• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't be the only one that laughed inappropriately at the furry sex.

Oh, very much so. My reaction made everyone in my group laugh and get dirty looks. I wish I could pretend to care.

I just realized a huge problem with the plot of the movie. I am very much a believer in Chekhov's Gun. If you state that the main character's brother was murdered, you better at least hint at who did it. You don't just start the movie with "Your brother was murdered" without at least attempting to resolve the plotline. If you needed to kill him off, fine, kill him off. A car crash works just as fine and doesn't add a loose end.

The impression that I got from the opening monologue was that his brother was killed by a mugger.

So a week before he was about to ship out... a guy with a gun ends his journey... for the paper in his wallet.

Yup, it was a symptom of man's inhumanity to man. A car accident wouldn't be nearly as emblematic of the problems with human culture. It also serves to inform us that humanity is not some utopian empire, this and other hints lead us to understand that earth is a deeply flawed place.

That's a shame. It's NSFW but I've seen far worse things on youtube.

I'm sure it still exits on Newgrounds, so I'll edit the link later.

I've decided to go and see it this weekend. I think this is the first film that's been released in 3D at my local cinema, so I don't really have any excuse not to see it, especially since it seems to defy most people's expectations.

After thinking about this (and seeing Up in the Air last night), it is a fucking travesty that Avatar won best picture.

Cameron's best director win was also completely undeserved, when compared to the brilliant work that Kathryn Bigelow did on The Hurt Locker. Give that woman the Oscar, please!!!

It's official: As expected, James Cameron's Avatar on Monday officially pulled ahead of Cameron's other big movie, about some boat, to become the biggest-grossing movie of ALL TIME.

Twentieth Century Fox said that the sci-fi epic had amassed an estimated global total box office take of $1.8437 billion, just ahead of Titanic's worldwide total of $1,843,201,268, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The worldwide crown isn't adjusted for inflation, and Avatar's high grosses were certainly boosted by higher ticket prices overall and especially for 3-D and IMAX screenings. (Check BoxOfficeMojo for the full list of inflation-adjusted grosses.)

So if you haven't seen Avatar yet, you're the only one.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/01/its-official-avatar-is-no.php

20 years ago there weren't even 4000 theatres in the country and that's what a wide release gets these days. It's fuckdiculous.

I haven't seen Titanic and I guess I'm the only one who hasn't seen Avatar and I'm proud.

Look at the profit margin! You better believe it HAD to take in that much money when it cost half a billion to make the fucking thing. God. How many people could that feed?

I thought the lead baddie was great personally. So over the top in every way, but he was million times better for it. I almost died of laughter when he pulled a knife out of his mech. He probably hunts sharks with his bare hands when he’s not on duty.

Which is exactly why I loved him... So. Damn. Much. Not only am I going to be getting the Avatar mech toy, but I'm also getting a Colonal Quadritch (sp?) action figure. Yeah, he was one dimensional as hell, but Stephen Lang just took that single dimension and played the hell out of it. He knew that he was playing a 2nd tier pulp villain and clearly said to himself, "To hell with it, I'm going to Disneyland!" and had fun with it.

I just loved-loved-loved that final fight. I kept thinking, "He's indestructible! He's a human terminator! DAMN! Now, that's a knife!"

It says something that, when talking about the movie for the first time at the local comic shop, I could not restrain myself from reenacting the "take a deep breath, kick down the door, and shoot after the helicopter scene" in the middle of the store. We were all talking about that guy with big, goofy grins on our faces and we just could not keep from laughing.

Yeah, he's a fun as hell villain. He also has the best line in the movie: "If there's a hell, then you might want to go there for some R & R." :D