. That may just be me getting old, though."

Part of Ueda's relative reclusion is due to the way he's approaching his current project. "I really appreciate the great response [The Last Guardian] has received overseas, but I admit that I'm trying not to listen to too much outside commentary right now," he said. "I want to avoid putting more pressure on myself than I need. With this project, especially, our studio's getting a lot more fan support than we had with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, which in turn adds to the pressure. Lately, as a result, I've just been trying to keep my head in my work instead."

What's Team ICO working on now, then? Primarily, getting the eponymous guardian's look and feel down to perfection. "The presence and lifelike-ness of the creature is the most important aspect of the game, so that's what we're devoting ourselves to right now," Ueda commented. "Wrangling such a huge creature in HD resolution is harder than anything we've done before, but we're gradually getting it where we want to be. I'd also like people to pay attention to the player character and how he moves, too. His animation is extremely deep and fits in with the physics engine in ways we haven't done before."

That's great and all, of course, but when are we gonna see it? "I can't say much now, but I'd like to get more info out during the year," Ueda said. "We have yet to decide whether that'll be at E3 or during the Tokyo Game Show, however."

And as for a release date? "We're pinning one down at the moment. Once we decide upon one, I think it'll get into stores pretty quickly."

• 6 months later...
--1up

The last time we got to see any public showing of The Last Guardian, it was way back at Tokyo Game Show last year. Now it looks like the next public showing will be at Tokyo Game Show this year, as Fumito Ueda has tweeted he'll be in attendance and should have "something to show."

As Andriasang reports, Ueda's tweet was in response to a fan asking him if he was, in fact, the real Fumito Ueda and not a Twitter imposter. Ueda's response: "Yes, it's me. Thank you for the support. We should be able to show something at Tokyo Game Show, so look forward to it."

No, he doesn't specifically mention The Last Guardian, but unless we see a highly unlikely scenario where The Last Guardia was canceled and Ueda has been at work on an entirely new game, then The Last Guardian is probably what he meant. Also recall that back during E3 in June, we asked Sony's Ron Eagle why The Last Guardian was a no-show, to which he responded that "there's more dates on the calendar than just E3. More events. Read into that what you will."

Put two and two together, and, yeah, looks like we'll more than likely finally see more on The Last Guardian at TGS. The show kicks off next month on September 16.

• 2 years later...

Confirming our suspicions, Sony Computer Entertainment President and CEO Jack Tretton has confirmed that The Last Guardian is "on hiatus."

The last time IGN actually saw the game was nearly three years ago, at the 2010 Tokyo Game Show. Since then, Sony's beleaguered project mainly made headlines for its absence from key trade shows and events.

Long in development at SCE Studios Japan, The Last Guardian was initially announced as a Team ICO PS3 project at E3 2009. Sony rumblings from as recently as February 2013 indicated that the game might have been moved to PS4, but it's now clear that the project has been put on hold instead.

I am never going to be able to play this goddamn game.

Such is the issue with development hell. Their director went freelance and their project developer flat out left the company. The remainder of the team has likely been spread out to other projects for a while. Sony just never saw the game as a huge priority.

• 1 year later...